PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Power 1989 Honda Accord LX

prodgerson
12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I have an issue with my 1989 Honda Accord LX. Twice now when I drive the Honda (in the morning when it’s cold about five miles the engine just stops running.) I am able to pull it off to the side off the road and it starts back up right away. The problem does not happen after that. I just had the alternator checked and it was ok.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Pete Rodgerson

Dr_Snooz
12-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Welcome! I'm not sure but I'd start looking for loose wires, starting with the battery cables. Is there anything happening with your dash lights when this happens?

lostforawhile
12-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I have an issue with my 1989 Honda Accord LX. Twice now when I drive the Honda (in the morning when it’s cold about five miles the engine just stops running.) I am able to pull it off to the side off the road and it starts back up right away. The problem does not happen after that. I just had the alternator checked and it was ok.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Pete Rodgerson
i have a post on here somewhere about carb icing, type carb icing in the search box . is your hot air system hooked up properly? what about the efe heater under the carb?

lostforawhile
12-19-2009, 09:44 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63643

A20A1
12-20-2009, 12:37 AM
I agree with Lost, check that your heater hose is connected and hot air door is working.

Also check your coolant level and if the coolant line to the intake manifold and carb get warm. The coolant line to the carb runs under the intake manifold and up to the back of the carb, connecting to the carb base. Testing your heater is way to see if coolant is flowing and is a good indicator for failed water pumps, but I don't think that's your problem.