PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

colby13r
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
So a few weeks ago I replaced the coolant temp sensor. and it fixed all my problems. until two nights ago. i stopped at kinkos for maybe 25 minutes, i get back in my car, start it up, and it sounds just fine, then it dies. i start it again, dies right off again. third time i start it, and give it some gas to hold it around 2k rpm as i back out of my spot. then when i go from gas to brake, it dies before i can get the clutch in, first gear, then get back on the gas. so i start it up, give it gas and pull into a spot and let off the gas and it died. so i sat there and tried to think what was up. eventually i just nutted up and drove home, making sure never to completely let off the gas, so i used the hand brake at stop lights so i could idle it around 1.5k. and i got it home, and i pulled into my driveway, let it idle without help, and it stayed going, but it was idling down around 400 rpm. normal is just about 1k. if the engine is cold, it starts and stays running, but thats only because when its cold it idles at around 2k to warm up. but if its not doing that, or having me on the gas a bit, it'll die.

so after hours on these forums, i cant find any similar cases. other than one, saying it could be the main relay. which, is possible, but i hear it click so i think my relay is fine. or the fuel pump, which i hear spin for around 2 seconds when i turn the key, so i think thats fine too.

my ideas:
-air filter dirty?
-water condensation in the gas tank?
-alternator going?

one other thing, the check engine light went off when i changed the sensor. but last night i checked the ecu flashing led. it still blinks 6 times. was i supposed to reset the ecu after i changed the sensor? why is it still flashing?

also, when i start the car i hear a belt squeeling under the hood. how do i tell which one it is, and could that be causing any problems that cause it to kill itself?

itzdave
12-21-2009, 05:56 PM
i dunno much about the EFI 3geez, but i would first say that im pretty sure its NOT the alternator.
id check the air filter, but id def change the fuel filter/s. if ya think ya might have water in the fuel, i know u can buy some HEET or something similar to help kill the water.
about the belt- id play around with each one and check to make sure they arent too loose, and that they arent in too bad of shap. if its all cracked and stuff, change it. if ya find one thats loose, tighten it...

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm assuming you're driving an injected model. Did you perform the diagnostic procedure outlined in the manual for the TW sensor or just replace the sensor? If you didn't perform the diagnostic, now would be the time. The '89 manual is available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). The diagnostic begins on p. 12-26.

Let us know what you learn.

colby13r
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
so here is what i found out:

i took it to a shop in town today and the guy said basically this after testing the spark plugs and starting it about a hundred times:

-its either the main relay or ignition module. those you can replace yourself. if its not those ill have to tear into the distributer. he also said dont put the relay back where you found it, just as ive read on the forums.

so if the main relay is about to die, how does the relay act? what are the signs of a going ignition module as well?