PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer needle shakes?

Haxxorz
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
So i've noticed that off and on, that when I drive somewhere my tachometer is totally fine but my speedometer needle will shake as i accelerate or maintain a certain speed. Does my speedometer cable need to be replaced/adjusted? Its surprisingly annoying when you can't see whether your going 40mph or 45mph. =/ Any help?

2ndGenGuy
12-22-2009, 10:59 PM
You probably can just lube the cable up to make it quit. But a new cable will fix the problem too. I've seen cable lubers that will penetrate the outer shell of the cable, and then you attach the plastic tube from the WD-40 (or whatever) can and it forces oil down the cable. You might even be able to get away with doing that without removing the cable from the car, which is nice!

Haxxorz
12-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Alright, i'll look into doing that. I would rather not remove the cable which could prove to be more of a hassle. I'm assuming a cable luber could be found at carquest or autozone?

Sh4d0w
12-22-2009, 11:35 PM
that or google, I'm guessing

DBMaster
12-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Actually, you can pull the inner cable from the jacket by removing the clip and pulling the inner cable from the end connected to the speed sensor on the transmission. I did mine a couple of times like that. I use white lithium grease on it. That may work for a while, but I would actually recommend just getting a new cable. Mine still shook after the second time I lubed it. Maybe the inside of the plastic jacket gets rough spots, I don't know.

Haxxorz
12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah, alright. How hard is replacing the speedometer cable? Does it require taking out the cluster? If so i may say screw that cuz it works fine for the most part and its like 30 degrees out. I've looked through that Haynes manual and couldn't find any clear instruction on it, advice?

ShyBoyCA6
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, alright. How hard is replacing the speedometer cable? Does it require taking out the cluster? If so i may say screw that cuz it works fine for the most part and its like 30 degrees out. I've looked through that Haynes manual and couldn't find any clear instruction on it, advice?

yeah it has like 12 screws i think but if you dont want to mess anything up just leave it as is my shakes alot but change the o2 sensors and working fine now and probably shake cause its cold lol

LewZur
12-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Actually, you can pull the inner cable from the jacket by removing the clip and pulling the inner cable from the end connected to the speed sensor on the transmission. I did mine a couple of times like that. I use white lithium grease on it. That may work for a while, but I would actually recommend just getting a new cable. Mine still shook after the second time I lubed it. Maybe the inside of the plastic jacket gets rough spots, I don't know.

I did the same thing to mine and it works great.

Bluntman
12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
$21.79 plug and play.http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Pwi&resnum=0&q=1988+honda+accord+dx+speedometer+cable&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=uxwzS-WNEJGIswOM0fXPBA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCcQrQQwAg

MessyHonda
12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
yeah i wanted to swap out my cable but all i did is lube it up

Pnem3
12-24-2009, 04:01 PM
My speedometer is so far off that I just go by my GPS most of the time. You can find one on Craigslist for $50 or so. It might be a solution for you.