PDA

View Full Version : How much will these repairs cost?

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot, so if it is please correct me.

I'm DEF selling my Mustang to fix my Accord, but I'm wondering how much I should try and get for it. I would like to fix the Accord so it can be daily driven AND have about $400 left over. I need:

Clutch
Brake Master Cylinder
Ball joint (upper front left)
half shaft (front right)

Think $1300 would be enough to fix all that and have some left over? I figure some folks here have had to do some of that stuff before.

2ndGenGuy
12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh god $1300 would take care of that and some.

Clutch: $100-120 for a kit.
Brake MC: $60
Ball joint: $60
Half shaft: $60

charliekuney
12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I think Les Schwab will do the ball joint and half shaft for about $300, maybe less. I had an estimate for both parts on both sides plus both CV boots and it came to about $600 with installation. Clutch? Do it yourself and save that much more.

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I've never changed a clutch before, but I know a guy that could do it for $200. Mechanic quoted me $600 (that's better than the $950 Firestone quoted the previous owner).

mykwikcoupe
12-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I just did a clutch for a family friend. he has a 86 lx and had a cheapo clutch put in. Lasted about 30-40k on dialy driving rush our traffic with him driving like a grandma. im talking best case scenerio. I pulled it out and it was like beyong shot. @ of the springs on the disc had been removed from the holders and the other 2 just wobbled in it like it was ready to fall out any second. The pressure plate felt like melted butter and just collapsed under the weight of the foot. No pressure at all. I installed OEM stock Honda parts for 360 in parts and it feels and reacts great again. It took a while to convince him into it butI think the end result was worth it. I looked on hondacarparts.com and they same parts are 220 i think for the dics bearing and pressure plate.

If you cheap out that just what your going to get. Im not saying you have to go stock but dont go cheap. Buy name brand with good reviews. i know theres a few threads on here about ebay clutches someplace i think exedy stage 2 was the favorite for about the 200 mark. It took me 5 hours to go it in the rain on my back at 35 degrees. The damn car wouldnt make it to my place where i had my air tools, a warm garage, and dryness. If you have the tools we can talk you through anything in a matter of seconds. If you dont then find a good shop and buck up. Sorry just my piont. For the MC and the other parts Id expect a few more $$ to be spent just for the after effects. A new alignment aftert he ball jioont is installed. Brakes bing bleed after a new MC installed.

STAY AWAY FROM LES SCHWABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you need tires they are the best in the business. For brakes or other services you might as well take it to a high school or sears. On my civic they didnt tighten the huib nut correctly causing a bad bearing in a few thousand miles after a brake job. You had to remove the hub to turn the rotor or drum back then. When they fixed the bearings once again not installed correctly and the steering wheel would jump from side to side and the brakes were always a 2 pump job. When i checked the hub was so loose it would wobble on the axle pushing the caliper apart making it so id have to pump the brakes to square it up and again to stop. What a hack shop.

Xybris
12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
STAY AWAY FROM LES SCHWABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh... When I bought my first car some 5 or 6 years ago the very first thing I did was take it to Les Schwab to get tires. They didn't put the car on a lift, they just raised it with floor jacks. About halfway through they decided the car needed to move so they were going to "roll" it on the floor jacks. It only went a few feet before falling off the jack and shattering the front brake rotors. Even more amazing is they tried to make me buy new rotors.

LewZur
12-23-2009, 01:36 PM
ugh... When I bought my first car some 5 or 6 years ago the very first thing I did was take it to Les Schwab to get tires. They didn't put the car on a lift, they just raised it with floor jacks. About halfway through they decided the car needed to move so they were going to "roll" it on the floor jacks. It only went a few feet before falling off the jack and shattering the front brake rotors. Even more amazing is they tried to make me buy new rotors.

What a bunch of douchebags. I h8 that happened. What kind of people do they hire at that place.

nswst8
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I have an Honda clutch disc and pressure plate I'll let go for $120 shipped. Don't have a a throw out bearing. And I would highly recommend a new clutch bearing spring.

This is what Honda website has theirs listed for:

22200-PH4-305 Friction disc $67.26 + shipping
22300-PH4-G11 Pressure plate $106.45 + shipping

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I'll keep that in mind. I think first on my repair list is the brakes. The brakes are non-existent at the moment. Then clutch, then the ball joint/half shaft.

ShyBoyCA6
12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll keep that in mind. I think first on my repair list is the brakes. The brakes are non-existent at the moment. Then clutch, then the ball joint/half shaft.

since this is your first time driving standard i look up for a heavy duty clutch so you wont mess up the clutch and once you get the hang of it then any clutch of your choice:bowrofl: my uncle bought me a clutch for the car cause the other one gave out (it was already f'd up) something rhino tuff the old one had its springs all loose haha....dont peel out to much or you might need a new clutch and dont the ride the clutch...hope this helps a lil

and do the brakes and clutch together brakes are the easy thing to do on a car

i got this on my car for now till i get the stage 3 https://www.drivetrain.com/images/stories/product_imgs_large/rhinopac_large.jpg

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Sweet. Yeah, a heavy duty clutch will be a good idea like you said. I don't wanna have to replace it due to my own dumb fault in like a month :)