PDA

View Full Version : Can't title my 3g!!!!

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Well I'm screwed. The person who gave me my 89 Accord never titled the car in the state I live in, so they have to title it before I can. I could fill out the documents for them, but I need their Social Security number and driver's license number. What can I do? I'm stuck with this car sitting in front of my house. Plates expire next week, and I can't get new ones. Once they expire, police will tow it. :( I called them (they moved to another state) but I can't get ahold of them.

:( :( :(

2ndGenGuy
12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Do you have the title to the car from the previous state it was in?

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Yep, I went to the DMV with the title and signed over to me from the previous owner. I live in Illinois. Her ex gave it to her (she signed the back) and then gave me the title (I signed it like a dummy). Only a registered car dealer can do that. I found her dad's phone number in my phone bill online and left a voice mail.

LewZur
12-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Yep, I went to the DMV with the title and signed over to me from the previous owner. I live in Illinois. Her ex gave it to her (she signed the back) and then gave me the title (I signed it like a dummy). Only a registered car dealer can do that. I found her dad's phone number in my phone bill online and left a voice mail.

What color interior does your 3g have?

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
It's like a dark blue, almost black.

I got ahold of my freind! I'm gonna mail them the paper work and they are gonna send it back so I can title it. Gonna cost an extra $90 though. Hopefully they send it back by next week. Plates expire in 7 days.

griffonks
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
My 3G had no title when I got it. I filed for a lost title on an abandoned vehicle, jumped thru a few hoops, had to have the State Troopers inspect it, got a title... ask your Motor Vehicle department.

LewZur
12-23-2009, 01:39 PM
It's like a dark blue, almost black.

I got ahold of my freind! I'm gonna mail them the paper work and they are gonna send it back so I can title it. Gonna cost an extra $90 though. Hopefully they send it back by next week. Plates expire in 7 days.

Oh okay, I was curious because I have a clear title from the parts car of mine. Glad to hear you got in touch with them.

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh okay, I was curious because I have a clear title from the parts car of mine. Glad to hear you got in touch with them.

Were you gonna suggest me buying your parts car, then titling it and swapping VINs? :cool:

LewZur
12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Were you gonna suggest me buying your parts car, then titling it and swapping VINs? :cool:

:dunno:

LewZur
12-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I'd never suggest breaking the law...

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd never suggest breaking the law...

lol me either. That's what someone else in my office suggested, so I thought that's what you were getting at.

I would have done something like Griffonks suggested. Just told them this person left it on my property with the title, and all attempts to reach them had failed (which woulda been truth).

LewZur
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
lol me either. That's what someone else in my office suggested, so I thought that's what you were getting at.

I would have done something like Griffonks suggested. Just told them this person left it on my property with the title, and all attempts to reach them had failed (which woulda been truth).

You wouldn't have done that in my state unless you wanted to pay about $1000.00 to do it, maybe more all depends on the vehicle.

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Thankfully it's all gonna work out.

LewZur
12-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Thankfully it's all gonna work out.

Yeah that's a good thing, believe me, I've had my share of title difficulties.

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Hopefully the Mustang sells so I can start my resto on the 3g. It'll be nice to have another Honda.

LewZur
12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Hopefully the Mustang sells so I can start my resto on the 3g. It'll be nice to have another Honda.

I hope so too. I do have a bunch of carbed parts. I converted my DX and unless I find a carbed hatch or coupe (which I doubt will happen in the near future) I won't need them.

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Maybe in a few years I could save up for a JDM B20 swap or a Integra B18A swap and a fresh coat of paint. I saw some of the 3g's on here and they look hot. 3gmodifier's is sick and gives me a stiffy.

LewZur
12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe in a few years I could save up for a JDM B20 swap or a Integra B18A swap and a fresh coat of paint. I saw some of the 3g's on here and they look hot. 3gmodifier's is sick and gives me a stiffy.

:rofl: yeah, there are a lot of nice 3gs on here.

Edison Carasio
12-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if it went out. Don't see it in my outbox. sorry if you end up with it twice. Second one has my email address.

Edison Carasio
01-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok I went to the DMV Thursday with the title and registration paper work from the previous owner and the power of attorney paper. Now the Illinois DMV is telling me that I can't title it because the prev owner has a MO driver's license and a AL address and the power of attorney is only for Illinois residents. BS. I'm letting the car get towed, there seems to be nothing I can do. I called the prev owner and left a message and haven't heard back. Cars gonna just get towed. According to Illinios Secretary of State office the prev owner is still the legal owner.

Bogus.

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 04:21 PM
man that sucks well i hope you find a 3g around your area man dont give up one will show up

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
man that sucks... at least part it out!1

cubert
01-02-2010, 05:44 PM
You could always move to NH...no title needed for a car over 15 years old :lol:

Sucks to hear though..

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
You could always move to NH...no title needed for a car over 15 years old :lol:

Sucks to hear though..

for real?! dammit i hate California .... still trying to figure out how to titel my civic if i ever get it here lol.. there's also a couple abonded cars out here i wouldn't mind but no way of getting title without spending 10 times what the car is worth

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Can't you get a temporary registration while you figure something out (they last for about 6 months out here)?

I'm sure you have, but if you go down to DMV and explain the situation, they might be able to suggest a work-around.

If all else fails, just buy it back at the auction after they tow it away and all your title headaches will disappear.

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
edison do what CAH said bro make money off it to buy another 3gee man you might never know when other 3gee members with carb may want to buy maybe even the trans

Edison Carasio
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Can't you get a temporary registration while you figure something out (they last for about 6 months out here)?

I'm sure you have, but if you go down to DMV and explain the situation, they might be able to suggest a work-around.

If all else fails, just buy it back at the auction after they tow it away and all your title headaches will disappear.

That was one plan actually. Just gotta figure out what auction it will end up at.

Edison Carasio
01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I got it titled! Whoooooooooo!

A18A
01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
good stuff :thumbup: what you do?

Civic Accord Honda
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
ftw!!

Edison Carasio
01-15-2010, 06:18 AM
I went to a place in Cahokia, Illinois that specializes in motor vehicle law. They were like "what the DMV told you is bogus. All we have to do is out her name on the back and complete a letter of affirmation stating she never took possesion of the vehicle." and that removed the chick from the equation altogether. Problem solved. Cost $194 for plates and new title, $25 for state tax and $35 fee to the company that filed it all for me. It pretty much maxed my Visa out all the way BUT now the car won't get towed. I had called the person who "legally" owned it still to give it back before it was towed, but they said it was my problem and if they got a tow bill they would probably sue me. The guy is a punk b!tch who lives in his parents basement and doesn't even have a license.

Now time to sell the Mustang and start the rebuild on the Accord.