PDA

View Full Version : 89 Lx Idles at 3 grand in Park & Nuetral but 1000 in drive?

DanilosSE-I
12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
car had a blown head gasket and come to find out the head was cracked in two places!! so to make a long story short i redid the top end everything works great except for that the car idles at 3000 rpms in park and in neutral but 1000 when its in reverse or drive!! i really need help on this Please

A20A1
12-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Check for vacuum leaks.

Probably your idle controller on the left side of the carb is pushing opening your throttle because it's not getting vacuum or it's improperly adjusted.

If you have no vacuum leaks then adjust the idle once the car is fully warmed up.

In many cases the idle will be higher then it's supposed to be because quite a few owners simply increase the idle to MASK engine problems. Raising idle to solve engine problems is a bad practice, and once the problem is fixed they usually end up with high idle. So consider that if the idle was adjusted when the car had a cracked head and was probably running poorly, then that same adjustment will not work for your car after you fixed the problem.

Slight increase in idle could also be from the distributor being turned which would effect ignition timing.

EDIT: I just noticed you had a 2G accord... the idle screws may be different or in different locations.