PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise

1lowcoupe
12-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Well i fixed the water pump and replaced the timing belt and now it makes a slight grinding noise when at idle. however whenever you depress the clutch it goes away. what could it be anyone ever have this happen?? its wierd. it shifts fine it drives fine. I have no clue. im thinking maybe drain the tranny and put new oil in it maybe its just low or something i dunno.
you cant really hear it when your driving however i know it does it because going slow in 1st gear you can roll down the window and hear it slightly over the road and wind noise.
let me know what you guys think. oh and the cluth pedal feels nice throughout the range of motion.

Rendon LX-i
12-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Tranny main bearing/Throw out bearing...one of them two

1lowcoupe
12-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Tranny main bearing/Throw out bearing...one of them two

hmm now im drawing a blank. those you have to pull the tranny/clutch right?

Lil Mike
12-25-2009, 07:00 AM
sounds like a input shaft bearing on the transmission, yes you would have to pull the tranny and disassemble it to reach the bearing. the noise should be even louder when you down shift.

1lowcoupe
12-25-2009, 07:06 AM
sounds like a input shaft bearing on the transmission, yes you would have to pull the tranny and disassemble it to reach the bearing. the noise should be even louder when you down shift.

no not really its just constant. i listened to it to try and get the right description but no as soon as you let the cluth out its just a constant noise it doesnt affect it when you rev the motor or are downshifting. it stays the same tone throughout which is why its harder to hear at driving speeds. Like i said its blowing my mind because if its something else like you said shouldnt it get louder while your down shift or even just accelerating through the gear

MessyHonda
12-25-2009, 11:17 AM
i had the same thing on my coupe too....so i went ahead and changed out the clutch while i was at it. now i dont have it...and my old throw out barring look tired

1lowcoupe
12-25-2009, 08:59 PM
i had the same thing on my coupe too....so i went ahead and changed out the clutch while i was at it. now i dont have it...and my old throw out barring look tired

ok so throwout bearing? alright i guess its time to start saving again lol

russiankid
12-25-2009, 09:17 PM
The bearing itself is fairly cheap, it is the labor of doing it that sucks. Don't worry thought, after you do this job, it will take you two hours to drop the transmission. Wonder how I know? hehe.

MessyHonda
12-25-2009, 11:30 PM
yeah for me it was like a 40 buck part