PDA

View Full Version : Ummm...WTF happened?

Nio
12-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Okay So I took her out for a run tonight, Nothing very fast. *maxed out at 70*

But after driving for about 10 minutes. she has started to be slugish, Now when I push on the gas she stutters and doesn't accelerate.

I pulled over to check the engine, No smoke or anything I could see, And she sounded fine in idle, But I pushed the throttle, and I heard a loud POP come from the intake manifold?

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Please tell me nothing bad.

Nio
12-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I did some searching, I guess it could be my timing.

Or maybe its that 8 year old gas that was sitting in the tank. maybe I need to drain that crap? cause shes now below half a tank, which means I'm running on the stuff That had been sitting for ever.

What do you guys think.

russiankid
12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Well if the gas is that old then yes it is most likely the issue. Drain it and fill it with some fresh stuff.

Nio
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
okay, I think I'll drain it and put new in and see where that takes me.

BTW just Syphen it out?

*total noob, On alot of things. :P I have only drained gas from a tank once, and that was on my friends 89 camero, But we pulled the entire tank out to put in a new fuel pump.*

itzdave
12-25-2009, 10:21 PM
you can either syphon it out, or just unhook a fuel line, put it into a bucket or somethin and turn the key on, but that could take a while...
i also recommend changing the fuel filters if its been setting that long and now its got that poopy gas running thru it.
:cheers:

dacantu
12-25-2009, 11:04 PM
you should probably use a fuel treatment when you go to put new gas in there too.

Nio
12-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Yea I plan to put some fuel cleaner in her, I was thinking since I'm going to do a new fuel pump in 2 weeks That I'll get a fuel filter with that.

I think I'll do the drain tomorrow once I get off work. Should give me around 1 or 2 of light. should be long enough.

Thanks for the help guys.

itzdave
12-25-2009, 11:18 PM
i dunno for sure since im carbed, but ya might have more than one fuel filter btw...

Rendon LX-i
12-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Theres also a drain plug on the left hand side of the tank.Under the car that...ALOT easyer.....drain it good.

AccordB20A
12-26-2009, 12:02 AM
8 year old gas?

the car i used for my efi swap has 3/4 a tank sitting in it for a few years parked in a paddock, the inside of the fuel tank was rusty and whenever my car went under 1/3 of a tank my car would have a cough and splutter so maybe its fucked your fuel pump or something, I just swapped on a new pump and tank from a nother car

gtmst3
12-26-2009, 05:08 AM
there is a bolt on your gas tank that you can takeout and that will drain the gas its like a 17mm i think. the timing could also do that but i would start with replacing your gas and see if that makes a difference

2oodoor
12-26-2009, 05:13 AM
if it is idling ok and revs a little it isnt the timing belt.
Popping back thru the intake most of the time indicates fuel starvation. I would change out fuel filters, add some Stabil and some Seafoam or BG44K and run it before draining out fuel. Depends on how bad it got really.

Nio
12-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Okay So I can just use the plug to drain, That sounds much easier. I can take care of that.

Now For a replacement would a OEM fuel pump be fine for now, Or would you guys recommend me spend the extra money now and get a aftermarket one.

MessyHonda
12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
oem is fine...because i dont think you will have lots of mods....even better is to go to the junkyard and take one out...get it from a crashed car so you know the car got junked because it was on a wreck not mechanical

Nio
12-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Okay Guys, I'll be draining the gas tonight, or tomorrow on my day off. Now, What would be the best cleaner to throw in there?

BTW she has gotten significantly worse.....She now stalls out, and sometimes the engine dies when I'm goes...So I have a really good feeling that the fuel is the problem.

accordion89
12-27-2009, 01:55 PM
i dunno for sure since im carbed, but ya might have more than one fuel filter btw...

Unlike the fuel injected guys, we have the privlage of having two filters, squeeky cleen pimpin :)

dacantu
12-27-2009, 02:51 PM
yeah one fuel filter is up in the engine bay by attached to the firewall and the other i believe is by the gas tank?

Nio
12-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Okay guys, I really need some help here.

I drained almost all of the gas, I have my fuel pump/filter out. What else is attached to the Tank, It looks bad inside, So I'm going to clean it since I have tomorrow off, This way I can see how bad it really is.
*just so you guys know, there are some brown and black chunks, and most of it looked Rust orange when I got it out. Pics on build page later(

Get back with me fast, So I can start this tonight.

BTW I'll be posting some pictures once I get a little further in on my build page.

ecogabriel
12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
If you see bad crap inside the tank (rust orange stuff) it is probably quite corroded.
You may consider getting another tank from an EFI car from the junkyard if yours looks so bad inside. At least you can see them inside before taking them out.

I would suspect your fuel filter got clogged with rusty stuff; but unless your tank gets well cleaned a new filter would only be a temporary remedy.

griffonks
12-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Radiator Prince used to clean tanks here, I think most radiator companies will. When I got my 89LX it had sat for 8 or 9 years. I drained the tank, disconnected the fuel pump then dropped the tank. The tank was plastic so I rinsed it with fresh fuel and drained it again. After a few thousand miles the carburetor cleaned itself, injectors may be a different story. You can check the fuel filters repeatedly and that should let you know how much varnish is in the tank. Cut it open after a run.....

Nio
12-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Yea, I just need to take the tank out and try and clean it.

If not, Maybe I'll go to the junk yard or order a complete new one. :P

But I still need to know what else I have to get out.
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/SSPX0028.jpg

smufguy
01-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Okay lets make this less painful and confusing.

This is what you have in combination of your problems, disintegrated old gas, clogged fuel pump filter, clogged fuel filter and clogged injector filter (or whatever you want to call it).

1) drain the gas tank and remove it from the vehicle. take it to a shop to have it thoroughly cleaned on the inside and see if they can do a corrosion resistive coating on the inside.

2) get a new fuel pump filter and install it on the fuel pump.

3) replace your fuel filter (in the engine bay)

4) Take off your fuel rail, take out your fuel injectors carefully and with a carburetor cleaner, clean out the fine filter that resides on the top of the fuel injectors. Purchase an injector seal kit, replace all seals on the 4 injectors and install them properly.

5) Install everything back in, leave the feed line of your fuel hose to your fuel filter off, turn the ignition to 'position II' and push the old gas in your fuel lines out (onto a tray or a gas container). and then install the hose.

Once you put everything back in, you should be fine on the fuel side.

Nio
01-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Okay cool thanks. :D

But I'm not going to get the tank cleaned I'm just going to get a new one, along with a new fuel pump, filter, But I will do 4-5. Since those probably need done anyways.

Thanks for the help. :D I'm very grateful