PDA

View Full Version : adding auto transmission fluid?

jg09
12-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I feel really dumb asking this question, but here goes:

I need to add some more tranny fluid into my auto trans in the 3g and i cannot figure out how to do it. Some people are saying to fill it through the dipstick hole. The problem with that is that I can't find a dipstick for the tranny fluid. Other people say there's a fill hole somewhere. Well guess what? Can't find that either! I've had to leave my car in my gf's driveway for 2 days because of this (it has its positives... i do get to drive her stepdad's camaro in the mean time. lol). Can someone tell me how to get more fluid into the transmission, and possibly post pics, too? I'm either blind, dumb, or both, cuz I cannot figure this out.

ShyBoyCA6
12-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Look at the manuel it should say it there and has pics

accordion89
12-27-2009, 01:45 PM
the dipstick for the trans is a little screw out cap, in between your battery and exaust manifold, its kinda hard to see and does not look like your oil dipstick

I believe you add fluid with a funnel to the cap opening

accordion89
12-27-2009, 01:48 PM
your not dumb, I went to a few different places when i was going to get my fluid changed, I was told by one "mechanic" that there is a transmission pan on my car to get to the transmission filter, to this day I do not recall ever seeing a pan, maybe i'm blind

dacantu
12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
the dipstick for the trans is a little screw out cap, DEEP DOWN in between your battery and exaust manifold, ON THE TRANS its kinda hard to see and does not look like your oil dipstick

I believe you add fluid with a funnel to the cap opening

Maybe that will help a little bit lol

The screw off filler cap says honda atf

jasonrebellion
12-27-2009, 03:07 PM
I feel really dumb asking this question, but here goes:

I need to add some more tranny fluid into my auto trans in the 3g and i cannot figure out how to do it. Some people are saying to fill it through the dipstick hole. The problem with that is that I can't find a dipstick for the tranny fluid. Other people say there's a fill hole somewhere. Well guess what? Can't find that either! I've had to leave my car in my gf's driveway for 2 days because of this (it has its positives... i do get to drive her stepdad's camaro in the mean time. lol). Can someone tell me how to get more fluid into the transmission, and possibly post pics, too? I'm either blind, dumb, or both, cuz I cannot figure this out.

If you'll look at the top of the page there is a search button, there are several topics on this cause that's how I found out.....

griffonks
12-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Mine was leaking from a bolt at the bottom, I torqued it and all is well for the last 65K miles...

jg09
12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
thanks guys, i found it and added a quart of ATF and WOW!!!!!!! it made a huge difference. it shifts pretty damn well again.

dacantu
12-27-2009, 10:17 PM
good to hear. its too bad youre giving her up to the gf's parents though. explorer ftl

A20A1
12-28-2009, 12:08 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885

jg09
12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
good to hear. its too bad youre giving her up to the gf's parents though. explorer ftl

I'm a truck guy at heart. And it's not like I'll never see the car again. Once I get it 100% reliable, that'll probably be the car we use on road trips and long distance drives. There's something about the 3g that I really like, and I'm not gonna give it up to somebody who's not gonna appreciate it, or never let me see/drive it again