PDA

View Full Version : EGR delete

import racer
12-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Has Any One Figured Out How To Get Rid Of Engine Light When Removing Egr Short Of Going OBD-1.

stat1K
12-29-2009, 07:57 AM
yeah first step is don't type in weird colors so i can actually read it, and the second step is you can remove the bulb from the light...

but in seriousness your ecu is looking for it, so short of chipping it out of the ecu or finding a ghetto fix i'd say obd1 is your best bet?

mushroom_toy
12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I never got a cel when I removed mine.

stat1K
12-29-2009, 10:43 AM
^ difference between an 86 and 89 maybe?

Rendon LX-i
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I think thats what it is...i get my CEL when im at 50 percent of so of Throttle....BUT obd1 well take that away

import racer
12-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry about that,what about a ecu from a20a4 car,will that work and how hard is it to get one.

Tdurr
12-30-2009, 02:41 AM
I never got a cel when I removed mine.
x2

^ difference between an 86 and 89 maybe?

nope. i got a 88 and no light with mine. Just disconnect the egr(vac and clip) and if ur car runs good shouldnt have a problem. :slap:

Rendon LX-i
12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
88/89 ftw...

Joay
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
My car (88) runs fine with the EGR unplugged but I still get the CEL.

DBMaster
12-30-2009, 11:31 AM
So, why is it again that you want to remove the EGR? Is it simply because it's an emission control device? It does not hurt horsepower and can actually reduce engine knocks. I guess we'll leave all that "optional" emission control stuff for people who can afford new cars, right?

Joay
12-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I removed it because it's clutter. There's no great benefit to taking it out and it's kind of a pain in the ass, but it looks better and I actually care about that.

Hauntd ca3
12-31-2009, 12:53 AM
i just made it ineffective by putting a plate at the egr valve where the pipe bolts to it.
the ecu still see's that its there and no cel

Joay
12-31-2009, 08:26 AM
So yours still has a vacuum line and is plugged in?

Hauntd ca3
01-02-2010, 12:37 AM
well i have headers which have no egr output, so other than the egr tube from the manifold to the egr valve its still all there and plugged in, just have a plate blanking of the egr tube went into the egr valve

89dxthehonda
01-04-2010, 07:06 AM
has anyone had theres disabled for long?

Joay
01-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Six months, no complaint besides the CEL. I've learned to live with it.

Demon1024
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
except you wont know of any new problems.....

-DWM-
01-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Run it as a dummy and hide it under the dash, hide the vac lines.

Joay
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
except you wont know of any new problems.....
Well I could check the codes periodically if I was concerned, but it's a Honda and it runs fine.

MessyHonda
01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Six months, no complaint besides the CEL. I've learned to live with it.

i hate mine...my car runs like crap..sometimes i just want to throw in my stock cam because my stage 2 wont idle at all

Tdurr
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
has anyone had theres disabled for long?

had mine blocked since july and never had a cel or anything..

b20a86lude
01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
i got delete kits for sale i know how to get rid of the code

import racer
01-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah how! Share.

mushroom_toy
01-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Lol. For getting rid of cel - unplug, remove, block off and leave it alone.

Rendon LX-i
01-20-2010, 11:17 PM
kits for sale LOL.....take out hte light bulb LOL

smufguy
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Removal of the EGR system does not increase your HP, you know it, but you want to remove it anyway cause it un-clutters the engine bay and thats just aesthetics.

Now, remind me, why is this posted under performance?

I would say just wait till you convert to OBD-1 like you mentioned and then worry about removing the EGR.

MessyHonda
01-23-2010, 01:57 AM
Removal of the EGR system does not increase your HP, you know it, but you want to remove it anyway cause it un-clutters the engine bay and thats just aesthetics.

Now, remind me, why is this posted under performance?

I would say just wait till you convert to OBD-1 like you mentioned and then worry about removing the EGR.

even when i had obd1 i had my egr valve...not untill i got my b16 mani that i closed it off

Civic Accord Honda
01-23-2010, 07:28 AM
why would anyone on here want to run with the cel on? its making your car run in limp mode and extremely rich..., yeah it looks better without it but is shitty mpg, engine full of carbon, clogged cat ,and less hp really worth making the engine look better?

Joay
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I dunno, I've tracked my car's fuel consumption since the day I got it and removing the EGR made literally no difference. Takes no longer to warm up, gets the same 30-33 mpg that it did with the EGR working. I agree it's retarded to yank it out and let the car think it's "broken," but it doesn't appear to be affecting anything.

DBMaster
01-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I dunno, I've tracked my car's fuel consumption since the day I got it and removing the EGR made literally no difference. Takes no longer to warm up, gets the same 30-33 mpg that it did with the EGR working. I agree it's retarded to yank it out and let the car think it's "broken," but it doesn't appear to be affecting anything.

In fact, removing the EGR valve may end up causing a requirement to run higher octane fuel. On cars like ours without a knock sensor the EGR actually reduces knocking. I don't want to be obnoxious, but I don't so much care for removal of emission controls. We're not driving race cars. I have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test every year so I don't have a choice other than keeping everything functional and it hasn't been that hard to do. I won't give you any tree-hugger lectures because I am not one, but I like the concept of keeping it all working. Honda is not the type of manufacturer to add devices to the engine bay without good reason.

Joay
01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
That all makes sense, but it does still work. And the reason Honda put an EGR on in the first place isn't because it's critical to the proper functioning of the engine, it's there to placate consumer concerns at the time (EGR wasn't required in the States until the mid-nineties if I'm not mistaken). Furthermore, many JDM motors of the same time period don't have EGR valves.

I get where you're coming from. My dad makes the same argument for everything I do to my car, citing the "If it ain't broke" addage, but he (and you) and I have differing definitions of "broke."

DBMaster
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
That is completely fair. I like it. My car is still sometimes like a big toy to me so I do understand messing with it. I seem to recall cars of much older vintage having EGR valves. I started learning auto mechanics by experience in 1979 so, yeah, I'm a bit older than a lot of this forum. I still remember those stupid ass belt driven air injection pumps they put on cars in the late 70's and early 80's. My Accord is actually just as fast as my 72 Pontiac Catalina with its 6.6 liter engine. Even some of the cheapest cars are faster than ours these days. I am just a big fan of efficient power without excess. Having a truly fast car would just be frustrating to me as I sit in Dallas area traffic and Lewisville traffic lights.

If your dad and I sound similar it could be because he's close to the same age as me - I'll bet. :) I'm too old to be Gen X and too young to be a baby boomer. I wonder what that makes me.

resendez
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
i do not have my egr plugged in dont plan on plugging it in either is there a problem with doing this or wat. im not sure wat it does but my car dont idle funny no more 1500-2000 rpm up and down doesnt stop untill i stopped using it

cygnus x-1
01-27-2010, 11:08 AM
That is completely fair. I like it. My car is still sometimes like a big toy to me so I do understand messing with it. I seem to recall cars of much older vintage having EGR valves. I started learning auto mechanics by experience in 1979 so, yeah, I'm a bit older than a lot of this forum. I still remember those stupid ass belt driven air injection pumps they put on cars in the late 70's and early 80's. My Accord is actually just as fast as my 72 Pontiac Catalina with its 6.6 liter engine. Even some of the cheapest cars are faster than ours these days. I am just a big fan of efficient power without excess. Having a truly fast car would just be frustrating to me as I sit in Dallas area traffic and Lewisville traffic lights.

EGR valves go back to the '70s. First car was a '78 Malibu with the Chevy 305. It was one of the last with an all mechanical fuel system and emission controls. No smog pump but it did have an EGR valve and charcoal can. It looked like shit (literally, it was a medium brown color) but always ran and had a fair amount of pick up. Couldn't turn corners to save it's life but most domestics couldn't back then. That's the one thing you will find with these little Hondas. They aren't fast, but they are very nimble and fun to drive.

C|

Fixedit
05-15-2015, 08:38 AM
My '86 constantly has the EGR code flashing under the seat, and I average about 28-29 MPG. My head gasket is bad and I may have a cracked head, so I'm swapping my head for an '89 A20A3 head and doing my head gasket at the same time. While I'm in there, messing with the EGR will be easy, and I've been debating on deleting it or not.

When I first got the code I tested what I could. A lab scope test showed the sensor knew what position the valve was in, but I think it had a leak and pressure would drop in a couple seconds. This led me to believe the EGR solenoid is bad, so I just left it disconnected. The parts car I got the head from has a known good EGR solenoid but it looks different, I was thinking of using it to just see what would happen. From the start I only wanted to get rid of the entire system, but reading this it sounds like some of you would think it'd be worth the time to see if that could fix my issue. What do our cars lose from having no EGR?

Oldblueaccord
05-15-2015, 10:52 AM
My '86 constantly has the EGR code flashing under the seat, and I average about 28-29 MPG. My head gasket is bad and I may have a cracked head, so I'm swapping my head for an '89 A20A3 head and doing my head gasket at the same time. While I'm in there, messing with the EGR will be easy, and I've been debating on deleting it or not.

When I first got the code I tested what I could. A lab scope test showed the sensor knew what position the valve was in, but I think it had a leak and pressure would drop in a couple seconds. This led me to believe the EGR solenoid is bad, so I just left it disconnected. The parts car I got the head from has a known good EGR solenoid but it looks different, I was thinking of using it to just see what would happen. From the start I only wanted to get rid of the entire system, but reading this it sounds like some of you would think it'd be worth the time to see if that could fix my issue. What do our cars lose from having no EGR?

EGR helps with ping on some cars but on ours it does little. The heads pretty efficient. Might need it to pass emissions with Nox. it cools the combustion charge. Im sure you can read up on it thru google.

I havn't run it in years and I get the 28-30 mpg your talking about. I get about 23 mpg with E-85.

Fixedit
05-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Okay, I feel like from what I've gathered I'll be fine without it. I know down the road I'll delete it, whether or not I do it with the head swap is a matter of how much time I have. Thank you for the info!

Fixedit
05-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Ended up doing it the other night with my head swap. Got rid of my EGR code (for now, watch as I go check today and have it giving me 12 flashes again now that I've said something). Feel pretty good about it