PDA

View Full Version : how to: remove and install headlight motor

charliekuney
12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm mainly looking for detailed pictures for removing and installing the right side. I'm sick of having one light stuck up all the time. Can anyone help? I tried searching, but any link after the first page said "Oops! This link appears to be broken."

mykwikcoupe
12-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I thought we talked about this already. Theres 3 10mm bolts that hold the motor to the fender and the bolt/screw head that hold the headlight arm to the motor. Undo them and itll pop right out. Its the side with the battery so working room isnt an issue.

charliekuney
12-29-2009, 08:56 PM
We talked about removing them, but not actually how to do it. Does anything need to be unplugged? Should I take the bucket or light light out?

car6289
12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Retractor Motor Replacement (verbatim from 1989 Service Manual) (my two cents in brackets)

1. Remove the No. 6 (15A) and No. 7 (15A) fuses in the relay box. (Battery removal may grant you better access to right side thus fuses can be left in place)
2. Pry the retractor linkage off the motor arm. (ball and socket, retractor arm is socket;motor arm is ball)
3. Disconnect the 6-P connector.
4. Remove the 3 mount bolts and the retractor motor.

5. Install in the reverse order of removal, and:
- Make sure there is no interference between the wire harness and linkage.
- Coat the joints with grease and make sure the linkage moves smoothly.
- Adjust the retractor motor fore and aft until the headlight doors (bucket)
fit flush with the front fender when the headlights are closed.
(mount holes in motor bracket are slotted for aforementioned bucket adjustment)

In the time it took me to type this you could have replaced your retractor motor. Somewhere on the site is pdf version of service manual. My hard copy manual shows the left side and the detail is adequate but not that spectacular.

charliekuney
12-30-2009, 09:39 AM
My computer has a problem with Adobe, so I haven't been able to open PDF files for months. No matter how many times I update, it still tells me to.

I'll go get the motor out now, but I'll have to pick up a new one later.

Also: where can I pick up new o-rings?

Bluntman
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
My computer has a problem with Adobe, so I haven't been able to open PDF files for months. No matter how many times I update, it still tells me to.

Harbor freight has standard and metric o ring assortments, they are nitrile rubber, which 50% of all o-rings are, and are good to have around. Or any NAPA you can match them up.I keep both standard and metric sizes.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91506

charliekuney
12-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Which size does our car have?

car6289
12-30-2009, 11:50 AM

Here is 89 service manual picture

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3240/motorm.jpg

Bluntman
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Which size does our car have?

Metrics.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91512

charliekuney
12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Here is 89 service manual picture

I feel stupid now. I just found my giant book with that exact picture in it.

Metrics.

10mm? 100mm? 1,000mm?

Bluntman
12-31-2009, 05:47 AM
10mm? 100mm? 1,000mm?

There are various sizes of O-rings on vehicles. That is why it is nice to have an assortment handy. That way you can match them up with whatever you are working on.

Bluntman
12-31-2009, 05:59 AM
I just did my distributor o-ring, and it was flat sided and had turned to hard plastic, it basically broke into pieces when I removed it with a o-ring pick. I was at Honda and they had it in stock, so I just got theres ( even though it is nitrile rubber just like the others). I got the oil filter base gasket also in stock ( not expensive at all). And painted the distributor while it was out.

charliekuney
12-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm still working on getting the motor out. Pathetic, I know.

Bluntman
12-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm still working on getting the motor out. Pathetic, I know.

No not pathetic. Everyone has to learn somewhere. You learn by asking, watching, and making mistakes. And also, patience is a virtue.:cheers:

car6289
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM

With practice pathetic can become proficient. Keep a supply of band-aids around while you practice.

charliekuney
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I have gained patience, but I can't learn by watching. I have to do it to fully understand. Anyways, it's cold and raining, and the last time I tried helping in these conditions, I couldn't do anything. I'll just have to wait or try when my dad is helping me put my snow tires on... :(

Civic Accord Honda
01-01-2010, 04:44 PM
word when i joined here i was afraid to change my spark plugs .... and a year later i was completely tearing down 2 3gees and building one of them .... and now i have the confidence to do anything to a automobile :)