PDA

View Full Version : 89 LX won't start

Edison Carasio
12-31-2009, 06:29 AM
I was driving my 3G around last night since it's been sitting since I got it (just around the block and a few streets over) and when I was coming out of a stop sign, thanks to a bad clutch, it wouldn't shift into gear and being the newb to 5 speeds that I am (just proficient enough with it to get from point A to B) I let it sputter and die. Well, no biggie. But when I went to start it up it wouldn't start. Key just turned over and after a few times I heard the good ole dead battery clicks. I started pushing it (thankfully I was 3 houses from my grandma's) as the lights got dimmer and finally petered out when I was in front of the house.

When I was in front of her house my uncle and I jumped it. Started up on the first try after letting the battery charge for a second. When I got to my house (another 2 blocks away) it wouldn't start up again (same thing). I'm hoping it's just the battery being bad. The alternator light didn't come on while I was driving it. What do you guys think? If I have the chance I'll take the battery out and go to Autozone or whatever to have it tested.

gtmst3
12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
wen that was happening to me it was my battery.

Edison Carasio
12-31-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not the alternator. At least I hope not. I haven't spent much time under the hood of my 3G but everything looks like a pain to get to. The battery terminals looked clean and not corroded or anything (from what I could tell, was dark and raining :( ).

smufguy
01-01-2010, 09:05 AM
If you have an electronic volt meter, take a reading of the battery's amps and also the voltage. Better yet, take it to Autozone or Sears and get a free load test performed. If it is dead, give it to them and buy a new battery.