PDA

View Full Version : 4th and 5th gear has no power.

Nio
12-31-2009, 01:31 PM
okay..... now shes running kind of smooth. however. she doesnt have any power in 4th or 5th. she doesnt die but she sits at 3-4000 and just slowly goes down. im completly stumped on this.

Nio
12-31-2009, 01:33 PM
text limit.....

i confused cause i got her to 90 before and she was hellofast but now she barly hits 70.

smufguy
01-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Running 'kinda smooth', translates to not running properly. Your gear selection has nothing to do with why your engine behaves in such a way, but you clearly see the struggle because with higher gear, you put a lot more load on your vehicle to reach a certain speed.

Can you elaborate on this 'kinda smooth' issue?

Nio
01-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Okay, when I say smooth, she didn't struggle at all under those loads *meaning 1st-3rd*, But when I get to 4th and 5th, she can't pull any RPMs, in 4th she can get up to 3500 RPMs and then sits there, and when I go into 5th, She slowly drops in RPMs.

As of today though, she is now having issues with 3rd gear load as well, She struggles up to 4500 and then when I go up a hill* like a highway overpass* she slowly drops a bit.

*BTW she now sounds like a lawnmower on the exhaust system. One of my buddies thinks its a cylinder issue.*

LX-i
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
no power in 4th or 5th?

OH!!! heres your problem....

your driving an accord.

Civic Accord Honda
01-01-2010, 02:23 PM
no power in 4th or 5th?

OH!!! heres your problem....

your driving an accord.

i lold...

and bro if it sounds like a lawn mower and has no power in 4th/5th your not running on all 4 cylinders... do you have a compression tester by any chance?

also how old is the cap / rotor / plugs / wires? after checking that stuff i would check the fuel injectors

Nio
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
No, I need to replace my plugs and wires, And I don't have a compression tester but I believe a friend of mine does. So I'll check with them.

Civic Accord Honda
01-01-2010, 05:13 PM
k well use your friends or rent one from vatozone and post the numbers... i think its supposed to be above 130 on each cylinder and no more then a 10% difference between each cylinder
if that's good then replace the cap and rotor and your plugs and wires... if that doesn't fix the problem i would lean on checking the fuel injectors

and and one more thing...

are your ground wires in good condition ?

Nio
01-01-2010, 10:08 PM
k well use your friends or rent one from vatozone and post the numbers... i think its supposed to be above 130 on each cylinder and no more then a 10% difference between each cylinder
if that's good then replace the cap and rotor and your plugs and wires... if that doesn't fix the problem i would lean on checking the fuel injectors

and and one more thing...

are your ground wires in good condition ?

I know my ground wire on the Valve cover is probably screwed, But I don't know about the others. nor where they would be at.

joebeets
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't rule out a bad fuel pump.

Nio
01-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't rule out a bad fuel pump.

:P lol, I already know my fuel pump is almost gone, I have to replace that for sure, then the tank, and a couple of other things along the way.

smufguy
01-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Easy there tiger.

Normally rough running motors can also be thought as being off in their timing.......... which was the case with my old 3gee. Changed the fuel filter, cleaned the strainer on the fuel pump and it ran perfect. Change your fuel system first, and then attack your ignition.

Key here is to eliminate the issues by completing one system at a time.

NOTE" Also, purchase a 2feet battery cable with two eyelets and use that as your engine ground in the engine bay. Throw that dinky valve cover ground crap.

Nio
01-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Easy there tiger.

Normally rough running motors can also be thought as being off in their timing.......... which was the case with my old 3gee. Changed the fuel filter, cleaned the strainer on the fuel pump and it ran perfect. Change your fuel system first, and then attack your ignition.

Key here is to eliminate the issues by completing one system at a time.

NOTE" Also, purchase a 2feet battery cable with two eyelets and use that as your engine ground in the engine bay. Throw that dinky valve cover ground crap.

Well she is running right now. So I don't have to work on much, I had planned for my next check to go to the tank and new fuel pump/filter.

and I'll see where she goes from there.

Nio
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Okay, While I was working on the alternator problem I found out one of my spark plugs wasn't all the way in, Unplugged it and plugged it back in herd the click, and I noticed power was back in 4th and 5th.

But just to be save I'm still going to go threw with the fuel pump and new tank, Along with a new distributer and wires to top it off. :P