PDA

View Full Version : What is the pull handle under steering wheel for?

bgpblaze
01-01-2010, 06:56 AM
I am new to these cars and I bought a pristine 89 accord that looks great but is having some issues that would be expected from a 20plus years old vehicle. It has a pull handle just under the left side of the steering wheel that pulls out then pulls its self right back in. From what I can tell it does absolutely nothing! But like I said I am new to these cars. This seems to be a great little car that I am really going to enjoy fixing up and driving around.

problem#2

The car has a miss. it Idles at around 900 rpm and shakes fairly bad. I have searched all over the board and have not ran across what this car is doing. It is pretty slugish driving around (btw it is an autmatic lx 4door, 2.0 carb) So I have replaced the plugs,cap,rotor,wires. It still has a miss I used my pyrometer and cylinder# 4 is the culprit. I pulled the old plugs and this was the only plug with oil on it, I put in new ones drove it about 100 miles and pulled the plugs and #4 had oil on it but not as bad. Now it runs fairly well at higher rpm like at 55-60 mph in 3rd gear at 3k rpm it runs smooth. but when you come to a stop it shakes and misses, sluggish off the line until it gets back to 45-50. Also it seems to run better right as it is getting warm as apposed to fully warm in operating temp and driving for 15-20 min. I dont want to start throwing parts at it and wasting money. I also redone the complete exhaust because it was rotted out and full of rust holes, I thought this may have been some of the issue because no backpressure can cause issues too. I eliminated the resonator and cat and put on factory style muffler and 2 inch pipe It seems way louder than it should be, even the exhaust guy said it was unusually loud for a factory mufler. He said if a car has a dead cylinder it will tend to make the exhaust louder than normal, which seemed wierd but he was old and was the owner and been doing exhaust work for longer than I have been alive.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? Coil going bad? carbon build up because it has has this miss for who knows how long? Should I seafoam into the vaccum line to clear the heads? I seafoamed my 2005 audi a4 and after it stopped smoking like bill hicks on a bad day, the car ran sooo much better. I am afraid because I have heard seafoam will clear so much carbon it had a piece get stuck under the valve and it wouls not close so the cr would not start and had to have the head removed and reworked. anyways any :help: would be awesome. I know all you guys are really great with these cars.

Oh yea, :cheers:HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :cheers:

stevo89
01-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Look at my thread that is called idle problems... its toward the top of the technical section. as for the pull handle... i believe your talkin bout the one one the left hand side of the steering wheel and that would be the tilt wheel.... pull it out then push it back and it will loosen up the wheel for ya lol

Dr_Snooz
01-01-2010, 08:29 AM
The handle is for the ejection seat. Please operate with care.

Strahan
01-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Be aware that in the statement "pull it out then push it back" by Stevo he isn't meaning just move it back and forth (that's the way it sounded to me, pull it out then just push it back the way it was heh) he means pull it out and push it down toward the footwell. When the wheel is oriented the way you like, pull it back up then push it back in.

frantik
01-01-2010, 09:06 AM
The handle is for the ejection seat. Please operate with care.

dammit i was gonna say it was for the emergency eject..

carotman
01-01-2010, 11:23 AM
A Handle judt beside the steering wheel, what might this be for?

Nio
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
:D rofl, I knew it was for the Wheel, I didn't know you had to pull it down. :P I thought mine was broken. Yea! now I can adjust my wheel right.

w261w261
01-01-2010, 11:50 AM
A Handle judt beside the steering wheel, what might this be for?

Engages 4 wheel steering.

Civic Accord Honda
01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
i miss the 4 wheel steering on my 3g shit was tight...

charliekuney
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
It's the vtakks lever. Pull for supperturbofastnezz.

bgpblaze
01-01-2010, 04:47 PM
hahahahah hohohoho boy you guys are a hoot!! man I can see why someone would come on here to ask a legitimate question or two and get a respectful answer. wow thanks guys. Man this makes me want to stay signed up on this message board. And maybe did ya stop and think maybe it is non functional in my vehicle hence the reason it isn't "doing nothing" as I described. I actually assumed it was for tilt wheel but when the wheel didn't tilt, well I thought I might ask some adults that may own and have some experience with these particular cars. The first response was good and thank you it CONFIRMED my initial thought. To the rest of you hats, well let's just say there are thousands of comedians out in the world that are out of work, you may want to stop doing it for free.

Thanks a bunch. And yes I can take a joke, but this being my first post, I just thought there were a few more intellegent members here. Flaming or thinking you are flaming me and it's cute and the rest of your buddies on the board will think you just got one. You got me, go you!! pwned, fail, whatever you got me, I will see you around

out

charliekuney
01-01-2010, 04:56 PM
You obviously can't take a joke, as you're not taking them very lightly. Pull the stick out of your ass, sit back, and laugh.

Civic Accord Honda
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
lol... dude lighten up... noobs get bashed... if you think this forum is bad check out honda-tech and then you will want to toss your computer out a window...

just remember search alot on here... help people out and gain respect ...

lostforawhile
01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
people on here are going to cut up with you, but they will help you. it was just a joke not a personal attack. pull the handle out and push it towards the floor. now adjust the wheel the way you want, pull the handle back up tight, and let it slide back. make sure the wheel is locked in place.

frantik
01-01-2010, 06:08 PM
:wave: sorry guy

btw stevo told you the right answer in the first reply :)

also, make sure you open your sunroof before pulling the eject lever :kekeke:

cubert
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
If you were to look through the FAQ section of the board, or even tried searching, you wouldnt have to put up with the sarcasm. :thumbup:

lostforawhile
01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
on the super rare convertible SEI vtech edition it does act like an ejection seat handle though, for annoying passengers. :D

Civic Accord Honda
01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
If you were to look through the FAQ section of the board, oreven tried searching, you wouldnt have to put up with the sarcasm. :thumbup:

EXACTLY!! :eek5:

Importordomestic
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
the handle is for the ejection seat. Please operate with care.

that was awesome!

gtmst3
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
feisty noobs eh?

ghettogeddy
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
my first ever post had the same question in it maybe you guys are just being a lil to hard on him lol

ghettogeddy
01-01-2010, 08:03 PM
see
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=587245&postcount=17

charliekuney
01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Initially, I think we were. After he said this (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=993937&postcount=11), he deserved it all.

w261w261
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
my first ever post had the same question in it maybe you guys are just being a lil to hard on him lol

For a few years I had an '85 Volvo. The site for Volvo owners was oh-so-civilized, with tasteful, intelligent questions and deeply considered, thoughtful answers. Solid, like a rock. Also boring, like a rock. I like this a whole lot better. And that lever doesn't activate the 4 wheel steering? I thought if you pull it out and let the rear ball joints get real loose the car will turn in faster.

ghettogeddy
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Initially, I think we were. After he said this (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=993937&postcount=11), he deserved it all.

theres a thin line here ive said it before not everyone thinks like we do not everyone thinks like you do

we are a site that prides its self on being a helpful and friendly restoration site not a make fun of everyone that walks in site

now if after he gets his answer and he posts then have fun
but be polite and at least wait for him to acknowledge his mistake before flaming him

carotman
01-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I know some people don't have it because this is an old car but this is all described in the owner's manual.

Pulling on that stick gives you extra leverage to unlock the tilt steering.

Nio
01-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Lol don't feel bad, I've been to about 15 forums now, :P and I get the same thing If I don't check everything first.

:D plus just push them off, they mean no harm, they just want a good laugh....

nswst8
01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
hahahahah hohohoho boy you guys are a hoot!! man I can see why someone would come on here to ask a legitimate question or two and get a respectful answer. wow thanks guys. Man this makes me want to stay signed up on this message board. And maybe did ya stop and think maybe it is non functional in my vehicle hence the reason it isn't "doing nothing" as I described. I actually assumed it was for tilt wheel but when the wheel didn't tilt, well I thought I might ask some adults that may own and have some experience with these particular cars. The first response was good and thank you it CONFIRMED my initial thought. To the rest of you hats, well let's just say there are thousands of comedians out in the world that are out of work, you may want to stop doing it for free.

Thanks a bunch. And yes I can take a joke, but this being my first post, I just thought there were a few more intellegent members here. Flaming or thinking you are flaming me and it's cute and the rest of your buddies on the board will think you just got one. You got me, go you!! pwned, fail, whatever you got me, I will see you around

out

You may want to retract this. This is a great little forum that will assist you in the problems that lay in wait ahead of you.

It is just alittle razzling. shake it off and welcome to the board. "Happy New Year"

charliekuney
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Pulling on that stick gives you extra leverage to unlock the tilt steering.

About that: Why does Kelley Blue Book consider it an option? Didn't every 3g have that? Same with cruise control on the LX-i and SE-i. Didn't they have cruise control standard?

lostforawhile
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
About that: Why does Kelley Blue Book consider it an option? Didn't every 3g have that? Same with cruise control on the LX-i and SE-i. Didn't they have cruise control standard?
i've seen a few without it. but most of them had it.

charliekuney
01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
i've seen a few without it. but most of them had it.

The adjustable steering or cruise control?

lostforawhile
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
The adjustable steering or cruise control?

the steering. there was a bare bones package available with no ac,radio, tilt steering etc. I think people used them for courier work and so on. We had a 93 civic like that years ago,when I was married to my ex, it didn't even have a stupid radio antenna.

charliekuney
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
It's the Accord STD! I swear I've heard of one, but no one believes me. They said Honda only did that with the Civic.

lostforawhile
01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
It's the Accord STD! I swear I've heard of one, but no one believes me. They said Honda only did that with the Civic.

it existed, I've seen one at the yard before, had nothing!! I don't think many were made because they wouldn't have been popular for resale. there were some oddballs that have been forgotten. Most of the time the stripped down cars aren't advertised, they are sold to fleet owners,and delivery drivers. someone around here has a prius used for deliveries, it doesn't even have a rear seat, just a carpeted shelf.

charliekuney
01-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Weird. I think a standard model would be a great start for a swap towards a track car.

lostforawhile
01-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Weird. I think a standard model would be a great start for a swap towards a track car.yea but 25 years ago,no one was interested in a track car for them yet, most of the bare bones ones were run to death delivering flowers and medicines.

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 06:36 PM

STD = Standard three door so it had to of only been on hatchs...im pretty sure my 82 was a STD

charliekuney
01-02-2010, 07:46 PM
STD = Standard three door so it had to of only been on hatchs...im pretty sure my 82 was a STD

Actually, STD is short for standard. Just like LTD is short for limited.

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Actually, STD is short for standard. Just like LTD is short for limited.

Not what honda said about it in the 91 STD owners manual lol they called it a standard three door

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2010, 08:55 PM

out

Dude. Lighten up. You're pissed off that we don't show you any respect. Well, you haven't shown enough respect to us to search for an answer before posting. You haven't shown enough respect to learn a little about the board before posting a very basic question. You haven't shown enough respect even to read the owner's manual for the car we love so much here. These are pretty basic first steps that would have saved you this frustration. There is a lot of knowledge here that is freely shared, but if you tramp in and ask a boneheaded question, be prepared to take a ribbing.

Now take some deep breaths, get over yourself, post up some pics of your car and introduce yourself properly.

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
:wave: sorry guy

btw stevo told you the right answer in the first reply :)

also, make sure you open your sunroof before pulling the eject lever :kekeke:

If it has a sunroof lol

ghettogeddy
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Dude. Lighten up. You're pissed off that we don't show you any respect. Well, you haven't shown enough respect to us to search for an answer before posting. You haven't shown enough respect to learn a little about the board before posting a very basic question. You haven't shown enough respect even to read the owner's manual for the car we love so much here. These are pretty basic first steps that would have saved you this frustration. There is a lot of knowledge here that is freely shared, but if you tramp in and ask a boneheaded question, be prepared to take a ribbing.

Now take some deep breaths, get over yourself, post up some pics of your car and introduce yourself properly.

none of that gives any reason for the way current vet members have acted.

"There is a lot of knowledge here that is freely shared, but if you tramp in and ask a boneheaded question, be prepared to take a ribbing."

that right there is the most disrespectful thing to say to someone who is even interested in restoring or working on a the car we love so much.

when are you guys gona learn that we are here to help not to bash
we want to keep these cars going not run off people who are at least attempting to do so

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 09:08 PM
well i didnt introduce myself and eh well never really thought about it lol well im Mark by the way everyone and ima a noob too

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
lol look how much you mother fuckers flamed me and i turned out fine :) im actully glad it happened i learned from it.... if you wouldn't of flamed i would have some civic with a wing altezzas and a body kit....

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
lol shit i never got flamed when i got on the first day

ghettogeddy
01-02-2010, 09:23 PM
lol look how much you mother fuckers flamed me and i turned out fine :) im actully glad it happened i learned from it.... if you wouldn't of flamed i would have some civic with a wing altezzas and a body kit....

ya but that was after you did stupid shit lol you never ask you did then asked lol

w261w261
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
<< that right there is the most disrespectful thing to say to someone who is even interested in restoring or working on a the car we love so much.

we want to keep these cars going not run off people who are at least attempting to do so >>

No one "ran off" bgpblaze. He got a little light hazing, but after he had his questions answered. He's also not a 20 year old, judging from the way he framed his question and the wording of his frankly, petulant and sarcastic reply. If you get to be that old and are still ready to pick up your toys and leave the schoolyard when you don't like what you hear, you got other issues. This is not an unwelcoming board, which is obvious if you read through the threads. It's a culture which is broadly based, within our area of mutual interest in the 1G to 3G's. Some are still kids, others 40 or 50 years older. Some pop off, some don't. You don't have to have a thick skin to hang here, but considering our makeup, you might not get to have it your way, always. Within our somewhat broad limits, I personally like the diversity, and I also thought the ejection seat handle was pretty funny.

Also, I think that bhpblaze, who is undoubtedly reading these posts, should get back on and be part of the dialogue.

ShyBoyCA6
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
<< that right there is the most disrespectful thing to say to someone who is even interested in restoring or working on a the car we love so much.

we want to keep these cars going not run off people who are at least attempting to do so >>

No one "ran off" bgpblaze. He got a little light hazing, but after he had his questions answered. He's also not a 20 year old, judging from the way he framed his question and the wording of his frankly, petulant and sarcastic reply. If you get to be that old and are still ready to pick up your toys and leave the schoolyard when you don't like what you hear, you got other issues. This is not an unwelcoming board, which is obvious if you read through the threads. It's a culture which is broadly based, within our area of mutual interest in the 1G to 3G's. Some are still kids, others 40 or 50 years older. Some pop off, some don't. You don't have to have a thick skin to hang here, but considering our makeup, you might not get to have it your way, always. Within our somewhat broad limits, I personally like the diversity, and I also thought the ejection seat handle was pretty funny.

Also, I think that bhpblaze, who is undoubtedly reading these posts, should get back on and be part of the dialogue.

well the kid cant take a joke well he should of went along with it instead of getting butt hurt about it but you know he walked right into that one lol

ghettogeddy
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
well im not saying that it was anythign bad that was said

but its seems to be a more growing trend as of late to just bash instead of help
i know we have a new group of guys around but it dosent mean we should attack people
hell i think we need to implement a rule that is its posted in the noob forums that there is no flaming allowed

and as i said this isent the first time in the last couple months ive seen a few people flamed for asking noob questions

seems like now that we have a answer to all the swap questions with the new mounts being made that people have moved on to other things lol

dacantu
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
well im not saying that it was anythign bad that was said

but its seems to be a more growing trend as of late to just bash instead of help
i know we have a new group of guys around but it dosent mean we should attack people
hell i think we need to implement a rule that is its posted in the noob forums that there is no flaming allowed

and as i said this isent the first time in the last couple months ive seen a few people flamed for asking noob questions

seems like now that we have a answer to all the swap questions with the new mounts being made that people have moved on to other things lol

I agree with this. Im still semi noobish i would say but Ive tried my hand at being helpful to this point. Ive posted some links and pics when questions are asked just to help out. BUT..... i also mention that its not difficult to do a quick search.

If everyone did this im sure we would have a few more people interested in sharing their own new ideas to this site.

Flaming should only be allowed with us members who have also been around for a while. (only because we need a little fun) :P

nswst8
01-02-2010, 10:58 PM
lol shit i never got flamed when i got on the first day

Consider yourself flamed.:kekeke:

Civic Accord Honda
01-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Well........ if they search they wont get flamed :)

ghettogeddy
01-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Well........ if they search they wont get flamed :)

i know but we have beating that to death and it hasent gotten anyone anywhere i swear we still need a noobs learning guide about what to do before posting questions, something they actually have to read before continuing

dacantu
01-02-2010, 11:35 PM
i know but we have beating that to death and it hasent gotten anyone anywhere i swear we still need a noobs learning guide about what to do before posting questions, something they actually have to read before continuing

x2. we all know it could make people too lazy to actually search at first but if they really are interested in their cars it'll make it worth while.

and it will keep all the incredibly lazy people out! :cheers:

Civic Accord Honda
01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
yep I agree they should get some pop up that says " you can not post until you have read this " or somewhat like the classfieds on the cb7tunere where u cant post or view until u read deevs post and find the password in the post lol

Strahan
01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Hell, this board is quite tame with the noob-hazing compared to some I've seen heh.

charliekuney
01-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Not what honda said about it in the 91 STD owners manual lol they called it a standard three door

Well, that's Honda for you.

ShyBoyCA6
01-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Consider yourself flamed.:kekeke:
na im good lol i rather be unflamed:tongue:

JDMorDie_88LXi
09-10-2015, 11:13 AM
[QUOT] [trahan;993865]Be aware that in thatement "pull it out n push it back" by Stevo he isn't meaning just move it back and forth (that's the way it sounded to me, pull it out then just push it back the way it was heh) he means pull it out and push it down toward the footwell. When the wheel is oriented the way you like, pull it back up then push it back in.[/QUOTE]

Haha thank you for explaining that. I've done a ton of engine work on my car and couldn't figure out how to adjust the tilt lol