PDA

View Full Version : vent controls in the vent, and near the drivers knee

newaccorddriver
01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
just curious what those knobs are for. i have them in my 89 accord ex-i, but never had then in my 86 ex-i. also, how important is it to keep all 3 of those cables in there?

-DWM-
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
The little wheels on each vent control the direcion of the air, side to side. The lever inbetween the center vents switches between fresh air, and heat thru that vent. The two levers by your right knee that say "side vent" are for the side vents, pull open, push closed. the lever by your left knee is for the tilt steering. pull it out and lever it fown to adjust your steering wheel.

What three cables are you talking about?

w261w261
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Just a guess, but maybe the 3 cables you are referring to are the cables for the right and left vent controls (right of steering wheel) and the center vent (outside/inside air). I'd think that you wouldn't want to get rid of them, or if you are disconnecting them, make sure that the vents are in the position that you want them to stay. I think the center vent control goes down to a lever behind the glove box somewhere.

charliekuney
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
The center one goes pretty straight back, but it does curve towards the glove box a bit. Trust me, I would know (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68731).

newaccorddriver
01-04-2010, 11:52 PM
The little wheels on each vent control the direcion of the air, side to side. The lever inbetween the center vents switches between fresh air, and heat thru that vent. The two levers by your right knee that say "side vent" are for the side vents, pull open, push closed. the lever by your left knee is for the tilt steering. pull it out and lever it fown to adjust your steering wheel.

What three cables are you talking about?

the cables im refering to are the 2 'side vent' cables, and the last cable is the one that is in the middle of the dashboard vent.

newaccorddriver
01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
The center one goes pretty straight back, but it does curve towards the glove box a bit. Trust me, I would know (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68731).

ive read most of your thread, but still dont get what the wire in that center vent really does. isnt the electrical door controller supposed to send air to the proper vents, or does that level just help bring more cool/fresh/unheated air into the cabin?

-DWM-
01-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Center cable is hooked to the small lever in the center vents, and controls wether outside or inside air comes thru that vent. Am I right? You won't have full function of the climate controls if you remove those cables, I'd recommend keeping them all. If you get rid of them, I'd say make sure the side vents end up in the open position. But really, you want to keep them. What are you trying to do?

-DWM-
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
that lever just helps bring more cool/fresh/unheated air into the cabin.

This.

Civic Accord Honda
01-05-2010, 11:36 PM
close em and get rid of them if u dont want them lol thats what i did when i dash swaped my 88lxi to a 87dx dash

newaccorddriver
01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
close em and get rid of them if u dont want them lol thats what i did when i dash swaped my 88lxi to a 87dx dash

no ill effects?

Civic Accord Honda
01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
no ill effects?

nope

-Rotu-
01-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Are the center vents supposed to blow cold air all the time? I mean the only time they blow some warm air, is when I click on the button, which shows air to face or something like that.

carotman
01-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Getting ird of the side vent controls on an 88-89 is stupid.

They work different between 86-87 and 88-89

Since you don't have controls for these in the 86-87, they will blow air when you select the "Vent" or "Hi/Lo" position on your controls.

In 88-89 they will blow air when you pull the lever and will stop blowing air if you push it. The selection on the HVAC controls has no influence on them.

This means they will stop working properly if you remove the cables.

There's no reason to do this other than breaking your car on purpose.

w261w261
01-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Also, closing the side vents will I think remove air to the defroster vents that blow on the side windows.

One of the really nice things about at least the 88-89's is the range of independent control over the vents. Why anyone would want to screw that up I have no idea. Frankly, it sounds like what GM would have done when they set out to copy a car like the Accord. "Let's see, how can we cheapen this up even if it makes a big difference in how it works? I know, let's just get rid of all these handles and cables. The idiot customer will never miss them."

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

newaccorddriver
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
so all 3 cables should be kept installed?