PDA

View Full Version : junkyard AC parts

newaccorddriver
01-02-2010, 07:13 PM
is it worthwhile to get a efw AC parts from the junkyard? im refering mainly to things like a compressor, and the AC lines.

nswst8
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I have had good luck with some A/C parts ie: compressor, lines and hoses. Just check them over carefully and be prepared to bring them back to swap out if needed.

If the clutch is operating smooth and the shaft spins the pistons without drag on the compressor I'd give them a try.

newaccorddriver
01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
none of the parts i have are actually defective, and thats cause i dont have any of the AC parts anymore. elijah gutted the engine bay parts, and i finished off the interior parts. now that i see AC is a worthwhile investment, im going to try and add it back on.

what is there to look out for on the lines and such when finding parts? i might order a reman compressor from ebay, but im not sure yet. most other parts will be from junkyard though

russiankid
01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
You want to look for the oval type compressor, which I believe is the Keihin. The Nippon Denso one only takes R12 vs the Keihin taking both R12 and R134a. The Nippon Denso is a square type.

For lines, since they are rubber, make sure they do not have any cracks in them.

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
You want to look for the oval type compressor, which I believe is the Keihin. The Nippon Denso one only takes R12 vs the Keihin taking both R12 and R134a. The Nippon Denso is a square type.

For lines, since they are rubber, make sure they do not have any cracks in them.

I think the Keihin is the one to avoid. I wouldn't get any A/C parts from the junkyard myself. They will be worn out. Maybe the condenser and evaporator, but definitely not the compressor.

russiankid
01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
I think the Keihin is the one to avoid. I wouldn't get any A/C parts from the junkyard myself. They will be worn out. Maybe the condenser and evaporator, but definitely not the compressor.

Hm, I don't really remember which one is which, but avoid the square looking one. You want the cylinder looking one.

P.S. No idea why I said oval previously. They are definitely not oval. :hmph:

nswst8
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking of investing in this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180405286795&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT