PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum advance question

nswst8
01-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Setting the timing on the 89 I just got.

When trying to get it in time, I cannot get to the 15 degree mark. I have the adjustable cam advanced to the 2 degree mark and I still can't get to the 15 degree mark. (Vacuum advance hoses removed and plugged to set timing)

The timing belt is on the money, double checked it this afternoon. I'm suspecting that the vacuum advance is shot.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

nswst8
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Correcting myself: with the vacuum hoses plugged the timing is suppose to be 4 degrees BTDC

After reconnecting vacuum hoses idle timing should be @ 15 degrees +/- 2 degrees.

I will re-attempt tomorrow.

nswst8
01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Re-checked everything, timing is 100% on the money 15 degrees. I think my idling issue is with the EACV (electronic air control valve)

1987AccordLx-i
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Re-checked everything, timing is 100% on the money 15 degrees. I think my idling issue is with the EACV (electronic air control valve)

the higher the idle,the more timing will be bouncy... make sure shes at 700-900 rpm then check timing... also to check for a bad vac advance just put a piece of hose on the advance and suck on it... if it dont hold vacuum then theres the problem.. i had a similar problem.. mine wasnt staying at the correct timing so i checked the advance and that was the problem..

nswst8
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Swapped the O2 sensor wires on the DC header (forgot that this was a must) after the check engine light came on on the highway. Acceleration was jumpy. After swapping wires everything smooth out.

Will go and reset timing again because I advanced it on the cam gear 1 degree. This baby pulls hard. I absolutely love this coupe.

But I will still go ahead and clean out the EACV for good measure.