PDA

View Full Version : cant get key out of ignition dont want my car stolen

sparkmaster123
01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
hey my key wont come out of my ignition does anyone know any way to get it to come out. it doesnt have a button to realease it and if it stays like that someone will steal it

nswst8
01-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Try turning your steering wheel alittle while turning your key. Sometimes the collum locks gets stuck in an awkward position.

ghettogeddy
01-02-2010, 11:01 PM
just pull your battery out till you can figure it out
also goo to do so you can mess with moving it forward and backward

dacantu
01-02-2010, 11:16 PM
this may sound stupid but my car used to do this years ago when my brother owned it. But sometimes on any given day it would not release the key and we noticed it was on some really cold mornings. during the day when it was nice and warm it would release the key like nothing but idk maybe its the same problem?

dont flame me for this guys im 100% serious lol im not sure if the temp was coorelated with anything though its just what we noticed?

sparkmaster123
01-02-2010, 11:22 PM
sorry but i cant just pull the battery till i can figure it out. i have to work in the morning and it is my only way there but if i leave the key in it someone will take it. its weard cause the key wont work in the door locks either it wont even turn. but the door dould be cause of the cold but the ignition has been doing it on and off but now it wont even come out at all, i tride turning the weel and everything the shift lock stays on to when it wont come out and i have to stick my spare key in the shift lock realease to judt get it in drive. this really sucks wish i had something else to drive till i can figure this peace of crap out.

ghettogeddy
01-02-2010, 11:24 PM
you can wake up a lil early and put the battery back lol its not like your taking a wheel off

you should at least disconnect it while messing with it that way you can move it all the way forward without turning the car on

dacantu
01-02-2010, 11:26 PM
you can wake up a lil early and put the battery back lol its not like your taking a wheel off

you should at least disconnect it while messing with it that way you can move it all the way forward without turning the car on

x2

Sh4d0w
01-02-2010, 11:28 PM
x3

Hash_man_Se_i
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
If it's an auto trans, I believe there is a parking switch which senses when the car is in park to let you remove the key... I know I used to have this issue sometimes on my old se-i... But for now pull the battery like the others said, takes 2 minutes.

accordion89
01-04-2010, 01:05 PM
If it's an auto trans, I believe there is a parking switch which senses when the car is in park to let you remove the key... I know I used to have this issue sometimes on my old se-i... But for now pull the battery like the others said, takes 2 minutes.

X2, this happens to me when its really cold, jiggle the drive stick

ShyBoyCA6
01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Well just take out a fuse till you figure how to take it out take out the fuel pump fuse instead of taking the battery

jlocofan
01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I have the same problem sometimes, not sure what it is but if you figure it out let us know.

stat1K
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
lol he said the key wouldn't work in the door, my guess is you don't have the right key? if you say "yeah it is it started the car" i have a key that will start and unlock 50% of honda's with some force and or a jiggle or two...

alberto
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
So haaaa were is your car rith know? :devil:

-DWM-
01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
So haaaa were is your car rith know? :devil:

WTF are you talking about?

headbanger
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
instead of taking out battery just take off the coil wire.most people that would steal it would never even pop hood if it doesnt start they just will think its tore up.Be a heck of alot easier than taking out battery.I would also try disconnecting battery an spraying in switch real good with some contact cleaner.or wd40.then if that doesnt work try headbutting it several times.I really enjoy the ole technical tap.

w261w261
01-08-2010, 07:50 AM
If disconnecting the electrics doesn't help, it may be that your ignition switch is starting to fail. I *think* but I'm not sure, that several years ago I had to replace my switch, and I think the trouble started when I had difficulty getting the key out. My car is standard tranny.

nfs480
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
this may sound stupid but my car used to do this years ago when my brother owned it. But sometimes on any given day it would not release the key and we noticed it was on some really cold mornings. during the day when it was nice and warm it would release the key like nothing but idk maybe its the same problem?

dont flame me for this guys im 100% serious lol im not sure if the temp was coorelated with anything though its just what we noticed?

Same thing happens to me when it's cold. I'll notice that the key won't release until I see the red "P" light up on the dash to show i'm in park.

car6289
01-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Mounted slightly forward and above the ignition tumbler there is an interlock solenoid. The plunger on this solenoid connects to the interlock lever. The engagement of the interlock lever prevents key removal, particularly when it's cold. Shift lever must be in "P" with "P" illuminated for solenoid to release the interlock lever. The following remedy has worked for me for the last 8 years

To prevent the interlock lever from ever engaging in the first place,
1. Remove the steering column cover (6 screws).
2. Locate the interlock solenoid.
3. Remove the small white plastic cover to expose the plunger of the solenoid and the groove in the interlock lever.
4. Remove the two screws that secure the solenoid. Lift the solenoid up slightly to disengage the plunger from the interlock lever.
5. Move the interlock lever toward the steering column.
6. Install the solenoid so its' plunger is no longer engaged with the groove in the interlock lever. (see photo)
7. Install white plastic cover and steering column cover.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9080/interlocksolenoid.jpg

lostforawhile
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Same thing happens to me when it's cold. I'll notice that the key won't release until I see the red "P" light up on the dash to show i'm in park.

thats supposed to happen with an auto tranny,it's the interlock solenoid

car6289
01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
The ignition key interlock became such a pain in the ass on short trips when the temp was around 40°F, I had to disable it. Lest I forget the shift interlock included in my 89 LX. Must press brake pedal before shifting from park. Another feature that functions intermittently in colder weather. The ignition key from my old 87 LX resides permanently in the release slot provided beside the shift lever to override the solenoid there. Automatics have their moments.
Present temperature here is 42°F, perfect for interlock malfunctioning.

2oodoor
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
lol he said the key wouldn't work in the door, my guess is you don't have the right key? if you say "yeah it is it started the car" i have a key that will start and unlock 50% of honda's with some force and or a jiggle or two...

precisely,^^^^ it is easy to make a master key for these...

OP make sure you have it indexed in the position to pull it out try turning and pulling at once.

Civic Accord Honda
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM

+1 ... damn honda keys :lol:

Dr_Snooz
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
This is a good reminder to shoot a good dry lube into your lock cylinders every so often.

DBMaster
01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
This is a good reminder to shoot a good dry lube into your lock cylinders every so often.

Yes, I have been a big fan of aerosol lock lubricant for a hundred years! :bandit:

It goes in with a solvent mixed with graphite powder. You spray it in, work the key in and out a bit, and then the solvent evaporates. Good stuff. One small can will last you half your life.

stat1K
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
^ unless your the guy who does maintenance for the banks lol... then they use it on everything and go through a can at one branch, seen it done.

fuelinjected89AccLxi
01-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Yeah, I've been having this same very, very, very annoying problem with my '89 Lxi automatic for at least 6 years, but ONLY when it's cold outside, almost NEVER when it's warm outside. The auto shifter also does this when it's cold outside, but i just keep a key blank in the shift lock release all the time for convenience -- only it only unlocks the shifter and does NOT allow the ignition key to be able to come out. I tried years ago dry graphite (not too much) squirted in the ignition tumblers, etc. and it didn't help a bit. This might sound strange, but I firmly, carefully "squeeze" and "push" the key very, very slowly a certain way and am always able to finally get it out this way, only sometimes I have to do this literally dozens of times before the key finally "magically" releases from the ignition. I'm going to try what car6289 said previously and hopefully never have to deal with this crap problem every again! :ugh:

lostforawhile
04-03-2010, 05:00 AM
The ignition key interlock became such a pain in the ass on short trips when the temp was around 40°F, I had to disable it. Lest I forget the shift interlock included in my 89 LX. Must press brake pedal before shifting from park. Another feature that functions intermittently in colder weather. The ignition key from my old 87 LX resides permanently in the release slot provided beside the shift lever to override the solenoid there. Automatics have their moments.
Present temperature here is 42°F, perfect for interlock malfunctioning.

the brake light switch sends voltage to another solonoid in the shifter assembly, this won't let you take the car out of park unless you are stepping on the brake, if your brake light fuse is blown,or this solonoid malfunctions, you can't get the car out of park, I can't remember on three g auto's, but most honda's have a slot in the shifter where you insert the key, this lets you get the shifter out of park in an emergency, you insert the key,shift to neutral, then remove the key and start the car, you can shift from neutral into the other gears without the interlock.

car6289
04-03-2010, 07:19 AM
My fuzzy memory doesn't remember having the slot beside the shifter in my old 87 LX. It never had any interlock problems. I can't be certain it had an interlock system for either the shift lever or the ignition key assembly. Stepping on the brake before shifter movement is an automatic function of me, like breathing. I've been manual transmission deprived since 1992.

charliekuney
04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Stepping on the brake before shifter movement is an automatic function of me, like breathing. I've been manual transmission deprived since 1992.

It's kind of like pushing in the clutch to start a manual (for some people on here, I recently found out) or pushing it in to come to a complete stop or something.

AccordB20A
04-03-2010, 12:55 PM
JDM accords have a key slot in 88-89 but not 86-87

Automatic gearboxes, failing in more than one way since 1985.....

lostforawhile
04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
JDM accords have a key slot in 88-89 but not 86-87

Automatic gearboxes, failing in more than one way since 1985.....

yea the auto in the 98 civic has the slot, had to use it more then once. this one the shift knob comes loose and the button and spring shoots out.

89HatchbackLxi
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I've been having this same very, very, very annoying problem with my '89 Lxi automatic for at least 6 years, but ONLY when it's cold outside, almost NEVER when it's warm outside. The auto shifter also does this when it's cold outside, but i just keep a key blank in the shift lock release all the time for convenience -- only it only unlocks the shifter and does NOT allow the ignition key to be able to come out. I tried years ago dry graphite (not too much) squirted in the ignition tumblers, etc. and it didn't help a bit. This might sound strange, but I firmly, carefully "squeeze" and "push" the key very, very slowly a certain way and am always able to finally get it out this way, only sometimes I have to do this literally dozens of times before the key finally "magically" releases from the ignition. I'm going to try what car6289 said previously and hopefully never have to deal with this crap problem every again! :ugh:

I have had this exact same stupid problem in my 89 LXi A/T every morning since the weather started getting colder out! Is there any way to fix this problem without realigning the interlock system to not work correctly as was posted earlier in this thread? I'm assuming the system had to work properly when the cars were new, so there should be a way to fix it so that it operates normally right?

DBMaster
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Throw a towel over the steering wheel and column when you exit the car. Anyone looking will just think you're weird and not that you're covering your key stuck in the lock. :)

fuelinjected89AccLxi
02-16-2014, 06:03 PM
I also recently discovered that there's a solenoid in the automatic shifter assembly (under the plastic garnish cover) that if I'm not mistaken has a bit of grease in there so when it gets colder the grease becomes more viscous and causes "sticking" in the small delicate parts/spring that otherwise won't stick when its warmer outside. I read somewhere about a fairly easy fix to this, but I just have too many other things going on right now for it to be a high enough priority for me. One day I will fix it though...although that "one day" may still be 10 years from now!