PDA

View Full Version : My stupid suspension

anchovies
10-05-2002, 08:19 PM
I still can't believe a fairly easy job changing struts and springs can bring up shot load of troubles.

For those who's car has gone through snow, sleet, mud, rain what have you, expect frozen bolts and more suprises.

Okie, I got around the frozen bolts and a pack of ciggarettes, but the STUPID LOCKING NUT is jammed TIGHT on the struts. WTFFFF :burn:
This car is possesed I tell you.

PS: ANYBODY HAS THE SUSPENSION PARTS (BOOT, BUMP STOPS, SEAT, BASE, ETC...) PLEASE PM ME!!

:mad:

Jims 86LXI HB
10-05-2002, 09:05 PM
air ratchet won't take those off?

Otherwise I know they are in a sucky location to be able to really put some back bone into them.

jigga225
10-06-2002, 05:01 PM
loosen the bolt on top of the strut, the one that is under the hood.
Then you may be able to turn the fork a little to where you can get a cheater on the nut.... use kroil or wd 40

peace

anchovies
10-06-2002, 10:51 PM
:huh:
i think you guys got it wrong.
It's the nut on top of the struts that are jammed tight. The one that you need to use an allen wrench.
Broke an allen key, destroyed an allen socket, half a can of pb blaster, still not moving

So any one who has all the boot, bump stops, collar, seat etc...sell it to me please.

YK86
10-06-2002, 11:27 PM
If those struts are going in the garbage, use spring compressors (very important) and compress the spring. Use a drill and drill in the middle of the allen hole and use a bigger and bigger bit til the nut falls off. That's what I had to do to take apart a Taurus strut I changed for a co-worker before. If you are going to use it again, I think an impact gun or heating and using a air wrench will be the only way.

anchovies
10-06-2002, 11:42 PM
yeap also tried with an air wrench, it still won't budge.
I have put the suspension back on with prelude arms..hihi...my wheels are like this \ / and difficult as hell to corner

ps: is there a rear jacking point to bring both rear wheels up? I don't have a hook on mine.

YK86
10-07-2002, 01:49 AM
There's a bump in the middle if you look underneath (trunk floor). You can jack it up there. And it seems like you are going to have to drill that nut off the strut.

bobafett
10-07-2002, 11:10 AM
i had a lot of trouble with mine, i ended up having to set it on a brick, and stand on the strut, then pull with the ultimate cheater attached to the allen wrench! it was a 5 foot metal tube! that fuck broke loose right away. but also try lots of wd40 or liquid wrench, i thought mine would never come off, but it was no sweat with proper leverage!

btw, if youre breaking allen wrenches you need better allen wrenches... mine bent like hell, but never snapped!

POS carb
10-07-2002, 05:26 PM
cut the shit off and get new struts.

anchovies
10-07-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm sneak some from the junkers. hopefully those doesn't have the same trouble

PS: The spindle nut is 32mm??

GreenMachine
10-08-2002, 03:35 PM
32mm is right