PDA

View Full Version : Another, but different, exhaust question.

Bass Man
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Well to start, a long time ago I had a 40 series on my A3 block with the carb instake and weber, had the 4-2-1 exhaust from the A3 as well. The exhaust was 1 3/4 after the flexpipe, then a couple feet later went to 2" and I had the 40 behind that with a 5" tip and it sounded amazing!

Edit: something I left out, I don't have a cat on either setups.

When I rebuilt my sedan, the parts car had a 2" exhaust from the flexpipe. I used that, but I had the straight in, left out 40 series on my sidekick, but I found a left in, right out 40 locally to put on it. I took the 3" tip off the can from the parts exhaust and put it behind the flowmaster.

Before, it had that nice flowmaster sound to it and didn't rasp like a ricer, but with this last setup, it sounded like a damn $30 fart can! Same style muffler...

I've already talked to the exhaust shop and they can get a 2 1/4" flexpipe for me and run 2 1/4" all the way out for my hatch. I'm hoping I can get a performance header some day, so I won't worry so much about the big step from the downpipe to the flexpipe.

Question is, has anyone ran a glasspack in the cat location and another muffler out of the back?? Or should I just go with a resonator??

Bass Man
01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I plan on taking it to the track, and I don't wan't all the v6 and v8 Richard Riders (think about it...) saying "POS Ricer", I want a sound like an Audi v6 (if you play Need For Speed Underground 2, you'll know the sound) but the least restrictive.

Hauntd ca3
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
i run a 2.25 inch system form the collector out with a glss pack where the cat was and a fairly unrestrictive rear muffler and it sounds good, well i think it duz anyhoo.
there is a vid of it in my pics thread if you want an idea on the sound

-DWM-
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
4 cylinders will always sound like 4 cylinders. Even though the two different vehicles had similar exhaust systems, other factors will effect the sound, like engine tune, construction, firing order, cam duration and timing, etc.

Bass Man
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
There are good sounding 4's and there are POS Ricer sounding 4's. I looked for a video for a while.

-DWM-
01-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I know some 4's sound good and some sound like garbage, but they always sound like 4's. At least I haven't been fooled yet, and I've been around. I'm saying it's a lot more than the components of the exhaust that effect the sound.

Hauntd ca3
01-06-2010, 01:21 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62284
thats the link to my cars thread.
think vid is on page 2 or 3

Nio
01-06-2010, 01:32 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62284
thats the link to my cars thread.
think vid is on page 2 or 3

I like the Way yours sounds. :D

stat1K
01-06-2010, 06:35 AM
ok so same series muffler and same pipes? or new pipes?

try and isolate the rasp, if it's near the muffler one of the bezels inside could be loose or broken causing the tone to change... i've seen this on stock mufflers more than others, also could be the sound deadening, is the muffler welded on to the setup or clamped on? if you can take it off shake it around and see what it sounds like...

as for the dude trying to tell you your car will always sound like a four cylinder, well no shit, i don't understand what he's trying to prove... "i have a superior ear for the difference in cylinders through exhaust notes because i've been around"

no one cares.

if you want to help bass man then help him, no one wants to hear about how his car is always gonna sound like a 4 cylinder.

LX-i
01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
4 cylinders will always sound like 4 cylinders.

idk, ive heard some ballsy 4 bangers :D

Bass Man
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Same series, little bit different piping.
And it is welded on, but I'm taking it all out anyways.

Rendon LX-i
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Ill agree with pat. BUT alot a muffler can loose its packing in the inside...If it gets wet and so on. YOU well start to hear more of the exhuast. I had that problem im like wtf. I yet changed my muff. Im just beening lazy..

cygnus x-1
01-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Flowmasters don't have any packing as far as I know. They are all chambered mufflers. If one of the baffles is loose then obviously that would change the sound.

But I suspect the first setup was less raspy because of the smaller piping after the flex pipe. Different sizes of piping will have different resonance characteristics and smaller piping will dampen the noise slightly more than larger piping. Pipe lengths will also make a difference as well as the tip and how far it sticks out past the bumper. It might sound crazy but I could hear the difference between not having an exhaust tip at all (just the muffler with no tip) and the muffler with a 4" piece of pipe after the outlet. Without the tip the outlet of the muffler was actually behind the edge of the bumper so that the noise would resonate under the car.

Anyway, right now I'm running the following: S&S 4-1 tube header with 2.5" collector, to a flex pipe, to a cherry bomb glass pack in place of the cat, with just a single generic "turbo" muffler in back. All piping is 2.5". It's just a hair louder than I would like but it sounds decent I think. The glass pack cuts the rasp and the muffler quiets the volume. I tried a knock off Flowmaster instead of the turbo muffler but it was just too loud. Sounded mean as hell at idle but there was a lot of drone at 3000RPM inside the car. If I could fit the next size up turbo muffler I think it would be perfect. If you do this try to get the longest glass pack you can to kill the rasp.

C|

Bass Man
01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Those Flowmasters are touchy! The longer the tail pipe, the better they sound, I think, at least on my Sidekick.

I'll definitely get a glasspack or resonator in before the Flowmaster, cuz I think I may keep the one I got and just have them add the glasspack.

stat1K
01-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Flowmasters don't have any packing as far as I know. They are all chambered mufflers. If one of the baffles is loose then obviously that would change the sound.

But I suspect the first setup was less raspy because of the smaller piping after the flex pipe. Different sizes of piping will have different resonance characteristics and smaller piping will dampen the noise slightly more than larger piping. Pipe lengths will also make a difference as well as the tip and how far it sticks out past the bumper. It might sound crazy but I could hear the difference between not having an exhaust tip at all (just the muffler with no tip) and the muffler with a 4" piece of pipe after the outlet. Without the tip the outlet of the muffler was actually behind the edge of the bumper so that the noise would resonate under the car.

Anyway, right now I'm running the following: S&S 4-1 tube header with 2.5" collector, to a flex pipe, to a cherry bomb glass pack in place of the cat, with just a single generic "turbo" muffler in back. All piping is 2.5". It's just a hair louder than I would like but it sounds decent I think. The glass pack cuts the rasp and the muffler quiets the volume. I tried a knock off Flowmaster instead of the turbo muffler but it was just too loud. Sounded mean as hell at idle but there was a lot of drone at 3000RPM inside the car. If I could fit the next size up turbo muffler I think it would be perfect. If you do this try to get the longest glass pack you can to kill the rasp.

C|

which is why i said the baffle not the packing lol... i called it a bezel though, couldn't remember what the hell it was called, i know my dc sport is quiet and it's the same type of muffler, and it has a long pipe on it. it's even quiet with an "ebay high flow cat" (testpipe) and a header with a 2" collector.

-DWM-
01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Those Flowmasters are touchy! The longer the tail pipe, the better they sound, I think, at least on my Sidekick.

Indeed! That's why they sound so nice on Mustangs. 3 feet of tailipe after the muffler. A resonator (glasspack) in the center with a high-flow muffler at the end is an ideal setup. You're definitely on the right track.

Bass Man
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I just don't want to be in my exhaust over $200... It sucks how offset the Flowmaster on my Honda is, cuz I put that muffler in, and it had to be at a weird angle to get the output in the right spot. I might look for a Dynaflow or stock v6 mustang muffler if they aren't too heavy.

Best thing about Flowmaster, is they only weigh about 7-8 pounds. I put a camaro Magnaflow muffler on my parents Pathfinder (Plugged a hole, it turned out really nice), and that thing weighed about 30 pounds!!

I put a glasspack in place of a buddies stock can muffler on his 85 5dr Stanza, and that sounded pretty damn good! It was stock piping with a cat, though.

-DWM-
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, those big Camaro counterflow mufflers are super heavy. See what you can find used! I'm sure you can get something decent together for under $200. Check eBay and classifieds, even on different forums.

Bass Man
01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
There was/is a Magnaflow off a civic for $100 obo here. It was about 2 weeks ago, so I don't know if it's been taken yet or not. Do they sound good with straight exhaust through a magnaflow?? Like I don't need a resonator?

stat1K
01-08-2010, 05:55 AM
llx-incredible built his setup, 2.5" piping, dc header, magnaflow high flow cat, magnaflow muffler with little to no tailpipe, it sounds deep and not raspy at all.