PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Head Gasket?

ACE_14
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Anybody here use a Head Gasket set off Ebay? I'm gonna replace the head gasket on my car, but not sure if the ebay ones are as good as getting one from Autozone or PepBoys.

Bluntman
01-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Can't say that I have. But NAPA is a good source. But Fel-Pro is very good quality. You are going to want to also get an intake manifold gasket, exhaust gasket and valve cover gasket. You may want to get a kit. Here are the NAPA part numbers http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Catalog/NAPA_ECAT/1987/Honda+++++++++++++++++++++++++/Accord++++++++++++++++++++++++/2.0+L+1955+CC+L4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/10/10003/And at NAPA just say you are Auto Club member for 10% discount. And FPG on that page means Fel-Pro gasket.

ACE_14
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I was just wondering because the kits from PepBoys, AutoZone or Napa are all about $100. The ones on Ebay are about $30-$40 shipped.

Bluntman
01-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I was just wondering because the kits from PepBoys, AutoZone or Napa are all about $100. The ones on Ebay are about $30-$40 shipped.

Are they kits with all gaskets? What brand is it?

This is not a job to buy cheap parts ( meaning not good quality).

w261w261
01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
When I was having my clutch done, I told my (ex) mechanic to replace the main engine seal (it wasn't leaking, but the car had about 120k on it so I figured why not as long as it was apart). He used some cheap aftermarket piece, and it started to leak. He had to go back in (drop the tranny) and he used another seal from the same supplier! Put it back together, still leaked. I made him go buy a Honda seal, which worked fine. So he had to drop the tranny twice more than he should have in order to save, what, $4.00?

When the cost of the labor is huge more than the cost of the part, go with known quality on the part. And buying non-branded stuff on eBay is just begging for a hassle. Even branded stuff might be counterfeit

da9
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
you get what you pay for

ecogabriel
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I bought a good deal of stuff from Rockauto.com and no problems so far. You may even choose the brand you prefer when buying from them. All the engine seals I replaced in the Accord came from them; they are either Timkens or NOK (or KOK?)... they are fine.

I used a Felpro head gasket when rebuilding my Civic. I have also used their seals though I suspect are made by other company. Anyway, no problems.

Honda parts are not made directly by Honda but by manufacturers that also produce for the aftermarket; you will not go wrong with Honda but the same can be said from other brands. I got a few Honda-branded parts buying online.

I would not buy stuff whose brand I don't know especially in a critical application like head gaskets, pumps, and timing belts. If it is too cheap you should ask yourself if you are comparing apples with apples.

sam o nela
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
+1 Rockauto has good stuff at good prices...

Seems that on G2 Legends (that are notorious for blowing head gaskets) the consensus is that you can use the Ebay head gasket kit on all but the head gaskets themselves. Get those directly from Honda.

MessyHonda
01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
When I was having my clutch done, I told my (ex) mechanic to replace the main engine seal (it wasn't leaking, but the car had about 120k on it so I figured why not as long as it was apart). He used some cheap aftermarket piece, and it started to leak. He had to go back in (drop the tranny) and he used another seal from the same supplier! Put it back together, still leaked. I made him go buy a Honda seal, which worked fine. So he had to drop the tranny twice more than he should have in order to save, what, $4.00?

When the cost of the labor is huge more than the cost of the part, go with known quality on the part. And buying non-branded stuff on eBay is just begging for a hassle. Even branded stuff might be counterfeit

same thing happen to me....he said he replaced it with a OE replacement...i had to go to honda and buy him a real main seal for 15 bucks and had him drop the trans....and he still had the nerve to ask for 100 bucks.

you get what you pay for
yeah....ibought a egay gasket and it blew after 20k...then we just replaced the engine with a lx-i one we had

Anybody here use a Head Gasket set off Ebay? I'm gonna replace the head gasket on my car, but not sure if the ebay ones are as good as getting one from Autozone or PepBoys.

get a oem honda one dont take shortcuts...because when you have to do it twice its a bitch

DBMaster
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
O'Reilly's is good as well and may be less expensive than NAPA for name brand parts - if you have O'Reilly's in your area.

cygnus x-1
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
The source doesn't matter as long as you get either a genuine Honda or a Fel-pro. I know Autozone has the Fel-pro for pretty cheap.

C|

ACE_14
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
There's a place by my house that sells nothing but japanese parts, so I may go with them. It's about $80 for the whole head gasket set.

88Accord-DX
01-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Dude, don't mess around with some local Japanese parts house or ebay!!!

You have two choices here, either a FEL-PRO or OEM headgasket. It's that simple or you will find out the hard way. Also, you need to buy a Honda OEM O-RING for the oil oriface that sits between the head & block. You can save a new intake gasket purchase, if can pull the intake still attatched to the head........Much easier & less headache to pull the head off that way.