PDA

View Full Version : 86 lxi stopped running on me

diehardbroncosfan
01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
i have a 86 lxi i was driving it a few weeks ago the damn thing died on me and wont start i did all the checks and got some node lights and my injectors are not signaling they have current but no completion of the signal (ground?) got a new ecu and its not the problem so what can cause this to happen i did have a loose alternator wire that was arching when this happend i did fix the wire but it still wont start........ what sensors does the car need to complete the injector signal?

Civic Accord Honda
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
resistor box fried maybe?

its the metal hostess twinke shaped thing

ShyBoyCA6
01-07-2010, 07:37 PM
hmm sounds like the fuel pump to me check the main relay and fuel pump alternator fuse

Bluntman
01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
i have a 86 lxi i was driving it a few weeks ago the damn thing died on me and wont start i did all the checks and got some node lights and my injectors are not signaling they have current but no completion of the signal (ground?) got a new ecu and its not the problem so what can cause this to happen i did have a loose alternator wire that was arching when this happend i did fix the wire but it still wont start........ what sensors does the car need to complete the injector signal?

Did you check the 10 amp. injector fuse in the main fuse box?

nswst8
01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Good call Bluntman.

Civic Accord Honda
01-08-2010, 12:25 AM
did you check the transmision oeil?

diehardbroncosfan
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
as far as i know these are the things ive checked fuse's , resistor , wiring to injectors ecu seems good cause i got a new one and replaced it........still nuthing i think its the crank angle sensor since the node lights for the injector still dont light up i think its not geting the signal to start the process how do i check the crank angle sensor? or is there a way?

Oldblueaccord
01-21-2010, 04:23 AM
theres a ground wire under a bolt on the manifold effects the injectors firing.

wp

Demon1024
01-22-2010, 03:36 AM
i just had a similar problem with mine earlier this week. Look in the service manual under Fuel and emissions for the tests for the injectors. Mine turned out to be the wire from the resistor to the main relay

Jared
01-25-2010, 12:09 AM
You say it died and won't start. Does it try to kick over and just doesn't fire? Is it a manual 5 speed or automatic? If it's a manual, try to compression start it and see if it will idle or stay running with some pressure on the pedal. If it idles or stays running it's likely a sensor or electrical issue.

diehardbroncosfan
01-31-2010, 06:26 PM
still not running it cranks but wont fire and the node light says the injectors are not pulsing.........the wire from the resistor to the main relay how do i check that? i took my distributer off and it has the crank sensor in it right? there is a lot of residue red or brown in the distributor.. but i guess i need to get deeper into the wiring

diehardbroncosfan
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
compression start? it is a stick i tried to push start tried to jump start nuthin .. if i put a little gas or starter fluid in the.. intake it will fire for a second then die .... any input will be helpfull

Oldblueaccord
02-04-2010, 07:27 AM
If you don't have fuel push starting it won't work. If you don't have enough voltage to make your fuel pump come on it won't work either.

I would start back at looking at the Main relay that controls the fuel pump and the spark. It can be jumped out to be tested or resoldered or replaced. It is very very common to fail on these cars with our age on them.

wp

diehardbroncosfan
02-07-2010, 02:48 PM
i jumped the car yesterday and for some reason it decided to run ...it ran for a few mins when i took the cables off then died . tried to jump it again and it didnt start so i took my battery down to get it fully charged and im gonna try again tonite . i did notice that when the car died and it didnt want to start again that the efi and the oil presure light stayed on in the car . then i hunted it down by pulling fuses and replacing them til i got to the alternator fuse wich is causing the problem of the lights staying on i think its got a wiring demon. i also think that the residue in my distributer tells me that i need to replace the cap and clean the residue out becuase it chould be causing a spark problem or cam sensor or sothing

diehardbroncosfan
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
ok so it runs now only when it wants to then it will shut off wont start for a day or so then starts again thing is pissin me off the distributer got some residue in it tho i think ima replace it

89T
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
where are you?

diehardbroncosfan
02-22-2010, 07:00 PM
in so cal....... so i replace the alternator and shit car ran good for a few days then started doin the same thing....when i take off the negative cable and put a test light between the clamp and the negative batt post it lights up so looking for a short and under my passenger side some of the wires that feed the heater are melted beyond recignition ... so trieng to trace the wires back since there is no fuse for the whole heater system that i know off that i can pull i need to remove the wires but it seems damn neer impossible to do because the harness goes up under the dash i think it comes from the driver side along the cab side of the firewall and i dont know how to get better access do i have to pull out the heater assembly and everything or is it dash and everything too... im gonna ivestigate further in the morning i guess