PDA

View Full Version : Balljoint/Lower Arm

89lx-r
01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Well im taking the motor out of my 89 lx and in the How-to about removing engine and transmission(the quick way), and not having to remove the suspension/damaging axel boots it say to remove the bolt from the lower ball joint, and i did. But how do you pop it off, seperating the lower arm from the balljoint?

-DWM-
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
smack the side of the control arm where the joint goes in with a hammer, or use a 2-jaw puller.

-DWM-
01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
The how-to also says that "quick way" is for experienced mechanics, so you should probably do it the slow way where you take the front suspension apart and pull the axles out. I only assume you're inexperienced because you don't know how to separate ball joints, so sorry if I offend.

smufguy
01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
The fastest way is to loosen the lower ball-joint star nut, but not remove it, place a hydraulic jack under the the star-nut and preload the upright. Get a hammer, and hit it square on the Lower control arm (where the lower balljoint drops in) and out pops your upright with your brake and axle attached to it.

NOTE: The reason you leave the start nut on the ball joint is to prevent the balljoint threads from being damaged by the hammer.

-DWM-
01-13-2010, 03:55 AM
yes, and to catch it incase it separates violently. I forgot that part, I fail.

89lx-r
02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Nah not at all, its just that i broke 2 breakerr bars, and my 3/4 rachet trying to get the hub nut off

The how-to also says that "quick way" is for experienced mechanics, so you should probably do it the slow way where you take the front suspension apart and pull the axles out. I only assume you're inexperienced because you don't know how to separate ball joints, so sorry if I offend.