PDA

View Full Version : I hit the brakes and the horn honks!

thooper41
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I was driving today went to hit the brakes and the horn started honking with it. Now my brake lights don't work and the horn honks every time I try to stop. Anyone have an idea what could have cause this? I know the brake lights and horn share a fuse so I pulled it and now have no horn or brake light but keeps the horn from honking from the brake pedal...

1988 accord LXI 5-speed

charliekuney
01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea, but this is fucking hilarious! Have you tried replacing the fuse? Unplug your horn from behind the steering wheel and see if that does anything.

dacantu
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Did you try replacing the fuse for a new one?

If you did check wiring on the brake pedals, and at the horn. Remove your steering wheel with a 19mm socket. Theres a connector behind it for the horn. Just check to make sure everything is plugged in right.

Have you messed with wiring lately?

89lx-r
01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Ha, if you hit the horn will your brake lights come on? haha

charliekuney
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Remove your steering wheel with a 19mm socket.

I'm 99.9% sure it's a 17mm. I've changed mine pretty recently.

Civic Accord Honda
01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
im pretty sure its a 19 but i dont remember lol

but i am almost 100% sure its a ground problem

itzdave
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
haha, same thing happened to Turabaka at the Portland meet. i nearly rear-ended him at this left turn stop light, i didnt know if he was gunna go for it or stop. but i didnt see brake lights so i kept goin too! but his car did indeed slow down and i skidded in the crazy rain... when me car finally stopped at the light, i put it in 'park' and hopped out to see how close i was to hitting him. was only about 3 INCHES AWAY!!!!

anyways, lol...
we just pulled over and unhooked the horns... brake lights still worked.

itzdave
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
and the steering wheel bolt size is the same as our lug nuts(at least the stock lugs that were on both of mine) if i remember correctly...

dacantu
01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm 99.9% sure it's a 17mm. I've changed mine pretty recently.

im 100% sure its a 19. I just put my wheel back on today after dropping the steering column

dacantu
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
and the steering wheel bolt size is the same as our lug nuts(at least the stock lugs that were on both of mine) if i remember correctly...

yup 19mm lol

charliekuney
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Mine is a 17 whether it wants to be or not!

dacantu
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Mine is a 17 whether it wants to be or not!

lol

Bass Man
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Do you drive a little blue car?? :rofl:

(Big Fat Liar...)

A18A
01-13-2010, 01:00 AM
i dunno what the problem you have is exactly, but faulty grounds have made my car do some pretty weird shit in the past, like the car starting up when you turn the headlights on & stalling when you turn high beams on lol

Bluntman
01-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Well you could reach up by the brake pedal and push the brake light button, and see if the horn honks with just the button and not the movement of the pedal. If it does not honk just by pushing the button only, that means it is honking because the movement of the brake pedal assembly movement may be rubbing on a worn wire under the dash possibly. That is just a guess.

stat1K
01-13-2010, 07:04 AM
i don't think the wires for the horn run near the brake pedal, i would say it has to do with the movement too. the horn wires should run through the steering wheel then to the left and into the fender well. does it do it when the car is sitting still?

i read the description again and i would say something is shorting as you said they do share a fuse, so i would replace the brake light switch or test the continuity of teh wires. my guess after reading that is that a wire is grounding and causing the 12v to go to the horn instead of the brake lights? sounds crazy lol...

thooper41
01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I wont be able to look at it till this weekend because classes are taking up pretty much all of my time. I am almost positive it is from the brake light switch because the horn would honk as soon as I touched the pedal, which is when the lights normally turned on. Pulling the horn/brake light fuse has temporally solved the problem, other than having no brake lights or horn. I haven't touched any wiring since summer so I don't know what caused this but it seems like a car problem you would only see in a movie.

thooper41
01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
i don't think the wires for the horn run near the brake pedal, i would say it has to do with the movement too. the horn wires should run through the steering wheel then to the left and into the fender well. does it do it when the car is sitting still?

i read the description again and i would say something is shorting as you said they do share a fuse, so i would replace the brake light switch or test the continuity of teh wires. my guess after reading that is that a wire is grounding and causing the 12v to go to the horn instead of the brake lights? sounds crazy lol...

Does it 100% of the time, car on, car off, only way I can get it to not do it is pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery.

89nooby
01-14-2010, 06:47 PM
i agree i think its a short cause i replaced my sterio and i forgot to plug in the antena and everytime i steped on the clutch it grounded this wire and blew my fule pump switch it was a fun drive home with no clutch :beer:

-DWM-
01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Does your car have an alarm installed?

thooper41
01-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Sorry I have taken so long to get back, classes have been taking up all my time. The car does have an alarm. I installed it over the summer but I only hooked up the keyless entry and remote start, nothing it hooked up to the horn.

But if the problems couldn't get any weirder I got woken up today by my neighbor today saying my headlights keep flipping up and down. I went outside to look and just as he said the headlights were constantly going up and down. I pushed the button that should keep the headlights up and didn't do anything, I turned on the headlights and that just turned them on as they kept moving. I would make a new thread but my guess is the problems might be related?

87AccordLXsdn
01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Did you happen to name your car? Maybe, say, Christine? Ha. Other than that, wish I could help ya with your problem. Unlike anything I've heard of before.

A18A
01-24-2010, 01:47 PM
^LOL i was also just thinking of christine when i read that. man your car sounds fun!

thooper41
01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
I had to disconnect the headlight motors so that they would stop going up and down. Here is a quick video of what it was doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyBTqbh1VA

lostforawhile
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I had to disconnect the headlight motors so that they would stop going up and down. Here is a quick video of what it was doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyBTqbh1VAyou have a ground off under that dash, the headlight control module is in the same general area as the brake light switch and the other affected items,

Demon1024
01-25-2010, 03:06 AM
If you find out what does this PLEASE let me know. I want my car to do this when i sell it to my brother lol :)

Dat88Monstar
01-25-2010, 03:25 AM
if you find out what does this please let me know. I want my car to do this when i sell it to my brother lol :)

lmafo