PDA

View Full Version : 87 2 door hatchback accord tranny noises plz help!

storm
10-06-2002, 01:15 AM
i have an 87 automatic 2 door accord and when i swtich gear form like parking to a dive gear it makes a noise and the car jerks and when i shift it back to part it makes a grinding noise to it. is that bad? whats wrong do i need a new tranny? if i floor it will my tranny go out? i cant afford a new tranny plz help

dXsquared
10-06-2002, 09:35 AM
what does the idle read when you shift? too high rpms will jerk you around some.
Travis

Mantis88LX
10-06-2002, 10:00 AM
mine makes those sounds too, i think its normal it just the cable moving the lever on the trans and it makes that sound,

ohh yea and if u drop into gear while its idling high it does it too but louder.

i dont think its anything to worry about, just the way our auto trans are

njpeter
10-06-2002, 11:39 AM
I just found out something I didn't know about accord auto trannies, you can start it in second by putting the levver to "2" ( how obvious) the not so obvious was that you can pretty much keep the tranny out of first, which buys me some time on swinging a new tranny into my wife's accord. Some chick noise is normal from reverse to drive, but always be at a complete stop before shitfing from r to D.

Check the oil of course ( drainign maybe better, tkaes 3 quarts even..check the pan for metal...my sick accord shows a fine metallic like dust in t he oil...the tranny is dying and I can't fix it with snake oil. but I can drive it light a semi-sauto, keeping it out of first may prolong the life by a couple of thousand miles ( maybe).

in the meantime..looking for a tranny