PDA

View Full Version : VSS and power Steering problem

Basem
01-13-2010, 11:01 AM
hello everyone. got an 88 lxi hatch FI with about 85000 miles on it. the other day was driving normal going 55 mph when the speedo stopped working and my check engine light came on. i looked around for the thread on diagnosing the light and i found that its the Vehicle speed sensor. my power steering/ steering wheel started being extremely light to a bad extent. could anyone help out with this? PS i think DR Snooz was asking someone else if they had the same problem as me but they didn't so he never explained it. thanks

lostforawhile
01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
hello everyone. got an 88 lxi hatch FI with about 85000 miles on it. the other day was driving normal going 55 mph when the speedo stopped working and my check engine light came on. i looked around for the thread on diagnosing the light and i found that its the Vehicle speed sensor. my power steering/ steering wheel started being extremely light to a bad extent. could anyone help out with this? PS i think DR Snooz was asking someone else if they had the same problem as me but they didn't so he never explained it. thanks
the steering wheel became light? that has to be something having to do with the speed sensor in the transmission, the speedometer itself is driven by a cable, and the speed sensor for the computer is in the speedometer head. the amount of power steering assist is controlled by a mechanical valve in the top of the transmission, the speedo cable plugs into the top of this assembly, my guess is somehow you broke the driven gear for the sender assembly, this would account for having full power steering at speed and the speedo not working.

Dr_Snooz
01-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Uh oh. Calling me out on unfinished business. That's bad news right there. ;)

I'm inclined to agree with Lost. It sounds like the VSS in the top of the trans. The cable might have broken or simply dislodged from the unit. Give it a look over and see if it's obvious. If not, the manual is here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php)and the troubleshooting section starts on p. 12-38.

Let us know what you turn up so I don't end up looking bad again.

Basem
01-13-2010, 07:32 PM
thanks guys and for DR Snooz lol. i wasnt trying to call u out lo it's just u were diagnosing someone else's problem and asked him if the power steering was light but he said no so u then went with his direction of the problem assuming it was heavy. sorry again but i'll check the assembly tomorrow. one more thing, where would the driven gear for the sender assembly be? behind the speedo or on the assembly ontop of the transmission? thanks guys

lostforawhile
01-14-2010, 05:42 AM
thanks guys and for DR Snooz lol. i wasnt trying to call u out lo it's just u were diagnosing someone else's problem and asked him if the power steering was light but he said no so u then went with his direction of the problem assuming it was heavy. sorry again but i'll check the assembly tomorrow. one more thing, where would the driven gear for the sender assembly be? behind the speedo or on the assembly ontop of the transmission? thanks guys it's driven by the transmission directly, there is a mechanical speed sensor bolted on top of the tranny, this sensor controls the amount of power assist for the steering, it's a govenor, the same gear that drives this has a square notch cut into the top of it, this drives the speedometer cable, this cable slides into the top of the mechanical sensor, and is secured with a clip, I'm thinking this entire driven gear has failed, due to both the power steering failing and the speedo failing. they both operate off of it, if you take this sender out, be VERY CAREFUL it's easy to unbolt, but the driven gear can fall into the transmission. Oh and I think Snooze was just cutting up with you.:D

Dr_Snooz
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I'm just messing around. Let us know what you learn.