PDA

View Full Version : front main seal is bad. i think

89nooby
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
should i try and replace it or should i swap the engine??? i have a 89 lxi hatch with efi.. i wanna keep it cali leagll so i would have to keep the same engine

Dr_Snooz
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I might be missing the point of your question, but why would you pay $1200 for an engine when you can pay $10 for a seal?

Civic Accord Honda
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I might be missing the point of your question, but why would you pay $1200 for an engine when you can pay $10 for a seal?

+1 im confused

just replace the seal (do timing belt , tensioner , water pump , cam seal while your at it)

stat1K
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
swap it for sure.

ShyBoyCA6
01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
engine is like 600 or 300 depending on usage but no more than 800

stat1K
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
no, he asked if he should swap it. see the d-series thread for valuable information.

itzdave
01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
this is your best friend if you need to replace it...

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

Civic Accord Honda
01-14-2010, 07:41 PM
he said he would have to keep the same engine lol so an a20 for another a20 makes no since

itzdave
01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
yup, nobody said anything about goin d-series...

89nooby
01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
lol thanks everyone i just dont know what im getting my self into i have all the tools i just dont wanna mess anything up i think im just going to replace the seal any tips would be nice lol

Bluntman
01-15-2010, 06:29 AM
lol thanks everyone i just dont know what im getting my self into i have all the tools i just dont wanna mess anything up i think im just going to replace the seal any tips would be nice lol

Where you at in Cal.?

stat1K
01-15-2010, 06:48 AM
yup, nobody said anything about goin d-series...

weird could have sworn i did?

stat1K
01-15-2010, 06:51 AM

find a piece of pvc pipe the same diameter as the seal, you can get the seal online at hondapartsnow.com for cheap, or a dealer may even ahve one in stock. you take the seal press it into the groove evenly by slowly tapping on the the pipe with a hammer.

is it the front you said? that one's easy but i would say if the car has higher miles you should just replace the oil pump while you're at it... that's a bigger job though.

89nooby
01-15-2010, 09:54 AM
i live in oakland hayward area im about four hours from you if i remember correctly lol

89nooby
01-15-2010, 10:49 AM
i live in the oakland hayward area

Bluntman
01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
i live in oakland hayward area im about four hours from you if i remember correctly lol

If you were local I could have helped you out. Well you will get it.:cheers:

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2010, 11:21 AM
If you're doing the front main, you should do timing belt while you're at it. If you get another engine, it will probably just have the same leak anyways.

Importordomestic
01-15-2010, 11:43 AM
swap it for sure.

LOL i enjoy your posts

MessyHonda
01-16-2010, 07:03 PM
yeah just buy the seals...take out the manual...take a day to do everything

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2010, 11:13 PM
find a piece of pvc pipe the same diameter as the seal, you can get the seal online at hondapartsnow.com for cheap, or a dealer may even ahve one in stock. you take the seal press it into the groove evenly by slowly tapping on the the pipe with a hammer.

Just dig out the old seal, flip it over and set it over the new seal. It works better than anything I've ever tried.

The front main seal is part of a routine timing belt service (because it sits behind the timing belt). If you're new to fixing cars, the timing belt really isn't the repair you want to start with. It's a lot of work and a lot more difficult than something like changing oil. I'd say have an experienced mechanic with you if that's an option. You'll want to replace the front main seal, the cam seal, the oil pump seals, the timing belt and probably the water pump while you're in there. If you take the car to the dealer and ask for a timing belt service, they'll do everything I've just mentioned, but you'll pay for it real good.

lostforawhile
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
if you go to the dealer better buy some of this, you'll need it, and plan on walking funny for a week. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j9oDqG2zBGE/STSOwAjvq5I/AAAAAAAACZY/Rr6nXQ6gSRA/s400/prep+h.jpg

Hauntd ca3
01-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Just dig out the old seal, flip it over and set it over the new seal. It works better than anything I've ever tried.

The front main seal is part of a routine timing belt service (because it sits behind the timing belt). If you're new to fixing cars, the timing belt really isn't the repair you want to start with. It's a lot of work and a lot more difficult than something like changing oil. I'd say have an experienced mechanic with you if that's an option. You'll want to replace the front main seal, the cam seal, the oil pump seals, the timing belt and probably the water pump while you're in there. If you take the car to the dealer and ask for a timing belt service, they'll do everything I've just mentioned, but you'll pay for it real good.

umm yeah! the stealerships will screw you for all that.
i put my CD6 in to the dealer for a cam belt a while back and they ended up doing the cam and balance shaft belts ,tensioners for both, idlers for both, cam and crank seals and a water pump.
they'll tell you say $300 for just a cam belt and then do everything else aswell/
all that shit cost me a grand

stat1K
01-17-2010, 10:04 AM
yeah i'd rather them do that then just the timing belt and send you on your way only to have a water pump go bad in a month... i believe in doing things right... if you're not willing to do it yourself then be ready to spend money.

89nooby
01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
yeah i know i am either going to do it in my auto classs or if im lazy i guess immma say buy buy paycheack lol:dunno:

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
umm yeah! the stealerships will screw you for all that.
i put my CD6 in to the dealer for a cam belt a while back and they ended up doing the cam and balance shaft belts ,tensioners for both, idlers for both, cam and crank seals and a water pump.
they'll tell you say $300 for just a cam belt and then do everything else aswell/
all that shit cost me a grand

There's a reason it costs so much. It's a heck of a lot of labor and not something a brand new mechanic should be taking on.

yeah i know i am either going to do it in my auto classs or if im lazy i guess immma say buy buy paycheack lol:dunno:

Uh, you are in an auto shop class and you're considering getting raped at the dealer?

Hauntd ca3
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
i should have done it myself as i am 3/4 through my mechanics apprenticeship , but i didnt have the time .
lesson learned me thinks.
if you have a proper workshop manual and decent selection of tools, there isnt much that you need to go to a shop for if you have confidence

stat1K
01-19-2010, 09:02 AM
^ truth, i used to be afraid of tasks like this but once you do it a few times it becomes old hat.