PDA

View Full Version : Getting Wheels and Tires for free, Need to know if they will work.

HostileJava
10-06-2002, 05:55 AM
Well my uncle bought a late 90's Cabrio and wanted to put the stock wheels back on, the guy had konig wheels on it. He says he'll give my the wheels and the brand new tires that are on them. I need to know if they will rub though. I put them on and the bold pattern is the same and it doesn't look like the outer fender will rub, but the inner might. What info do you need to know to tell me? The reading I got off my tires are P185/70 R1385zs and the readings I got off his tires were 205/45zr16 87w. Would the wheels have a model number on them that I could use to look up the info on them?

Jims 86LXI HB
10-06-2002, 06:52 AM
VW's usually use 35mm offset's. which is NOT what you want to run. But since these are aftermarket rims you still have hope. Take the rims and look closely on the outside and inside for any info on them. Look for something where the rims says it's size and width. Then look for anyother info, especially offset. It might be listed like this 35JJ or of course 35 or 35mm, or whatever offset number they really are. Of course look for a model number, konig used names for it's rim models. If they are 35mm, they will rub in the rear when you corner hard, lower the car or carry a heavy load.

Tell me what you find out and we can go from their.
BTW, the 205/45/16 tire size if spot on perfect, as long as the offset doesn't go to low.

HostileJava
10-06-2002, 08:59 AM
Well there was nothing written on the inside of the rims but on the outside it said 16x7JJ and either 690 or 890KG I can't tell, which I'm assuming is the weight. Is there anyplace I could go to look at pictures of them to see if I can find the specs? The wheels are probably a couple years old.

-edit for spelling.

dXsquared
10-06-2002, 09:01 AM
heres what to do. take all the air out of the tire. place a 2 by 4 over the inside lip of the wheel. take a metric ruler and measure from the mounting surface of the wheel to the edge of the lip. use the 2 by 4 to get a line to the middle to measure off of.
that is ur offset!
Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
10-06-2002, 09:02 AM
http://www.konigwheels.com/

give that a shot

If you had a pic of them, you might be able to email them and ask them to tell you what model they are and the offset's they were sold with when offered, that is if you can't find any info on the site.

HostileJava
10-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Here's a pic of it if anybody recognizes it let me know. If not I'll have to get in touch with Konig.

http://link.freepichosting.com/image.cgi/7796/0.jpg?x=600&y=400

I couldn't seem to find these on there site.

HostileJava
10-07-2002, 07:53 PM
I took one of the wheels to a Wheel and Hubcap store to buy locking lugs and they said the offest was 42mm so I shoud be alright. Thanx for all your help.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Well you really did all the work, glad you found out what they are 42mm is great.:super:

HostileJava
10-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but you guys tried to help, which is important to me. Effort is definetly worth somthing (at least a thanks, right?).

HostileJava
10-08-2002, 08:11 AM
O, I almost forgot to ask. These guys at the wheel store said they can redo the wheels for about $30 a wheel, since there is scraping all along the very edge of the wheel. Is that worth it or will it end up looking worse later because it doesn't have the factory finish? I did see some they had redone and they looked brand new almost, but I'm not sure how long that would last.

dXsquared
10-12-2002, 08:30 PM
if u have the 30 bucks per wheels than do it.
Travis

if u didnt pay for the wheels and u only need 120 bucks for new looking wheels, i would do it!