PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord 1897

blackjersey
01-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Hello guys. I am new here and completely noob about cars - and my newly acquired Honda Accord 1987. This is my first car in the U.S. - my first car ever. Been living here in the US for a year now - I am originally from the Philippines.

Anyway, I was referred by someone from yahoo groups go here(3geez.com) for help on my car. I bought car for $900. Pictures are to follow. I have test drive it several times around the apartment vicinity and it pretty runs ok to me. I am currently in Jacksonville Florida and I was wondering where I could bring my car an upgrade/repair everything like the engine, body, new body paint, door (locks) and power windows, etc... I wanna do this gradually like step by step so that when I save up money I can go to the next level.

I need some advise on what to do first with the car like should I upgrade the engine first? I have seen some pictures here with all that body kits and the works and wow I am really loving my car now and what I can do with it.

Thank you for your time!

nfs480
01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I came to this thread hoping to read about an 1897 Honda Accord, i'm kind of disappointed. LOL

dacantu
01-16-2010, 11:29 PM
first, have a moderator rename your thread to 1978 or 1987 (whichever it is)

Then I would recommend a tune up. Replace spark plugs, spark plug cables, distributor, coil, oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid. just so that it is all brand new clean fluids. Then once you have done that, work on your suspension. after that is done you will have been on here enough times to know what kind of modifications you want to do to your motor.

blackjersey
01-17-2010, 07:29 PM
My bad! It is 1987 Honda Accord LXi. Sorry for that!

Thank you for the recommendations. I will definitely do that. By the way, I saw some good looking 1988-1989 Altezza tail lights. Would they fit on to the 1987.

dacantu
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
link to taillights? so i can tell you if they will fit.

blackjersey
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
dacantu, my bad. the altezza that I saw for Honda CRX. Are there any euro tail lights that will fit 1987 Honda Accords? Also, I am still looking for a good compatible engine for this car. Willing to shell out 20-30k for the car this whole year.

Pico
01-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the forum.
You should have the mod's move your thread Here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37) since you posted in the 2geez section.
20-30k is a lot to shell out on this old a car. Are you sure your about that?

dacantu
01-17-2010, 09:22 PM
dacantu, my bad. the altezza that I saw for Honda CRX. Are there any euro tail lights that will fit 1987 Honda Accords? Also, I am still looking for a good compatible engine for this car. Willing to shell out 20-30k for the car this whole year.

No there arent any euro tail lights available for and accords before 1989. and wow 20-30k? im just curious can you get me a job wherever you work? =)

Welcome to the forum.
20-30k is a lot to shell out on this old a car. Are you sure your about that?

X2!

blackjersey
01-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Lol. I work for Microsoft (Network Operations) and consultant for T-Systems (T-Mobile Network)

Anyway, if there are new set of OEM headlights/tail lights, I would definitely get it. Do you know where to get them online? It's really hard to find autosport shops here in Jacksonville. I'm sure Miami has many but I don't have time to go there.

Yes I am serious about the digits for I know I will pass this on to my brother probably in 2 years until he gets his driver's permit.

Do you guys know any compatible engines for this model? I have seen some Vtec engines but again I am noob about this and not really sure but I have seen one 2G accord with that engine.

My colleague just told me to get a better second hand car or better yet a brand new one. He is right. I will surely get one but this accord and after what I saw with what others did, I fell in love with this car. Besides, for me there's nothing like an old school manual transmission car!

2ndGenGuy
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Welcome. I went ahead and move your thread to the n00b section. ;)

blackjersey
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks!

I found a tail light but it says 88-89 Accord.

blackjersey
01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
here is the link for the tail light. I am not sure if this fits the 87 model.

link:

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1986_1989_accord/lights/tail_lights/sherman/sher00220615.html

Civic Accord Honda
01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
you can get b-series mounts and put a b18, b16, b20 crv engine in it... id go with a b20 crv block and b16 head :P

also there are no altezzas for the 3gee and none that will fit...

Civic Accord Honda
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
here is the link for the tail light. I am not sure if this fits the 87 model.

link:

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1986_1989_accord/lights/tail_lights/sherman/sher00220615.html

those are stock replacement tails and yes there fit but 88-89 look a little different and wont match the trunk ones.... and ether that image is wrong or the year is wrong because it is showing 8687 tails but listing them as 88-89

ghettogeddy
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
im still not happy i want to see a 1897 accord

blackjersey
01-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Good stuff! Can you point me where to go for b-series mounts for the 87 accord? I assume the b20 CRV engine and the b16 head I can just go to my local Honda dealer and ask about it?

dacantu
01-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Good stuff! Can you point me where to go for b-series mounts for the 87 accord? I assume the b20 CRV engine and the b16 head I can just go to my local Honda dealer and ask about it?

go here for the b-series swap mounts.
http://www.innovativemounts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=18950

and yes you can go to a dealer and ask about the engine specs but you can easily find the information online. youre gonna want to find a cr-v motor from a engine yard/junk yard. and you can probably find a JDM B16 head on your local craigslist. then youre going to need a obd jumper harness and custom axles made. as well as a b series transmission.

blackjersey
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
dacantu, great help, man!

i am saving the links. i called a guy in cali today and they got a rebuild engine for 87 accord for $1200 includes shipping and he told me accessories like the cables are also included. but i am still going for your suggestion.

does the cr-v motor has to be in a specific year range or it doesn't matter as long as it is B20?

sorry for the very noob question. i am trying to learn as well!

dacantu
01-19-2010, 07:18 AM
dont worry it osnt noob at all.

I literally just found out all of this information myself. it will fit any B20Z or B20B. so the years shouldnt matter. use wikipedia to find out what cr-v those came in.

and dont buy a rebuilt motor for this car for that much. you can get one out of a junkyard and rebuilt it yourself for a fraction of that price.

I as well will be purchasing the B series swap mounts from innovative. im hoping to have my car finished by the summer. we will see if that happens though.

blackjersey
01-19-2010, 08:56 PM
dacantu, you have been a great help! i spent the day roaming around jacksonville and fortunately i found a shop that does everything except body paint.

im not going for the rebuilt engines anymore and im still sticking to the b20 engine and b16 head.

how about suspensions? i found a konig brand and they look good but for the over all suspension for the car, do i need only this one:

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1986_1989_accord/suspension/coilovers/coilover_sleeves/ground_control/

it says there its a coilover sleeves. again im not sure if i can just replace the stock ones in the car just like that with this coilover sleeves.

i am taking things one step at a time. i got my license today, insurance and tomorrow the tags. also, tomorrow will be tune up, oil change and the ones you suggested earlier in the thread.

i found an 87 accord with a nice setup that i may follow bt not the engine build:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/324959

tell me what you think.

Thanks again!

87AccordLXsdn
02-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Before you order anything from andysautosport, I'd suggest trying to find it on any other site first. I bought clear corners for a friend from there and 3 years later I got a check for $3 and some change saying that they got taken to court and were forced to pay back peoples money. Went from $30 to 3 because of the "restocking fee". Good luck with the build man. Im curious to see just how much can be done with 30k!

blackjersey
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I found a B20B B20Z CRV for $849!!!