PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filling cooling system

AccordB20A
01-17-2010, 02:01 AM
random title i know but my mates having issue with his prelude, Its a gold top b20a, the same rebuilt one i had in my car, when i had it, it was okay until one day it deiced it would pump all the engine oil into the radiator, i just thought it was the head gasket again as the one on the motor was re used cause the clown that built the engine put it on upside down and fucked it.

my mate got it back pulled the old fucked head gasket off and installed a brand new one and he goes to stick it in his lude and it does it again, So the problem is definately not the head gasket where else could oil be getting into the water.
head and block are not warped

nswst8
01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Was the block fhushed? You might need to power flush the cooling system to get the oil cleared out of it.

2oodoor
01-17-2010, 02:00 PM
My B20 has an oil cooler which is a seperate cast piece between the block and the oil filter, coolant flow thru that thing and I guess if it was cracked somehow it could mix.

lostforawhile
01-17-2010, 02:02 PM
My B20 has an oil cooler which is a seperate cast piece between the block and the oil filter, coolant flow thru that thing and I guess if it was cracked somehow it could mix.
yep, pull the cooler off and pressure check it.

AccordB20A
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
was thinking it was the oil cooler too, ive told him to swap it with the mint one from his other motor

AccordB20A
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
and by filling the cooling system i mean the oil level goes down really fast so the pumps pumping in into the water somehow

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Ugh, I'd hate to do a HG just to find out it's not the HG. That sucks.

lostforawhile
01-18-2010, 08:16 AM
and by filling the cooling system i mean the oil level goes down really fast so the pumps pumping in into the water somehow
sounds like that oil cooler, the oil pump would be putting out a lot more pressure then the cooling system so it's forcing the oil into it. if thats it, he also needs to flush both his oil system and cooling system.

A20A1
01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
What if the head/block has a crack?

lostforawhile
01-18-2010, 03:09 PM

possibly, swap out the cooler first since you have one, then use a cooling system pressure checker to see if it holds pressure, if it doesn't, you might even be able to hear where the pressure is escaping.

2oodoor
01-18-2010, 03:10 PM

:bong:say what>???
that is defying gravity if it goes so fast as you describe, but oil does float on water so now Im thinking cracked block too.
Can that oil cooler just be removed, or does it serve as oil filter base adapter as well(?)

lostforawhile
01-18-2010, 03:16 PM
:bong:say what>???
that is defying gravity if it goes so fast as you describe, but oil does float on water so now Im thinking cracked block too.
Can that oil cooler just be removed, or does it serve as oil filter base adapter as well(?)

the oil in the cooler is under full pump pressure, it's being forced into the cooling system if thats where the crack is, gravity has nothing to do with it

Civic Accord Honda
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM

thats what i was thinking, but he should most certainly try another oil cooler first.

2oodoor
01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
the oil in the cooler is under full pump pressure, it's being forced into the cooling system if thats where the crack is, gravity has nothing to do with it

true, i was thinking with the motor not running

lostforawhile
01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
thats what i was thinking, but he should most certainly try another oil cooler first.
swapping in another cooler and then using a cooling system pressure tester will tell right away if it's fixed

A18A
01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
or just bypass it (Y)

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2010, 07:38 PM

I'd thought of that too, but ruled it out when the OP mentioned there is no warpage. Can you have crackage without warpage?

AccordB20A
01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
very true alltho the block and head are rebuilt . ill see what happens swapping the oil cooler