PDA

View Full Version : seat belt chime and warning light wont turn off

kkirkup
01-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I just bought a 1988 Accord lxi. The drivers seat belt warning light on the dash and overhead panel keeps flashing and the chime ringing when I drive. I unplugged the wire under the drivers seat that goes to the seatbelt and it still does the same thing. The door ajar switch seems to be working because the open door indicator warning light does go off when door is shut. Any ideas? Its driving me nuts...

Bluntman
01-17-2010, 11:19 AM
You can drop the plastic cover below the steering column and unplug the chime for now. It is on the cover on the inside.

Civic Accord Honda
01-17-2010, 01:28 PM
unplug the wire to the overhead panel , that should shut it up, they like to do that constantly

lostforawhile
01-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I just bought a 1988 Accord lxi. The drivers seat belt warning light on the dash and overhead panel keeps flashing and the chime ringing when I drive. I unplugged the wire under the drivers seat that goes to the seatbelt and it still does the same thing. The door ajar switch seems to be working because the open door indicator warning light does go off when door is shut. Any ideas? Its driving me nuts...there's a chime control unit, one behind the the center console, it controls other stuff to, so you can't really unplug it. I think there is another control unit under the seat on the ones with the overhead console.

ghettogeddy
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
ya mine does the same thing if i open my door after starting or start my car with the door open it will not stop lol

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
All that nuisance warning light crap and me usually have a Come-To-Jesus meeting real quick after I take possession of a car. I unplugged the lights above the rearview and that pretty much fixed everything if I remember correctly.

Does it change at all if you wiggle the seat belt clip in the receptacle? It might just need a shot of contact cleaner in there.

Civic Accord Honda
01-17-2010, 05:23 PM
yep the little speaker is in that rear view light thingy i had to remove the one on our sei and on my civic lol

charliekuney
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
My LX-i made that noise and I don't recall a speaker being there.

lostforawhile
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
My LX-i made that noise and I don't recall a speaker being there.

it's a little piezoelectric transducer on the PC board in there, the one that has the bulbs for the overhead warning in it. I used one of those overhead console things to hold my XM radio unit overhead.

ghettogeddy
01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
All that nuisance warning light crap and me usually have a Come-To-Jesus meeting real quick after I take possession of a car. I unplugged the lights above the rearview and that pretty much fixed everything if I remember correctly.

Does it change at all if you wiggle the seat belt clip in the receptacle? It might just need a shot of contact cleaner in there.

alot of my issue is the seatbelt belts the self are broken i have to get them replaced i knwo i had some ordered at the honda dealer ship but them the reg was up before they got them so i nver had a chance to go get them
they should still be there when i get it up again

mikeharriswho
01-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Anyway to actually fix it instead of shutting it up. Call me weird but I actually like the chimes and warnings. On my LXi, the passenger seat belt chime will sound when the passenger door is opened and will continue even though the seat belt is buckled

5 Speed Speeder
01-10-2016, 04:07 PM
dont know if anybody said this, but the way to turn that stuff off is to unplug the connector underneath the passenger seat. it turns of the chimes and the no seatbelt light.

MessyHonda
01-10-2016, 04:42 PM
if you unplug the connector it also powers the turn signal and emergency lights. i dont know why honda put it on the same electrical line. i would visually check if the seatbelt buckle is hooked up. I have removed my seat couple times to install a new computer and i forgot to plug it back in.

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Unless you like tracing wires, cleaning cruddy wire connectors and searching for obscure electronic modules that no longer exist, it's better to unplug and jumper things at the point of the problem.

Fenris
01-21-2016, 01:14 PM
This started happening in my 89. It's the switch connected to the door latch inside the door. Best option, if you can even get to it, is to unplug the switch and jump the plug.

Just unplugging the chime leaves the seat belt retractor locks inactive, so if you get in a wreck, they won't do anything to save your ass.

bullard123
01-27-2016, 08:09 PM
I'm having the same problem too. I unplugged the connectors inside of my door because I thought it was killing my battery. I left it unplugged for a while and then the chime didn't turn off. Im gonna try some of the above suggestions to see if it works

Dr_Snooz
02-04-2016, 08:12 PM
if you get in a wreck, they won't do anything to save your ass.

The electric actuators only keep the belts from locking when you have the doors open, loading passengers, etc. In a crash, the belts operate mechanically.

bullard123
02-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Finally got around to fixing mine yesterday. It was super easy. Took about 3 minutes total. Remove the cover from your rearview mirror, remove the 3 bolts holding the rearview mirror in place. Take the rearview mirror off. Look up and remove the remaining 2 bolts you see. Chime unit comes out. Last disconnect the blue connector from the chime init. Boom you're done. Now im looking for a used chime unit to see if my chime unit just was bad

Fenris
03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
The electric actuators only keep the belts from locking when you have the doors open, loading passengers, etc. In a crash, the belts operate mechanically.

When the door close switches don't make contact, the locks on the retractors won't engage in the event of an accident.

The test is to accelerate, then hit the brakes hard while pulling on the belt. With the door ajar alarm active, the locks won't engage in the retractors. With the alarm inactive, the locks engage under hard braking.

The system is quite similar to that of my 91 civic, except that has the dreaded automatic shoulder belts. The retractors locked the same way, though.

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2016, 09:24 AM
The system is quite similar to that of my 91 civic

No. It's not. Page 25-35 of the '89 USDM Honda manual describes the operation of the seat belt system. The electric connectors power solenoids in the retractors to prevent the seat belts from locking when the doors are open. When the door is closed the solenoids are supposed to disengage allowing the belts to lock in the event of an accident. At this age, the solenoids are all crapping out and creating parasitic battery drains. Aside from leaving you with a dead battery each morning, the faulty solenoids could prevent the seat belts from locking in an accident.

The system is designed with numerous warning lights to tell you when this overly-complicated, federally-mandated system malfunctions. The lights are telling you that something is wrong and your life is in danger. You can delve into the intricacies of the system using the diagnostic chart on p. 25-35 and try to fix it properly, or you can simply unplug the retractors, lights and various other sensors and allow the mechanical system to function without electrical intrusion. No sane engineer designs a seatbelt system that requires electric power to save lives unless he wants to lose the world's biggest class action lawsuit.

A functional test of the locking mechanism is described on p. 21-60 if you need it.