PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission slipping

zildjian102
01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I have a 1988 lx carb. Occasionally the transmission will slip in 1st gear and slip into 3rd gear. This problem is only occasionally though.. so I talked to a couple people and they told me to get a transmission flush because the fluid does not look or smell how it should? I was wondering if its a good idea to get the flush..

2oodoor
01-17-2010, 10:07 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885How To...
(http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885)
It is good to check the tv cable to as maintenance along with fluid changes.

LewZur
01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I've always been told to use Honda ATF to keep the tranny running great, everyone that I have talked to that's used something else always have tranny problems. Just what I've been told, I have a manual so IDK.

cubert
01-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I've always been told to use Honda ATF to keep the tranny running great, everyone that I have talked to that's used something else always have tranny problems. Just what I've been told, I have a manual so IDK.

Ive heard the same thing.

2oodoor
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
yeah it is, why, does that link say different?
I think the manual says use Dex II (dexron 2) regular auto tranny fluid but I would not use it, not without an additive or synthetic stabilizer.

cubert
01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
yeah it is, why, does that link say different?
I think the manual says use Dex II (dexron 2) regular auto tranny fluid but I would not use it, not without an additive or synthetic stabilizer.

Nope, the link says that the first change he used valvoline fluid, and noticed no change. The second time he used Honda, and it shifted much better.

Just figured the Honda fluid part should be stressed :thumbup:

2oodoor
01-17-2010, 11:11 AM
:
it shifted much better.////

Just figured the Honda fluid part should be stressed :thumbup:

yes I concur, and it is a source of confusion when the factory manual said Dexron . I wonder if I need to go check, geez what does the dipstick say?

Honda ATF is best, though it is not Dexron or Dexron /Mercon ATF either. It is unto it's own subtype that has said to be a synthetic blend type ATF.
This subtype is much more stablil, anti-foaming, with friction stabilizers for smoother torque converter clutching and "de-clutching".

I used Mighty auto parts Vs7 additive, you could probably use any friction modifer (synthetic) recommeded for making dexron/mercon stabil if used where Dodge, Honda, or Fords require special fluid like Hondamatic or Mercon V (five):cool:

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd just like to point out that now would be a good time to start saving for a new transmission...

Hauntd ca3
01-17-2010, 09:28 PM
an alternative to honda atf is castrol tq95.
thats what my local trans place recommended to me.
is apparently the same as honda atf as castrol are meant to make the honda lubricants

2oodoor
01-18-2010, 05:27 AM
I'd just like to point out that now would be a good time to start saving for a new transmission...

duel E, noted, true once the i-tranny starts to i-slip as in actually pulling in a gear for some distance but only half ass, she's an i-goner very soon:rockon:

ecogabriel
01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
How many miles on the car/transmission? Maybe it is time to start sourcing for a new one (or get a 5-speed swap!!!)

User manual says Dexron (mine says that) or Dexron II because those were the ATF fluids of the day. Even the filler cap has "Dexron" "Mercon" stamped on it. Dexron II was superseded by Dexron III. Dexron III should work fine.
The only question would be whether Dexron III is as good as it used to be, since other formulations are of actual use nowadays.

As for Honda ATF, many on this forum have used it and are very happy.

zildjian102
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I got the flush today and its actually shifting smoother and it dosent slip in 1st gear anymore. It only slips a little into 3rd but besides that its alot better!

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I got the flush today and its actually shifting smoother and it dosent slip in 1st gear anymore. It only slips a little into 3rd but besides that its alot better!

Glad you got it working better. Don't get so excited that you stop looking for a new tranny though.

VIPER1988
01-18-2010, 07:35 PM
mine started doing the same thing a few months ago. i switched to royal purple atf and it went away completely. expensive though. $13 a quart

zildjian102
01-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Well i need to make this car last till next year around this time because after that I'm going into the Coast Guard, so hopefully it will last me till then lol. I'd like to keep the car though because once i get money i want to make this car cool lol

2oodoor
01-19-2010, 06:18 AM
don't overlook checking the TV cable operation and adjustment. The cable goes from the accelerator pedal (some are at the throttle shaft up top though) and goes to the lever on the side of the transmission.
This cable "tells" the transmission what position the gas pedal is in and affects shift quality and shift points drastically. Also affect the life of the tranny.

zildjian102
01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Yea.. i was reading a post about adjusting the TV cable. I wouldnt trust myself to make any adjustments like that on my car LOL so i'll have to get somebody to do it for me

2oodoor
01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
just spray it down good with some wd 40 and make sure it is not hanging up or anything, also make sure the cable housing in the engine compartment is not damaged, burnt or bound up.