PDA

View Full Version : 89 dies and wont start

Demon1024
01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Ok guys i've been looking for 3 days now and cant figure this out.
Driving home from work the car dies and wont start again. I get it towed to my house and change the dizzy,main relay,coil. Nothing different. Turns over great but wont start.
Next day after work i try to start it when i get home thinking "why not try"
It starts and runs.....for 10 seconds then dies. Wont start again.
I change the fuel pump and filter. Try a different ignition switch,change the injector resistor. It sprays gas the the fuel line and gets consistent regular spark

I may have forgotten a couple things i checked but any ideas?

stephensimmons
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
If you have good spark a fuel try spraying gas into the intake an try to start it if that works your injectors arent spraying. if it still dosent start then do a compression test to make sure you have atleast 110psi or better if its higher make sure all the cylinders are close to the same an if that checks out then check your timming belt it could have jumped a tooth or two.

Demon1024
01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
K theres two lol
I spray if with starter fluid it'll run
timing marks are dead on still
How do i check to make sure the injectors are working if it doesnt run?
Or what runs the injectors that i have'nt tried?

stephensimmons
01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
First check your fuel pressue to make sure you have around 42psi or better and if you do then unplug youe connectors in your wire harness an check for bad connections if they are all good look under ur front drivers seat or behind the kick panel on the passenger an find the dianostic lite on your ecu an get you a repair manual an it will tell you how to go about retrieving the codes an even tell you if your ecu is bad if you read it right.

AccordB20A
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
eyah definately check the LED in the ecu under ur seat. another thing you can try is plug in a spare dizzy and turn it over by hand with the ignition on. you should hear the injectors clicking and the fuel pump should come on

Demon1024
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
No Cel and i've changed the dizzy already.
Gonna look into the Tw sensor and injectors now. Finally not raining here :)

Demon1024
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Got it ty

Short in yellow/black wire from main relay to injector resistor. Only took 4 days to find lol

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Jeez, I'm impressed. Nice work sir!

stephensimmons
01-19-2010, 12:33 AM
you are very welcome sir!

Demon1024
01-20-2010, 04:51 AM
that manual is a life saver for finding shorts omg
i wish i would have checked the fuel at the cylinders. I would have probably saved alot of time and work

stephensimmons
01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I no a good bit about cars in general but i have learned to purchase a repair manual for times like yours and now i always get a manual for every thing i own becaues i have had my share of guessing trial an error an spending alot of money i didnt have to on the simple things. Im so glad that you found it though!

Demon1024
01-22-2010, 03:30 AM
check this out man. good stuff
from technical section here
downloadable service manual

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25137

Demon1024
05-15-2015, 12:27 AM
I never thanked you properly THANK YOU! ou got me in the right direction here

Demon1024
05-15-2015, 12:28 AM
if you have good spark a fuel try spraying gas into the intake an try to start it if that works your injectors arent spraying. If it still dosent start then do a compression test to make sure you have atleast 110psi or better if its higher make sure all the cylinders are close to the same an if that checks out then check your timming belt it could have jumped a tooth or two.

tyvm :)