PDA

View Full Version : Silicone vacuum hoses

Nio
01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Are they worth it. I'm going to replace all of the hoses in the car since they are pretty old. I used blue silicone hoses on my corolla, but I noticed a few lines would collapse when the engine bay got hot enouogh.

I was wondering if all of them are like that, or if there are different grades of the stuff. or should I just stick with classic rubber?

>.> would like to use something with color myself. :D

carotman
01-19-2010, 05:51 AM
What would this guy say?

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/m1x00233_9.jpg

Do it right.

Nio
01-19-2010, 05:58 AM
What would this guy say?

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/m1x00233_9.jpg

Do it right.

rofl..

A. I don't know that guy.

B. If I knew what was right I wouldn't be asking.

Thanks for a bit of a laugh though. :D

A20A1
01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Collapsing is based on how thick the wall is and how long the hose is, but I guess in your case the heat made the material soft...

Stick with THICK WALLS and make each tube as short as possible, but avoid kinks since that can also lead to collapsing.

I would say stick with rubber if you're having trouble with silicone

charliekuney
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Stick with THICK WALLS and make each tube as short as possible, but avoid kinks since that can also lead to collapsing.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I have almost all new hoses in my car, and all but one is from Honda (Renton Honda was closed that day...). The one I got from the lil' local parts store has been on for a month and it's already kinked and creasing. Its walls aren't nearly as think as the OEM Honda hoses. Plus, it's a few inches too long.

greentee76
01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Make sure you buy actual vacuum hose. It is different than a regular hose and is designed to not colapse.

Civic Accord Honda
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
The cheap silicone hoses at vatozone is junk... Theres a couple good grade silicone hoses online however... i used to have the links but lost them in last format and i dont remember the names of the company's

Nio
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Make sure you buy actual vacuum hose. It is different than a regular hose and is designed to not colapse.

Yea the stuff I used last time was vacuum hose, but it would collapse. I think I'll order online this time instead of trusting Autzone, advance, or any local store.

ShyBoyCA6
01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Yea the stuff I used last time was vacuum hose, but it would collapse. I think I'll order online this time instead of trusting Autzone, advance, or any local store.
but wouldnt it be the same thing?? if you want i can find you something that you might want to buy..

Nio
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
but wouldnt it be the same thing?? if you want i can find you something that you might want to buy..

It might be it might not. I have a feeling the stuff I bought from autozone last time was just crap. *talking about my ae92*

So I'll hunt around online. But I just don't want plain black. I want some more red in the engine bay.

ShyBoyCA6
01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silicone-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-88-89-90-91-Honda-Prelude_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5882ae3905QQite mZ380149577989QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5f Accessories#ht_1296wt_1165

i found this since they dont have none for the accord on this site but prelude and accord look kinda the same so i guess hose sizes shouldnt change from this year and they look good to last

Nio
01-19-2010, 07:36 PM
That looks good.

Thanks. :D

DBMaster
01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
After 21 years my original vacuum hoses are still in very good shape. I only had to replace the ones related to the PCV valve as those became very hard. How much better can you get?

Nio
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
After 21 years my original vacuum hoses are still in very good shape. I only had to replace the ones related to the PCV valve as those became very hard. How much better can you get?

Well considering my car sat for 8 years not moving and I have found all sorts of things from spiders in my timing belt, To what seems to be a clogged muffler.

So really, I would rather spend the money and replace it with something new, then keep something that is 20 years old...

lostforawhile
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
there's nothing wrong with the factory hoses,they are also numbered. putting bright colored hoses on the engine always ends up looking like rice. you could do what i did and go all AN stuff. :wave: if you want to change the look and make it still look nice try this, looks OEM http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/2881/category_id/90/search_year/1986/search_model/32

Civic Accord Honda
01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
it can look rice, it can look good , all depending on how its done... if you go with all red hose, and have red wire warp over everything with a red valve cover and intake it looks ricey but if you have a little bit of color it looks nice :) just got to know when your going overboard !

Nio
01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
it can look rice, it can look good , all depending on how its done... if you go with all red hose, and have red wire warp over everything with a red valve cover and intake it looks ricey but if you have a little bit of color it looks nice :) just got to know when your going overboard !

Actually what I had in mind was keeping all of my liquid base hoses black. *coolant, fuel, ect.*, and changing some of my vacuum hoses to black and red, *cause most are gray or a dirty looking brown, *already tried cleaning them*..

Then I was going to do the spark plugs in a red down the road, the fuse box in red, the intake manifold in black, the valve cover in red, and then the camgear in a white mate...

I don't think it will look rice, I just want to to look nice...

so really about 80% of the engine bay will be in black, then some red, and the white camgear.

So really it won't be "bright" :P

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Actually what I had in mind was keeping all of my liquid base hoses black. *coolant, fuel, ect.*, and changing some of my vacuum hoses to black and red, *cause most are gray or a dirty looking brown, *already tried cleaning them*..

Try some Pledge.

Nio
01-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Try some Pledge.

I've tried several different things, Including that simple green stuff...

:D ROFL I just don't get why you guys want me to keep the originals, I'm not planning on keeping this car stock...and I want it to look nice. and like I said before most of the stuff will be replaced with black hose anyways. :P if its about saving me money, thanks..but I'm not that cheap. lol

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/SSPX0050.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/SSPX0201.jpg

I'll give it a few more goes, but I don't think liquid base cleaners are going to go much farther anyways. since most of the hoses *especially larger ones* have cracks in them.

lostforawhile
01-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I just hate those bright colored silicone hoses, normally when you see them at the yard, the car has a big wing, multi colored dash pieces and a bunch of apc stuff , they just don't look right.

Nio
01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
I just hate those bright colored silicone hoses, normally when you see them at the yard, the car has a big wing, multi colored dash pieces and a bunch of apc stuff , they just don't look right.

I don't want BRIGHT.

I just want Red, like the color of most spark plug wires. And that's it, Red,black, and white.

:P don't see how that's going to come out rice.

Civic Accord Honda
01-20-2010, 11:29 PM
if you go with red wires go with msd, i still think that ngk wires are the best bang for your buck but there blue lol
im going with yellow accel wires because i have a black and yellow theme going on :)

lostforawhile
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
if you go with red wires go with msd, i still think that ngk wires are the best bang for your buck but there blue lol
im going with yellow accel wires because i have a black and yellow theme going on :)

make sure you have a crimping tool if you build your own wires or you will get bad connections

Civic Accord Honda
01-20-2010, 11:38 PM
make sure you have a crimping tool if you build your own wires or you will get bad connections

i do have a crimping tool but the ones im getting are premade ^_^, good price too only $22

A20A1
01-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I always got the ACCEL V8 set and cut two sets of wires to fit.

Nio
01-21-2010, 01:26 AM

Now that's a way to save money. :D

MessyHonda
01-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Now that's a way to save money. :D

that is what we did with 2nd gen guy and i got a some nice looking wires
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/102_0794.jpg

lostforawhile
01-23-2010, 01:32 AM
thats what i did http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4020810.jpg

Nio
01-23-2010, 03:07 AM
thats what i did http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4020810.jpg

sleeve steel mesh looks good.

Civic Accord Honda
01-23-2010, 03:56 AM
yeah but on the f22 we have those long tubes with the weird boot on them lol

lostforawhile
01-23-2010, 04:10 AM
yeah but on the f22 we have those long tubes with the weird boot on them lolthey have plug boots like that too, you can get the universal sets with different style ends.

MessyHonda
01-23-2010, 11:27 AM

yeah im running a f22 dizzy

Dr_Snooz
01-24-2010, 09:01 PM

The nice boot that fuses to the plug and then tears the wire apart when you try to remove it? I remember that from my 4g. Whose brilliant design was that one?

Civic Accord Honda
01-24-2010, 09:11 PM
The nice boot that fuses to the plug and then tears the wire apart when you try to remove it? I remember that from my 4g. Whose brilliant design was that one?

lol its the best design for spark to have the plug in the middle of the head and lets you have more valves :)
but yes that happened to my legend LOL, but if you keep them up to date they dont rip :) , i need to replace mine still, i got civic ones on it which are to short and look ghey all stretched out LOL