PDA

View Full Version : stock header back exhaust system interchangability?

luvestoospooge
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
i have an 89 lxi sedan auto and taking it to the body shop today i ripped the flex pipe between the headers and cat, was wondering if any carbed or efi header back exhaust would work? i was planning on junkyard hunting for a newer looking exhaust.

my concerns...

will it pass emissions, like are the cats different, and if it will bolt up and fit, thanks guys, i appreciate every one on this forum, your what keeps both my 3geez running!

luvestoospooge
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
oh and by the way, just to clearify, im not looking for preformance, just everything to be stock as possible and work, its just my moms daily driver lol

greentee76
01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
The flexpipe is part of that front pipe off of the exhaust manifold. To replace that downpipe you need to get one from an 88-89 lxi. The exhaust was updated in 88 to a 4-2-1 type setup on the lxi's. The carbed type is 4-1 style and will not work without changing the exhaust manifold, which you would not want to do as the carbed manifold is more restirictive and only includes provisions for one O2 sensor as opposed to the two O2 sensors on your lxi.

luvestoospooge
01-20-2010, 06:12 AM
okay, thanks for the help! gonna go hunting for one todady :gun:

import racer
01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I would think the prelude would be similar.

Demon1024
01-22-2010, 03:49 AM
I thought after the exhaust mani they where the same?
could of sworn i've mixed mine up enough that I'd have noticed them not fitting together. maybe i got lucky? lol