PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem?

Juggalo88Accord
01-20-2010, 07:07 PM
So my 3gee has another problem. I thought it might have been fuel filters so i replaced them today runs better but wasnt tha problem. It stops accelerating even with tha pedal to tha floor it wont go past 3500. Mostly does this up big hills or around sharp turns so i thought it might be a lack of fuel getting threw but after replacing tha fuel filters i went out to test it an it started doing it on a straight away. It gets kinda shaky and wont accelerate for a minute then it goes back to normal like nothings wrong. Im out of ideas im thinking maybe cap and rotor cuz it feels like its missfireing (spark plugs and wires are new) but i really dont have tha money to play tha guessing game. I need your oppinion on what it might be if i have to replace a bunch of stuff until i finally find tha problem o well it might just take awhile. Thanx for tha help

stephensimmons
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Do you have the LX or LXI?

charliekuney
01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
<--------

Description.

Importordomestic
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
You are probably right on the fuel delivery issue, I will spit out my 3 opinions that it might possibly be.

1. fuel pump is pumping fuel, but over time the pump vanes get worn out and no longer supplies the right amount of volume. once the supplied volume is consumed the fuel pressure will die off. This most likely from your description is not the case.

2. check your timing, not the ignition timing but the cam timing. I had a b18a1 skip one tooth (10degrees retarted) on the timing belt. the car will accelerate hard until 3500rpm then just fall on it's face......

3. check you distributor bushings, a worn distributor will muck up the ignition timing as you described.

I hope that this leads you to the problem or atleast helps yo ustumble on to the real problem. Once you do find the problem please update us as all your troubleshooting helps us as a community not work so hard next time.

Juggalo88Accord
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
You are probably right on the fuel delivery issue, I will spit out my 3 opinions that it might possibly be.

1. fuel pump is pumping fuel, but over time the pump vanes get worn out and no longer supplies the right amount of volume. once the supplied volume is consumed the fuel pressure will die off. This most likely from your description is not the case.

2. check your timing, not the ignition timing but the cam timing. I had a b18a1 skip one tooth (10degrees retarted) on the timing belt. the car will accelerate hard until 3500rpm then just fall on it's face......

3. check you distributor bushings, a worn distributor will muck up the ignition timing as you described.

I hope that this leads you to the problem or atleast helps yo ustumble on to the real problem. Once you do find the problem please update us as all your troubleshooting helps us as a community not work so hard next time.

Thanx for your info. As far as checking tha cam timing i have no idea how to do that. I do have a timing light though so if you could let me know ill give it a shot. Today im gonna check tha distributor, vaccum lines, cap an rotor, compression test and just tear her apart to look for anything out of place. I really hope its not tha fuel pump im very tight on money i had to borrow tha 15$ for tha fuel filters from my girl.

Stephensimmons: I have a 88 lx

stephensimmons
01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
sounds like you got a little trash in your carb. try taking the air breather off the carb start your car and while holding the accelorator part throttle with one hand (no more than 2500 rpm at the most!) take your other hand and close your choke but dont let the engine cut off an if you cant get the choke to close or you bont no what that is then take a shop rag and ball it up in your hand and put it over the carb ventry and hold it for a second and remove it before the engine dies do this bout 3 or 4 times an see if that works.

w261w261
01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I wonder if the cat could be plugged up? With the engine running, get down on the floor next to the catalytic converter and see if you can hear any jingling sounds (the ceramic breaking up). I'd tell you to take the cat off and see if that helps but it's probably in there pretty good - penetrating oil for a couple of days and an air wrench for that top bolt.

Juggalo88Accord
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Ok thanx ill check tha carb and Cat in tha morning. I ran out of daylight and its starting to rain so ima call it a day. Tha distributor bushing, cap and rotor all seem good other than a little wear but no cracks or anything. I checked tha Pcv filter and noticed it was black and so dirty i could ring it out like a sponge ( going to replace in next few days). But took it round tha block without it an it just idle stronger still had tha problem. Right before me and my brother came inside we noticed a hissing sound from tha back of tha motor so tomarrow we are going to check for vaccum leaks i probably knocked one off while cleaning tha engine i dont know if a vaccum leak would cause this but im hoping its sompthing that simple. Let me know what you guys think about that an thanx for your info and giving me stuff to look into.

Juggalo88Accord
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
So i popped off tha air cleaner to get a better look at tha carb and vac lines and noticed there was a vaccuum line with a good sized hole in it. I replaced it along with a few others because i had some spare line, took it around tha block and tha problem is still there. I can tell tha car is running so much smoother but this damn problem wont go away. Im taking a lunch break right now and im about to go back out there an check tha cat and clean out tha carb just wanted to keep you guys updated

Sh4d0w
01-22-2010, 11:45 PM
and its starting to rain so ima call it a day.

ROFL seattle = rain

Altho I kinda miss it sometimes. Then it rains here, and I remember why I moved from seattle to Denver - 300 days of sun a year.. so preaty much any day its raining in seattle, its sunny there.

Hope you get it sorted, there's been alot of good advice in this thread

Juggalo88Accord
01-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Yes i know its always raining in seattle i really need a garage or car port to work under. So i checked tha cat it seems to be fine no noises or smells. Cleaned tha carb and still tha problem remains. It even seems to have gotten worse tried leaving my block today and barely made it out of tha driveway. It wont rev over 2000 and wen i try and take off it dies. I guess im going to have to go to pull-a-part and get a fuel pump. Hopefully this will be tha cure. Thanx for all your info its much apriciated. Ill keep you updated

stephensimmons
01-23-2010, 05:16 AM
what store did the spark plug wires come from or what brand are they?

stephensimmons
01-23-2010, 06:05 AM
also get you an electric fuel pump and a gallon or 2 gallon gas jug and SECURELY mount the gas jug under the hood of your car then take the fuel pump an hook it to the fuel line going to the carb then take a peice of hose an hook it to the other end of the fuel pump an put the other end of the hose in the gas jug (with gas in it of course) and try that and see what happens.

w261w261
01-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes i know its always raining in seattle i really need a garage or car port to work under. So i checked tha cat it seems to be fine no noises or smells. Cleaned tha carb and still tha problem remains. It even seems to have gotten worse tried leaving my block today and barely made it out of tha driveway. It wont rev over 2000 and wen i try and take off it dies. I guess im going to have to go to pull-a-part and get a fuel pump. Hopefully this will be tha cure. Thanx for all your info its much apriciated. Ill keep you updated

If all else fails, your cat could still be plugged. You'd have to remove it and see if the problem goes away. A little noisy of course.

Sh4d0w
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
So my 3gee has another problem. I thought it might have been fuel filters so i replaced them today runs better but wasnt tha problem. It stops accelerating even with tha pedal to tha floor it wont go past 3500. Mostly does this up big hills or around sharp turns so i thought it might be a lack of fuel getting threw but after replacing tha fuel filters i went out to test it an it started doing it on a straight away. It gets kinda shaky and wont accelerate for a minute then it goes back to normal like nothings wrong. Im out of ideas im thinking maybe cap and rotor cuz it feels like its missfireing (spark plugs and wires are new) but i really dont have tha money to play tha guessing game. I need your oppinion on what it might be if i have to replace a bunch of stuff until i finally find tha problem o well it might just take awhile. Thanx for tha help

This preaty much mirrors my situation except that before I replaced the filters I seafoamed the entire system. The shop I go to said my distributor is worn, and will need replacing soon. Cap & Rotor will be replaced next weekend, after payday.

" It gets kinda shaky and wont accelerate for a minute then it goes back to normal like nothings wrong "

This happens from stopsigns and lights alot for me.

I'm going to replace the distributor as mine is indeed worn. I'll do the cap and rotor at the same time. All my wires are new 8mm Accel, and I'll be putting in the new coil, regapping the plugs, replacing if needed, and doing some updating on the grounds.

griffonks
01-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't think it's a great idea to mount a gas can in the engine bay- it would make more sense to check the fuel pressure after the last filter. Sometimes Autostoned will loan out pressure gauges....

I think it sounds like the dizzy. Mine is starting to leak oil so I have a new spare in the trunk bought on a closeout from rockauto.com. Also have the gaskets, cap and rotor ready and waiting.

Good luck and I hope WA dries out a little so you can finish.

Tomisimo
01-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I had the same problem this summer. open your service lid in the trunk, and unbolt your fuel pump, take it out and look inside the tank. See whats there, I bet you have rust and water clogging your system.

Juggalo88Accord
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
what store did the spark plug wires come from or what brand are they?
Ngk plugs and wires orderd from sparkplugs.com

I don't think it's a great idea to mount a gas can in the engine bay- it would make more sense to check the fuel pressure after the last filter.Good luck and I hope WA dries out a little so you can finish.

Agreed no redneck gas tank for me. Thanx for your info.
Its a bit rainy outside right now but i have my mechanic on his way to take a look. He will be bringing his fuel pressure tester and help me do tha things that i cant. Ill post back with an update wen were done

Juggalo88Accord
01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Tha cat is all good ran tha car around tha block open header still had tha problem. Gunna fuel pressure test it in a few hours

Juggalo88Accord
01-23-2010, 11:27 PM
So were done for tha day didnt test tha fuel pressure (couldnt find tha tester) we did notice tha fuel stream into tha carb was choppy so were going to look into that tomarrow morning ill post back

Sh4d0w
01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
How'd it go?

Juggalo88Accord
01-25-2010, 12:52 PM
How'd it go?

Sorry bout that. Wasnt home long yesterday i went to get my tattoo filled in after working on tha car. So we checked tha fuel pressure an its good it stayed tha same even when tha car was acting up. There is a break in tha fuel stream into tha carb so were pretty damn sure tha problem is sompthing within tha carb my mechanic tore it open but couldnt find anything wrong other than it being a honda carberatur. Im to broke for a rebuild so my only option is to go to tha pull-a-part and pick one up for 11.50 wich hopefully works and doesnt need a rebuild itself. So i wont have that put in till sometime this weekend. Ill let you know what happens

And if anyone can think of anything that would cause a breakup in tha fuel stream in tha carb it would be helpful If i can save a little money fixing this one that would be great.

Juggalo88Accord
01-29-2010, 02:36 AM
Tomarrow morning me and my brother are going to pull-a-part Hopefully to get a carb off a lx with low miles. Ill post up tomarrow wen we get home and let you know how that worked out. If all goes good this weekend tha car will be back up and running.

O and i just read my last post and it sounds like im an asshole paying for ink when tha cars not running properly. My homie does it and its all free. Just to clarify

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 06:35 AM
This preaty much mirrors my situation except that before I replaced the filters I seafoamed the entire system. The shop I go to said my distributor is worn, and will need replacing soon. Cap & Rotor will be replaced next weekend, after payday.

" It gets kinda shaky and wont accelerate for a minute then it goes back to normal like nothings wrong "

This happens from stopsigns and lights alot for me.

I'm going to replace the distributor as mine is indeed worn. I'll do the cap and rotor at the same time. All my wires are new 8mm Accel, and I'll be putting in the new coil, regapping the plugs, replacing if needed, and doing some updating on the grounds.

I'd recommend you try a Lazy Man's Rebuild (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66468&highlight=lazy+man%27s) before replacing the dizzie. It only takes a few minutes. You'll learn a lot and it's free.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
O and i just read my last post and it sounds like im an asshole paying for ink when tha cars not running properly. My homie does it and its all free. Just to clarify

I wouldn't tell you what you can and can't buy, but I always wonder what you'll do when you decide you don't like tats anymore. Are you covered in them? Can you at least put on collared shirt and hide them all long enough to pass an interview? I'd say that's important. We all experiment in youth, but don't do things you can't undo later when you decide that a home and family are more important than being cool.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...

Juggalo88Accord
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't tell you what you can and can't buy, but I always wonder what you'll do when you decide you don't like tats anymore. Are you covered in them? Can you at least put on collared shirt and hide them all long enough to pass an interview? I'd say that's important. We all experiment in youth, but don't do things you can't undo later when you decide that a home and family are more important than being cool.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...

I hear what your saying. Im not that covered ive got most of my right arm done if i wear a long sleve shirt it will hide everything. As far as not wanting tats anymore ill just stop getting them i have yet to get anything ill reget later on down tha road.

Im going to take a shower then head to tha pull-a-part ill post back later

lostforawhile
01-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I hear what your saying. Im not that covered ive got most of my right arm done if i wear a long sleve shirt it will hide everything. As far as not wanting tats anymore ill just stop getting them i have yet to get anything ill reget later on down tha road.

Im going to take a shower then head to tha pull-a-part ill post back later

It could be worse, you could have those Clark Kent glasses tattooed on your face like the idiot on youtube had done, http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhWg0zqo1RxiXpcxEU

Juggalo88Accord
01-29-2010, 07:51 PM
It could be worse, you could have those Clark Kent glasses tattooed on your face like the idiot on youtube had done, http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhWg0zqo1RxiXpcxEU

Wow. No face tats for me. I do plan on having bolth arms legs and my back completly filled and probably a bit on my neck way down tha road. Im going to truck driving school Next year sometime and tha instructors there told me i can be covered and it wont affect me.

Got a carb from pull-a-part and man was that more challenging than i imagined. 277k miles on tha car but when i popped tha hood it looked like 100 at most. Its so nice to see a functioning choke, on my current carb it isnt connected. Looks to be in good condition got a can of carb cleaner and got it looking brand new. I also went blind for about 15 minutes from getting carb cleaner in my eye (dumbass i know) Should have worn safty goggles like tha damn can told me to. Anyway tommarow or sunday my mechanic will be comming by and installing it for 50 bucks cuz i sure as hell aint gunna try to do it. Wow what a day Ill post back when its installed and hopefully let you all know tha problem is gone.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
If I was going to get a tattoo, I'd only get one.

But it would be this one:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/112/l_44402313f42b4a368e9211216758d62a.jpg

http://images.willhawkinsphotography.com/Slayer_11AUG09/730/MF_Slayer_11AUG09_0308.jpg

http://poundedink.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/kerry-king-tattoo.jpg

Okay, I know, that's about 200 tats, but it's pretty sick.

Sh4d0w
01-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I read the entire Lazy Man's Rebuild, and was seriously considering it until I read this:

Technically that's true. It is a ball bearing and not a roller bearing. But it's still a crazy size.

Machining down the shaft occurred to me as well but then you would have to change the bushing as well. And there is a seal between the bearing and bushing that probably wouldn't seal as well on the now smaller shaft. As long as the bearing doesn't have any play in it you can pry the seals off and clean/regrease. But if it's sloppy there isn't anything you can do.

C|

Mine is seriously sloppy. :( being the noob that I am, does this mean that the cheap / easy / lazy way won't cut it? I'm reluctant to really do anything cheap / lazy because I know you get out what you put in. But at the same time, I would really like not having to drop 3 bills on a new dizzy if I don't have to.

Sorry to thread jack...

those are some burly tats!

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I read the entire Lazy Man's Rebuild, and was seriously considering it until I read this:

Mine is seriously sloppy. :( being the noob that I am, does this mean that the cheap / easy / lazy way won't cut it? I'm reluctant to really do anything cheap / lazy because I know you get out what you put in. But at the same time, I would really like not having to drop 3 bills on a new dizzy if I don't have to.

Sorry to thread jack...

those are some burly tats!

It depends on your issue. The lazy rebuild is just lubing up the advance mechanism. It can't hurt to try. If you still have issues, then it might be time to find a scrapper at the yard in better condition. The lazy rebuild is mostly to keep the dizzy from wearing out in the first place. Sounds like you are beyond that. The only alternative to dropping a wad on a rebuilt dizzie that I'm aware of is to do an EDIS conversion. You need to have some skilz to do that though.

Bluntman
01-30-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1166903&parttype=7108&a=FRc1166903k479503

$82.89 Let the page fully load, when the distributor window finally pops up it will say choose. Scroll that little choose window and click wholesale closeout. 4 left. Sounds to good to be true.

w261w261
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1166903&parttype=7108&a=FRc1166903k479503

$82.89 Let the page fully load, when the distributor window finally pops up it will say choose. Scroll that little choose window and click wholesale closeout. 4 left. Sounds to good to be true.

Why would they close out the a/t and not the m/t? Hmmmmphhhh!

Sh4d0w
02-01-2010, 05:59 AM
awesome, ordered it. It should be arriving in 5-6 days :)

Juggalo88Accord
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
PROBLEM FIXED!!!! :birthday::birthday::cheers::cheers:

Tha carb i got from tha pull-a-part was aparently a rebuilt carb that someone never figured out how to adjust. Got it installed tuned and my car is running better than it ever has since i owned it. Im so damn happy right now, wanted to give you all tha update but now i need to go drive tha fuck outa this thing.

itzdave
02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd recommend you try a Lazy Man's Rebuild (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66468&highlight=lazy+man%27s) before replacing the dizzie. It only takes a few minutes. You'll learn a lot and it's free.

linky no work...:D

itzdave
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
damn, my car started acting funny the other night when i was heading out to mykwikcoupes place to get pedals...
car was fine, but under heavy throttle at high RPM i just lost all power, revs dropped, then it was fine again.
but it did it again under the same conditions...
so tomorrow (if i wake up before 2pm lol) im gunna change both fuel filter and see if that helps. i hope its not the carb cuz my weber is really only about a year old.

charliekuney
02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
My car had the same problem...I was out of gas. :D

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
linky no work...:D

Yeah. I was hoping it was just me, but something's squirrely with the site. Joe's working on it, I think.

Use this one instead: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66468

Sorry.

A20A1
02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Problems around sharp corners sounds like a float problem.
Sudden brakes in the engine rpm sometimes has something to do with the float vents on top of the carb getting blocked or not enough fuel in the bowl.
I wonder if the booster venturies were loose in your old carb. The secondary venturi might be the problem if it happens when you floor it.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568

I'm glad you got it fixed though. Keep the old carb and do closer inspections of the float and venturies.

A20A1
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
damn, my car started acting funny the other night when i was heading out to mykwikcoupes place to get pedals...
car was fine, but under heavy throttle at high RPM i just lost all power, revs dropped, then it was fine again.
but it did it again under the same conditions...
so tomorrow (if i wake up before 2pm lol) im gunna change both fuel filter and see if that helps. i hope its not the carb cuz my weber is really only about a year old.

You may want to check to see that the weber float valve is securely screwed into the underside of the top hat.

itzdave
02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
You may want to check to see that the weber float valve is securely screwed into the underside of the top hat.

tis indeed, never been messed with...

didnt have time before work to swap mine, but i should have it done on thurs.

A20A1
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I had mine wiggle free after a few miles and I ran out of gas in the bowl. :D