PDA

View Full Version : Help me prioritize repairs for my 3G!!!!

Edison Carasio
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I need help from you guys on putting my repairs/projects for my 3G in order. Here are some quick phone pics.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/edisoncarasio/accordfrontend.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/edisoncarasio/accordfrontseats.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/edisoncarasio/accordrearend.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/edisoncarasio/accordrustbigspot.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/edisoncarasio/accordrustsmallspot.jpg

Here is the order I plan on doing things in:
Mechanical -
Replace valve cover gasket
Replace brake master cylinder
Replace half shaft
Replace upper control arm
Replace exhaust (everything from header to muffler)

Repair Rust
Replace Front right fender and turn signal
Replace hood and both bumpers
Paint car Honda Tidewater Blue
New wheels (something white or Enkei RPF1)
Put in 3rd gen Prelude seats
Replace carpet with black
replace or paint all plastic black or get it from an SE-i
reupholster rear seats black

Covert to fuel injection (at some point)
Replace cam shaft with Bisimoto regrind
Exhaust set up

ShyBoyCA6
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
edison just sell it and find a fuel injection so you wont spend money oon it and it would be better for you so when you find a fi 3g so you can work on the engine trust me bro or trade it

Edison Carasio
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I got it for almost free, so the skys are the limit here. lol buy a LX-i and keep this one for parts car or auto to manual swap was another option if I can't find a decent LX-i 5 sp.

Oldblueaccord
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I think thats a good list so far.

How long have you been driving it ? I would put some miles under you belt before you put to much into so you can see whats up with the car.

The rust prolly be the hardest to fix thats getting pretty bad. I dont think there patch panels for our cars that what you need back there. I would give your frame areas real good look over as well.

wp

Edison Carasio
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I haven't driven it much before the battery pooped out. It was (bought it for $100 of money I got from a contest at work), so if I do the work myself and mess up, no biggie. I just want to try so much stuff myself, I dunno where to start.

charliekuney
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Replace valve cover gasket
Replace brake master cylinder
Replace half shaft
Replace upper control arm
Replace exhaust (everything from header to muffler)
Repair Rust
Replace Front right fender and turn signal
Replace hood and both bumpers
--------------------------------------------------
Put in 3rd gen Prelude seats
Replace carpet with black
replace or paint all plastic black or get it from an SE-i
reupholster rear seats black
Covert to fuel injection (at some point)
Replace cam shaft with Bisimoto regrind
Exhaust set up

Well, start out with differentiating repairs from modifications.

Oldblueaccord
01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Well i dont know your skill level so I would suggest a small project to get you started.

Maybe a front brake job to start. thats fairly inexpensive to start off with.

Next maybe a full tune up.

The other stuff you mention is really just money itmes like the rims etc.

Do you have a garage to work on the car with and is it your daily driver ?

wp

griffonks
01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Repairing the exhaust is not so bad- you can get bolt on parts from rockauto.com. It will keep your neighbors happy. I also agree that the brake job is important and not too difficult. The master cylinder, like I already explained to you, is a little tricky....

The rust repair is not easy, requires welding and painting....

Maybe it would be best for you to get a fuel injected manual transmission model as already suggested because you will probably be happier in the end.

If you throw all this money and effort into your LX you will never get it back, so make sure that you have the 3g model that you will be happiest with.

Edison Carasio
01-22-2010, 06:11 AM
I have three cars. A 2008 Fit and a 1993 Mustang.

And painting would come VERY last if I went through the trouble of doing all the mechanical work and wanted to keep going, that's when I would start doing the body work. If I get bored, I'll stop after mechanical stuff and sell it. I can use my girlfreind's parents garage for stuff I can't do outside (that's where I change my oil and stuff in bad weather). I have lots of tools and a freind and cousin who are both in school for auto repair for help.

Thanks for input. All is appreciated! So far my short term (this weekend and next, weather permiting) is:

Valve cover gasket
Master cylinder
Battery

Then after that I'll save up to tackle the clutch. Might let a shop do that. We'll see how much success me and my freind have doing his clutch tomorrow. It also helps having a girlfreind whose dad used to own two Corvettes that he did all his own maintenance and body work on, so he has all the top dollar tools (air tools, air compressors, paint guns, expensive torque wrenches etc) collecting dust on a shelf cuz he's in his 50's and too lazy to do all that stuff anymore. lol

gp02a0083
01-22-2010, 06:46 AM
id tackle the rear 1/4 rust first, from experience it usually doesn't look that bad but it gets worse when you keep diggin

id start with the chassis, remove and repair any rust spots then i would worry more about the mechanics

g.frost
01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm one of those 'if it ain't broke...' types, ... but if I was replacing the valve cover gasket (leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold?) I would do a valve lash adjust while it is off. You can get a peak at the timing belt condition while you are in there too. Also, how clean it is in there will tell you how the engine was cared for over the years.

Edison Carasio
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Maybe I shoulda made this a poll on where to start.

g.front - I agree with you. When I'm under the hood I'm gonna try to kill as many birds with one stone as I can.

Edison Carasio
01-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Ok, so I got insurance on the damn thing. Time to drive to the car wash and vacuum it out.

LewZur
01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Ok, so I got insurance on the damn thing. Time to drive to the car wash and vacuum it out.

bout time j/k glad to hear you got insurance finally.

Edison Carasio
01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
bout time j/k glad to hear you got insurance finally.

I wasn't going to pay for it until the state would give me a title and plates. Now I have that and will eventually have to make the trecherous journey to the mechanic without brakes and a bad clutch. lol Hope the e-brake is in good shape . . .