PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Grinds consistenly into 2nd

BoogerBurns
01-21-2010, 08:44 PM
The transmission grinds consistently into second. No other gear. Starts fine, shifts fine. No hard shifts, all except second. Ideas? I don't think its the clutch because no shudder, slipping, or weird stuff.
Also, if the trans needs work, should I invest 1200+ into it?
LX-i hatch 87.

cubert
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
The transmission grinds consistently into second. No other gear. Starts fine, shifts fine. No hard shifts, all except second. Ideas? I don't think its the clutch because no shudder, slipping, or weird stuff.
Also, if the trans needs work, should I invest 1200+ into it?
LX-i hatch 87.

Sounds like bad syncros...how bad is the grind? how long do you plan on keeping the car?

BoogerBurns
01-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Its audible, and I can feel it through the shifter. So I would say pretty bad. And Im not sure now. I wanted to keep it awhile, but it keeps coming up with major maintenance items. And Im not sure if it will be another money pit (I had a Ford F-150 that was).

Civic Accord Honda
01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
should I invest 1200+ into it?
LX-i hatch 87.

this right here all depends on how much money you have already invested in it...

also try some honda MTF before replacing the trans

Oldblueaccord
01-21-2010, 09:28 PM
try double clutching your gears thats about all you can do if you dont want the trans rebuilt.

wp

BoogerBurns
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
this right here all depends on how much money you have already invested in it...

also try some honda MTF before replacing the trans
Honda Manual Transmission Fluid? Its 10w-30/40 you put in there. No different from what you put in the engine.
And I bought it for 700, and Ive put about 300 in it.

Bass Man
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I've heard Honda MTF is miles above 10w30, but it won't help bad syncros. $1200 for tranny work sounds insane!! I was offered a nice rebuilt tranny with 1g teg 1-4 gears and an LSD for $600 and I though that was a lot.

Demon1024
01-22-2010, 03:12 AM
way to much to rebuild a manual imo.
if nothing else can try a j/y tranny, just make sure it spins the splines in all the gears :) and hopefully was wrecked from behind lol

2oodoor
01-22-2010, 05:06 AM
It may be time to adjust the clutch free play, it may not be disenguaging fully even with pedal down because it is out of range adjustment wise.

BoogerBurns
01-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Honestly Im just throwing numbers out there because my last transmission I rebuilt was 1400. F-150 Auto (AOD-Automatic w Over Drive 4 speed).
If the clutch free play was out of range, why would it only grind in second?
And A J/Y trans would be installed around 400-500.

A18A
01-22-2010, 06:00 AM
my car does the same with 2nd & 3rd. from what i've read on this forum, the proper honda mtf stuff really helps with these problems. i would believe it too, i have a gearbox with mtf in it that has probably been in there since the car was built that shifts smoothly & better than my car which just has normal engine oil in it

w261w261
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Learn to double-clutch. You can google it, but here's an explanation I lifted from Wikipedia:
----------------
Double clutching, although time consuming, eases gear selection when an extended delay or variance exists between engine and transmission speeds. When shifting up on a non-synchroniser equipped vehicle, the clutch pedal is pressed, the throttle is released, and the gearbox is shifted into neutral. The clutch pedal is then released. As the engine idles with no load, the RPM will decrease until they are at a level suitable for shifting into the next gear. The driver then depresses the clutch again and shifts into the next gear. The whole manoeuvre can, with practice, take no more than a fraction of a second, and the result is a very smooth gear change.

Bass Man
01-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't think about the clutch adjustment, but that has a big part to do with it. If your clutch is really hard to push, then you probably can't tell it's out of adjustment.

g.frost
01-22-2010, 12:32 PM
If clutch adjust is the problem, it will grind going into reverse, as there is no synchro.
Current SM 10W30 motor oil is not suitable for transmission lube; it doesn't have the same add pack as when Honda spec'd it for our cars. It's worth a try to see if Honda MTF might improve your 2nd synchro, or for the best use Redline MTL.

BoogerBurns
01-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I might try it, but the guy quoted me around 2000 for a rebuild + new clutch and pressure plate.

greentee76
01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I might try it, but the guy quoted me around 2000 for a rebuild + new clutch and pressure plate.

Well don't take it there!!!

MTF will help, it has on mine. Mine grinds into second on downshift only. Didn't do it with the MTF, but has returned now that I have 10w30 in it(I have a leaking driverside output seal so am just running oil until spring when I can replace seal.)

A j/y tranny shouldn't cost more than 150-200 IMO.

BoogerBurns
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Well don't take it there!!!

MTF will help, it has on mine. Mine grinds into second on downshift only. Didn't do it with the MTF, but has returned now that I have 10w30 in it(I have a leaking driverside output seal so am just running oil until spring when I can replace seal.)

A j/y tranny shouldn't cost more than 150-200 IMO.
Yeah, not going there. I had a passenger side seal go bad. So Im with you there.

MessyHonda
01-23-2010, 02:14 AM
yeah after i replaced mine with mtf it helped alot but mine still grinds into 3....i think the guy that rebuild my tranny didnt do it right

OldSkoolA20accord
01-25-2010, 02:21 AM
where are you located? ill sell you the trans that was out of my hatch for $50. no grinds or anything.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-25-2010, 02:22 AM
also i used synchromesh in the ys1 tranny in my hatch. got rid of the 3rd gear grind..

MessyHonda
01-26-2010, 01:01 AM
yeah now i just double clutch and it goes in good...no more grind

g.frost
01-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Redline MTL is the only thing I use in Hondas now:
'86 Civic went 385,000. Car was trashed, never a problem with transmission.
'88 Accord Dx, 151,000. ( what I drive now) works as new, still have 5th gear....
'2005 Civic Lx, 67,000. Bought new, notchy shifting brand new. waited 3,500 miles for break-in and couldn't stand it anymore. Switched to Redline MTL and within 300-400 miles shifting went to butter smooth.

Dr_Snooz
01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
yeah after i replaced mine with mtf it helped alot but mine still grinds into 3....i think the guy that rebuild my tranny didnt do it right

The guy that built mine was a real idiot too.

...Wait. I built my transmission!

MessyHonda
01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
The guy that built mine was a real idiot too.

...Wait. I built my transmission!

i took mine to pros...when i first got it it would not shift to 3rd or 4th...so i took it back and they fixed it but he said that it grinded because my flywheel was so light...haha...yeah right...i have a good tranny that im going to swap into my b18 case and just pawn the streets

Dat88Monstar
02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
so what would be the best to use for gear oil honda mtf or engine oil i am rebuilding my a20 and i am just about done i need to know because i dont want to burn my tranny up..i plan on doing a little racing but its my daily driver so any help with this answer would be nice

Civic Accord Honda
02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
use honda mtf, or GM syncro mesh if it still grinds after that

DEEGO
03-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi all,
I know this is someone else's thread but I have a similar issue except my 3G is a 87 DX auto tranny. Only grinds when I shift from reverse into neutral and sometimes when I shift into park. This only happens when the vehicle is not warmed up. After the vehicle gets warmed up it doesnt grind. Any suggestions?

stephensimmons
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
so what would be the best to use for gear oil honda mtf or engine oil i am rebuilding my a20 and i am just about done i need to know because i dont want to burn my tranny up..i plan on doing a little racing but its my daily driver so any help with this answer would be nice

I would use honda mtf.

stephensimmons
03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi all,
I know this is someone else's thread but I have a similar issue except my 3G is a 87 DX auto tranny. Only grinds when I shift from reverse into neutral and sometimes when I shift into park. This only happens when the vehicle is not warmed up. After the vehicle gets warmed up it doesnt grind. Any suggestions?

Whats you idle RPM when its grinding? It may be a little to high. Never herd of a auto tranny grinding going from reverse to neutral..... or do you mean reverse to drive? And as for grinding going into park that i only herd of that happenng if the can is rolling when doing so.

LX-incredible
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
It's normal on these cars. Simple explanation is that the idle is higher during warm up, putting more strain on the clutch discs during shifting.

Making sure your idle is within the specified range indicated on the hood sticker will help. Both of my autos had the idle turned up by the previous owners to reduce engine vibration...

DEEGO
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
It makes sense that it would grind due to a high RPM, I dont know the exact rpms but ill make a note of it tomorrow morning. I think they would be at 1K or 1200? The idle may be set high ill check that too. Thank you all ill post an update tomorrow morning.

DEEGO
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
After the car is warmed up rpms around 1K-1.2K if i shift from P to D without stopping I hear a single click or chuck sound. If I shift from P-R-N-D I hear grinding from R-N. I dont think its the rpms and I couldnt find any adjustment screw on the carb is that really hard to find or access? Would a tranny drain and refil be the best suggestion? If so how much fluid would it be?

stephensimmons
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Your idle should be around 850 or 900.

LX-incredible
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
That's plenty high to cause the grinding.