PDA

View Full Version : distributor interchange between years

newaccorddriver
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
ive tried searching for this, but havent been able to find what i am looking for.

is the 86 distributor able to be swapped into an 89? my old distributor that came off my 86 ex-i is known to be in good working order, and the 89 ex-i that i bought never came with a distributor.

griffonks
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I tried to check. I went to rockauto.com and tried to look up part numbers for 86EXI and 89EXI Dizzy's. No listing for an 86EXI there though. 87 and 89 were the same for AT. Rock auto had 4 closeout remaned distributors from Beck-Arnley for the 89EXI for $83 (Automatic).... pretty cheap but only a 30 day warranty.

Can't you look at an internet parts store in Canada (as the EXI's were all Canadian I think) and cross reference the numbers?

Good luck

newaccorddriver
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
autopartscanada didnt list a single one. called the local stores, and none of they had it stock, or even listed them.

kinda makes me wonder if there is a difference in manual and automatics now that you mention it

2drSE-i
01-24-2010, 04:24 PM
LXI/EXI are identical engine wise, other than some emissions stuff that shouldn't have anything to do with the distributor. Rockauto lists the same part numbers for both 86 and 89 EFI accords, but for the 86 it only lists one part. All it says is w/ Module.

All in all, I'd say its a gamble. If you have the part sitting around, I'd say just try it and let us know :thumbup:

newaccorddriver
01-24-2010, 06:44 PM
ive had the part sitting around for a couple years. im trying to narrow down what might have caused my engine to not fire up a few years ago when i tried starting it. so far, it can potentially be the main relay, all 4 fuel injectors, ECU MAP sensor, baro sensor and the distributor. i have spares of everything, im trying to narrow down my options before i bring my hopes up.

Demon1024
01-25-2010, 03:00 AM
I know for a fact it will work.
I just swapped my dizzy from my 86 to my 89 not a week ago. Have done it before i'm sure on the others.
Got 3 extras and swap them around when i think something might be up with one