PDA

View Full Version : misfiring

A18A
01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
i did search, but the results do not help me.

okay, my car has recently over the last couple weeks just suddenly started running like shit. when the car is warm, it hesitates in the lower rpm range up to about 2500 - 3000 rpm, then i get mad vtax and it shoots off like nothings wrong, although the motor does still feel weaker than it normally is. this only happened intermittently at first, but now it's happening most of the time i drive the car. anyway here's a few things i've done

cleaned dizzy cap
replaced o2 sensor, rotor, spark plugs & leads (with used, but cleaned & knowingly good ones)
removed mitsubishi floor mats
checked coolant & oil, all appears to be fine, nothing mixed, no leaks
checked ecu for codes, not showing any
replaced ecu, still running the same
checked cam timing, appears to be where it should be
compression is good
firing order is correct

i haven't replaced the fuel filter, or injectors. I don't feel like doing that (yet)

cant afford new stuff, so I just have to use my known good used stuff. which is why nothing on the car is new lol

another odd thing is all 4 spark plug tubes where full of oil, so i pulled off the valve cover to see that 3 of the seals that go over the spark plug tubes between the valve cover & head somehow went missing?!?!?!?! i honestly don't know how that happened, cause i know i always install those when i put on a valve cover, but 3 where missing??? and they're not all mangled up in the valve train either. very random

what should i do next? :help:

A18A
01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
so i just mixed all the leads & plugs around and it doesn't seem to hesitate any moar, it misfires every now and then, and still doesn't feel as powerful as normal, but i suppose that's to be expected when you use 20-25 year old things off different cars. poor thing could really do with a good service

89T
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
my best guess would be the oil in the tubes was shorting one or more of the spark plug leads out.

If one of the plugs fail to fire, it would foul the plug.
Pull the plugs, clean with a light sand paper and break parts cleaner, let dry then re-gap and reinstall.

Dr_Snooz
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Have you ohmed the plug wires?

charliekuney
01-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Vacuum lines? Mike said something to me that I couldn't comprehend, but what I got out of it was a blocked vacuum line can cause the car to fire early (or was it late?), which is the only "modification" the previous owner of my car did. It caused it to have a shakey idle and run rough. With a new line, it idles perfectly and seems to be a little peppier.

A18A
01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
my best guess would be the oil in the tubes was shorting one or more of the spark plug leads out.

If one of the plugs fail to fire, it would foul the plug.
Pull the plugs, clean with a light sand paper and break parts cleaner, let dry then re-gap and reinstall.

that's exactly what i done, minus the gapping (no feeler gauge to do it accurately

anyway i think the problem was mainly the dizzy, i swapped it with one from a f22 lol and it seems to be going as good as it used to. yay. i wish i could just have new parts though

labeledsk8r
01-29-2010, 12:19 AM
leave it to F22 parts to save the day lol,

but i agree it still sounds like spark issues, feeler gauges are mad cheep and is a recomended tool, if you were in the states id mail you one for free, incorect gaps alone can cause hesitation

AccordB20A
01-29-2010, 01:05 AM
now you know its ur dizy u can sell it those signle cam f22 dizzys alwlays fuck out :)

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 06:42 AM
now you know its ur dizy u can sell it those signle cam f22 dizzys alwlays fuck out :)

And they leave you stranded when they do.

A18A
01-29-2010, 06:51 AM
i have the dual dizzy mod, so that won't be a problem :)
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1670/s5303187medium.jpg

Nafs Asdf
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Omfglolwutbbq!!?!?

Nice mod :D

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh. :bow:

labeledsk8r
01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
you know you could probalby find a way to make that into some type of multi spark system

MessyHonda
01-31-2010, 01:31 AM
nice stuff

Civic Accord Honda
01-31-2010, 02:52 AM
And they leave you stranded when they do.

my civics made me push it home like 12 miles at midnight ><

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2010, 09:59 AM
my civics made me push it home like 12 miles at midnight ><

Well, the good news is that the Accord is going to also...