PDA

View Full Version : new engine?

Nio
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I've been thinking about this for a little while.

If today when I get the fuel injectors and other parts. I'm still having issues, I was thinking about just saving up for a A20a3 replacement with less mileage, I'm sure I can find one around here, if not I could always order it.

What do you guys think about this Idea.

cause for the price of fixing this engine I could get one with 60+ thousand miles less and more then likely in better running condition.

Just toss me your ideas or experiences you have had.

either would be great.

Joay
01-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Depending on where the motor comes form, you'll most likely be buying another set of problems. Maybe fewer problems, maybe less expensive ones, but problems nonetheless. Unless you source a rebuilt one, you're still buying a 20+ year old motor. If I was in your shoes I'd stick with what you have and work through it.

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

Of course if your rotating assembly or head are showing signs of failure and you can get a replacement for less than a rebuild kit + downtime, that makes a lot more sense.

2ndGenGuy
01-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Joay is on point. If you have nothing internally wrong with your engine, swapping in another engine probably won't fix it. A little normal wear won't cause any problems. But if you've got a cracked head, blown head gasket, or internal problems like Joay said, sometimes a known-good engine with a warranty can be a cheaper and quicker fix.

Nio
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Just checking, I'm just starting to get annoyed by all the issues with this engine....

If it turns out to not be my fuel injector that's causing the power loss, I'm going to be at a complete loss.

2ndGenGuy
01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
You have a thread you can link us to? Just in case someone sees this, but hasn't seen your other thread (like myself).

Nio
01-25-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71344&page=7

That's my build thread. I usually check up on it every couple hours for updates.

best way to get ahold of me if something pops up.

ecogabriel
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
You should make sure that your engine HAS an issue before deciding to discard it. Obvious issues are those described by others above.

As for used engines, you may ask Dr.Snooz about his experience with a "low-mileage" engine. Better yet, look for his thread on rebuilding his engine... and I'll leave it at that.

Nio
01-26-2010, 04:35 PM
You should make sure that your engine HAS an issue before deciding to discard it. Obvious issues are those described by others above.

As for used engines, you may ask Dr.Snooz about his experience with a "low-mileage" engine. Better yet, look for his thread on rebuilding his engine... and I'll leave it at that.

Well I have my fuel injectors now, and a couple of Ideas from a few other members. But I was tossing this around in head..

just as something to think about in case worst comes.

carotman
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

I'll have to remember this one.

This is 100% true.

ecogabriel
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Here is DrSnooz's thread... look at the postings half way down the page; look closely at the old pistons....

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66022&highlight=engine+rebuild&page=4

ecogabriel
01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I'll have to remember this one.

This is 100% true.

110% in agreement.

Nio
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Here is DrSnooz's thread... look at the postings half way down the page; look closely at the old pistons....

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66022&highlight=engine+rebuild&page=4

Well that makes this completely understandable

I think I'll stick with this demon. your right about that, atleast I know what's really wrong with her so far.

Thanks guys.

Dr_Snooz
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I got completely hosed on my "low-mileage Japanese engine." It was a ghetto-rigged, half-assed rebuild. If you count all the time and money I spent trying to diagnose it, I spent way more on it than I would have rebuilding my old engine. It was a double, triple epic fail. I've ended up rebuilding it all again and so I didn't escape the cost of the rebuild anyway. It was all an expensive exercise in exasperation.

In your case, I'd say it makes zero sense at all. You'll be buying a long block engine, which means you'll be hooking all the same old tired parts to it you have problems with already. You'll still have your clogged up injectors, you're bunged up torque rod, etc. etc. etc.

Like everyone else has said, unless there is a problem with the engine itself (low compression, blowing blue smoke under load, rod knock, etc.) you'll gain nothing by swapping.

MessyHonda
01-26-2010, 11:09 PM

yeah same thing happen to me...first the headgasket went with the low mileage engine....then one day the rings went after driving it a bit hard....my lxi engine lasted a long time for the abuse i put it thru

ecogabriel
01-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I got completely hosed on my "low-mileage Japanese engine." It was a ghetto-rigged, half-assed rebuild. If you count all the time and money I spent trying to diagnose it, I spent way more on it than I would have rebuilding my old engine. It was a double, triple epic fail. I've ended up rebuilding it all again and so I didn't escape the cost of the rebuild anyway. It was all an expensive exercise in exasperation.

In your case, I'd say it makes zero sense at all. You'll be buying a long block engine, which means you'll be hooking all the same old tired parts to it you have problems with already. You'll still have your clogged up injectors, you're bunged up torque rod, etc. etc. etc.

Like everyone else has said, unless there is a problem with the engine itself (low compression, blowing blue smoke under load, rod knock, etc.) you'll gain nothing by swapping.

(((Snooz, I would have boiled in my own blood... :eek:))) I remembered what you went through (photos included) and it was so f... pertinent here.

BAck to the thread, the idea is that you should get to know what you have in your hands. They are good cars but you have to put up with years of neglect, so you should expect a bit of things to diagnose and fix.

My car improved after bench-cleaning my injectors. It run better and fuel economy improved a bit. The second set I had from the yard worked OK but performance did not improve as they probably were also partially clogged.
If you have not yet cleaned the fuel tank, do so NOW before installing any new injectors and replace the fuel filter.

You may have noticed that there is a big pack of information around. People have very different agendas for their cars but many know them quite intimately. Just get in your mind what you want from the car (realistically) and start working towards it. My goal for mine is turning it into a dependable daily driver -no more, no less.

Nio
01-27-2010, 06:38 PM
(((Snooz, I would have boiled in my own blood... :eek:))) I remembered what you went through (photos included) and it was so f... pertinent here.

BAck to the thread, the idea is that you should get to know what you have in your hands. They are good cars but you have to put up with years of neglect, so you should expect a bit of things to diagnose and fix.

My car improved after bench-cleaning my injectors. It run better and fuel economy improved a bit. The second set I had from the yard worked OK but performance did not improve as they probably were also partially clogged.
If you have not yet cleaned the fuel tank, do so NOW before installing any new injectors and replace the fuel filter.

You may have noticed that there is a big pack of information around. People have very different agendas for their cars but many know them quite intimately. Just get in your mind what you want from the car (realistically) and start working towards it. My goal for mine is turning it into a dependable daily driver -no more, no less.

actually I'm keeping 4 extra fuel injectors *while used are better then nothing.*

and I plan to clean out my fuel tank on my next 3 days off. but what should I use to clean it, basic water. or what kind of chemical?

ecogabriel
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
actually I'm keeping 4 extra fuel injectors *while used are better then nothing.*

and I plan to clean out my fuel tank on my next 3 days off. but what should I use to clean it, basic water. or what kind of chemical?

I only cleaned a gas tank once from an old carbureted clunker. I removed the tank and hosed it until all the crap was gone; after that I left it to bake under the summer sun on my roof. Before cleaning, my fuel filters would clog after 2-3 months and dirt would seep inside the carburetor... ugly!

But being our tanks for fuel-injected I know they have buffers inside.
Beyond removing fuel pump and drain plug I do not want to venture further... Someone would have more pointed advice. :idea:

As for the extra injectors, keep them away from open air; a well-sealed plastic bag would be fine. Perhaps a little light oil inside them would prevent rust from forming.