PDA

View Full Version : Death Wobble?

*-=Duckumz=-*
01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
I have an 89 Lxi and last month i checked a curb after it snowed at maybe 10-15 mph and now my car has a major death wobble, or as i like to call it "auto-pilot" because it steers by itself and there is a ton of play in the wheel. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this, i was thinking maybe bent half-shafts? I dunno though, any pointers are appreciated! I recently bought a truck so i havent messed with the car yet...

2drSE-i
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Id be more willing to say either a severely bent wheel or you bent the lower control arm. Thats usually what bends/breaks on these cars.

stat1K
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
get under it and find out, why are you even posting this? it's called a jack, and your eyeballs, compare the one side to the other... go, do it now as you shouldn't drive a car like that.

w261w261
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Maybe the best thing is to take it to a garage, have someone put it up on a lift, and for 10 bucks take a quick look and see what is probably obvious. Could be the wheel, control arms, maybe the steering.

markmdz89hatch
01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
was it the front or the back wheel that checked the curb? Based on what you're saying I'm guessing it's the front, but please confirm.

Is the gap from the outer edge of the tire in the wheel well (both front and back of the wheel well) the same as on the other side that didn't hit?

Pop the hood and look for cracked or stress bent shock towers.

As Statik and w261 said, get under the car and take a look asap.

Inspect the tire as Adam said, and see if it's got any bubbles, or if the wheel has any bends in it (front and back of the wheel).

Then check your radius rod, front crossmember, upper control arm, tie-rod, ball-joints, and finally the lower control arm and it's mounting point on the rear crossmember. The problem you describe is way too vague and there's so many possibilities of what's wrong, but it's dead clear there's something very wrong from a safety standpoint. Something's bent for sure.

Pics?

Ichiban
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I would have figured out what went wong before I drove it again, let alone made it to a computer to post about it.

87AccordLXsdn
01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Dude why even bother posting if your just gonna bash him for driving it again and posting about it? Get off your fuckin high and mighty horse and help the dude out. You guys think that just cause you have over 1,000 posts that everyone should feel inferior to you. You too Stat1k. Almost every post from you has some wise ass comment before you get to your point. If you have something to say that could help em out, just say it! On that note, w261w261 is right. Take it to a garage and see what they have to say about it.

stat1K
01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
^ me too? how bout me especially, threads like this are pointless, this is what he said,

"i hit a curb and now my car wobbles, what did i fuck up"

no pics, no other explanation, just that he hit a curb and now his car wobbles, yeah let me guess 10 things that it could be.

my attitude has nothing to do with my post count, as you can see it's pretty low compared to the real pw's on this site. it has to do with general laziness and everyone wanting a quick fix without any work... get me?

i can be like the rest of you,

oh man you hit a curb? wow you should really check the wheel, the tie rods, the lca, the uca, the strut, the spring, the axle, the motor mount, and your radius rod to make sure it's not bent, there wasn't that more helpful?

... please.

87AccordLXsdn
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
That was more helpful, thanks! And I'm sure the OP appreciates it more than, "Duh, check it out, duh".

stat1K
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
wow you read sarcasm horribly... hey man i dented my fridge and now it's making a noise what's the problem?

87AccordLXsdn
01-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Well I'd suggest you check out a Frigidaire forum and see if they can help you. They might just tell you to fuck off and check it out yourself though...

stat1K
01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
as i would expect them to.

the real problem with it is i tried to knock myself out by running full speed face first into it after reading your lame ass response.

87AccordLXsdn
01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Hahaha I'd only hope you would!

Ichiban
01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
You've gotta be shitting me. stat1K took the works right out of my mouth.

Like, I think there's something wrong with my car, I don't know what it is, and I'm not gonna tell you. Can you come here and fix it please? By the way, I'm posting this on my phone from inside my car, have over 1000 posts, a bad attitude, and am afraid to get out and look at what might be wrong.

Please hurry, because it's getting cold out and I'm hungry. I'd like to get out of my car soon.

Ichiban
01-28-2010, 07:25 PM
By the way, "death wobble" more than implies he knows he shouldn't be driving it like this.

But he still does, then posts here about it. Why should I have any patience for someone who's endangering my family's life.

Or yours for that matter.

stat1K
01-28-2010, 07:33 PM
^

http://johnnavarro.net/images/WORD_0A.JPG

Civic Accord Honda
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
You've gotta be shitting me. stat1K took the works right out of my mouth.

Like, I think there's something wrong with my car, I don't know what it is, and I'm not gonna tell you. Can you come here and fix it please? By the way, I'm posting this on my phone from inside my car, have over 1000 posts, a bad attitude, and am afraid to get out and look at what might be wrong.

Please hurry, because it's getting cold out and I'm hungry. I'd like to get out of my car soon.

By the way, "death wobble" more than implies he knows he shouldn't be driving it like this.

But he still does, then posts here about it. Why should I have any patience for someone who's endangering my family's life.

+98709985437543!

for real go fucking jack the car up and check things out and then post man..

w261w261
01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Whew! You know, there's "whip 'em into shape" the Marine Corps way, and then there's the "guide them to the path of righteousness" the Father Flanigan way. I'm not partial to Father F., but I'm not sure this site needs to be like the Marines either. I say, cut the kid some slack, he's got 3 or 4 posts and maybe doesn't have much experience or knowledge about the car. He hasn't demonstrated chronic laziness or unwillingness to learn. He asked a respectful question, and I think deserves at a minimum our tentative respect. I don't think he deserves derision, and the almost instant flaming of him and between the members here drags the site into the muck. I know I'm here because I value the experience of learning more about my car and supporting others that feel the same way. I suggest that the short fuses that seem to be popping up more and more be lengthened somewhat.

Bass Man
01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I usually don't spend the time to reply to posts like this because I feel same way about it stat1k does, but I would rather not get people fired up.:stick: :beat:

Juggalo88Accord
01-29-2010, 03:26 AM

He also said he has a truck and hasnt messed with tha accord. I mean i understand what you guys are saying but there is no need to talk shit maybe he has no jack or jack stands i know i didnt when i first joined this site. And it is difficult to learn about these cars when you search and find nuthing but people talking shit an telling them to search. Im on Bass mans side with this one

lostforawhile
01-29-2010, 03:53 AM
wow you read sarcasm horribly... hey man i dented my fridge and now it's making a noise what's the problem?quit hitting the fridge with your head, is it a noise from the fridge? or a ringing in your ears from hitting the fridge with your head and denting it? If it's a ringing in your ears and you find yourself answering it, drive yourself straight to the nearest emergency room asap!!

markmdz89hatch
01-29-2010, 05:35 AM
quit hitting the fridge with your head, is it a noise from the fridge? or a ringing in your ears from hitting the fridge with your head and denting it? If it's a ringing in your ears and you find yourself answering it, drive yourself straight to the nearest emergency room asap!!

If he has a ringing in his ears from hitting his head so hard on the fridge why in the name of everything holy would anyone suggest he drive himself to the nearest ER? That's like telling senor death wobble to drive his car to a garage across town on the highway while speeding the whole way just to get there faster to find out what's wrong.

Alright guys so we're in agreement there's a ton of shit that could be wrong and we need more pics of it with the car jacked up? ...and yeah he did say it has a death wobble, implying that he's driven it since, but he also mentioned (as Juggs pointed out) that he's got a truck he's using so he doesn't have to drive the death wobbler.

ecogabriel
01-29-2010, 06:06 AM
I have an 89 Lxi and last month i checked a curb after it snowed at maybe 10-15 mph and now my car has a major death wobble, or as i like to call it "auto-pilot" because it steers by itself and there is a ton of play in the wheel. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this, i was thinking maybe bent half-shafts? I dunno though, any pointers are appreciated! I recently bought a truck so i havent messed with the car yet...

Maybe you forgot to mention that the weather (snow) may make car inspection difficult if not impossible especially if being done on a driveway/street/backyard.

Anyway, YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING IT!!! As for what to do, do what others have said: raise it and check both sides and the differences (bent/broken stuff) will become apparent. If in doubt, take photos and post'em... did I say DON'T DRIVE IT???

stat1K
01-29-2010, 06:14 AM
He also said he has a truck and hasnt messed with tha accord. I mean i understand what you guys are saying but there is no need to talk shit maybe he has no jack or jack stands i know i didnt when i first joined this site. And it is difficult to learn about these cars when you search and find nuthing but people talking shit an telling them to search. Im on Bass mans side with this one

lol icp.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Well, if the OP has bothered to read this far and hasn't headed off to Honda-Tech for some better treatment, then I'd look for a bent wheel first. How hard did you hit?

Please bear with us. A lot of us have been hit real hard by the economy and our jobs are crap and our lives suck. We're usually a lot more tolerant and helpful than this.

stat1K
01-29-2010, 06:25 AM
i don't know where you've been snooz but i've never been any more tolerant than i am now... maybe you ignored my posts for years :)

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I inhabit a strange and wonderful world, largely of my own creation. Occasionally, I leave it to walk amongst my fellow men. I read your posts and yes, I try to leave the bait where it sits. You may find your way to a better place or you may not. Either way, it probably won't have a lot to do with what I say. Meh.

lostforawhile
01-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I inhabit a strange and wonderful world, largely of my own creation. Occasionally, I leave it to walk amongst my fellow men. I read your posts and yes, I try to leave the bait where it sits. You may find your way to a better place or you may not. Either way, it probably won't have a lot to do with what I say. Meh.
Beavis has his own world lol

Sh4d0w
01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Whew! You know, there's "whip 'em into shape" the Marine Corps way, and then there's the "guide them to the path of righteousness" the Father Flanigan way. I'm not partial to Father F., but I'm not sure this site needs to be like the Marines either. I say, cut the kid some slack, he's got 3 or 4 posts and maybe doesn't have much experience or knowledge about the car. He hasn't demonstrated chronic laziness or unwillingness to learn. He asked a respectful question, and I think deserves at a minimum our tentative respect. I don't think he deserves derision, and the almost instant flaming of him and between the members here drags the site into the muck. I know I'm here because I value the experience of learning more about my car and supporting others that feel the same way. I suggest that the short fuses that seem to be popping up more and more be lengthened somewhat.

+1 qft

*passes out valium* ffs guys chill, and read his post.

Its snow that caused his curb check, hence crawling under it on the side of the road = not likely

he bought a truck that he's been driving, so he isn't "endangering your family or mine"

I presume he had to drive it home, hence he would notice said "death-wobble"

as for the OP - I'd wait till a decent day outside (unless you are blessed with a big enough garage) and jack your 3g up, and check out the 2 sides (the one that hit vs the one that didn't) and see whats different. If you are liek me, and not 420% sure what each little part is called, then once you have it up, post some pics of what's bent.

as for the half-shafts, they are quite thick, so I don't think they would be the first thing to bend. most likely one of the lower suspension bits. pics ftw

I hope you will come back and see that not all the members on here are total asshats... unfortunatly some of the most active posters have become so. It's too bad. Bring your flame shield!

epic1400cs
01-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I had a car like this soon after I had a license. The car was for dirt track and went into bush many times. Mine was even less auto pilot than what you wrote but when I was doing mid speed cornering on wet, I made dramatic oversteer big spin in the middle of Tokyo and crash into a truck running just next me :rockon:
Good luck fixing it as soon as you have time to avoid extra bill like I did! :D The damage really depends on how fast and from what angle you poked into it. It might be just a buckled wheel, might be just lower arm but it can also be sub frame. Tragedy will be fixing bits by bits and after spending some money you realized that main frame is shot and write-off. Can be great start for new project but if you are not sure, you should ask professionals advice first and make decision after that.

Ichiban
01-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I hope you will come back and see that not all the members on here are total asshats... unfortunatly some of the most active posters have become so. Bring your flame shield!

Mostly. Not completely. Maybe in a month or so yes, I'll become absolute asshat. But since I'm cutting back on this forum, hopefully not.

stat1K
01-30-2010, 10:39 AM
^ haha, too bad i have so much free time at work huh?

2ndGenGuy
01-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Thread locked. Since absolutely nothing is happening here except for people getting butthurt.