PDA

View Full Version : Okay something is wrong here

zildjian102
01-29-2010, 07:10 AM
On Monday i put some gas in to get me in between 3/4 and 1/2 a tank. It is now friday.. I have only driven 95 miles and its already on E. I'm not driving like an idiot either. Could it possibly be the cold weather?

w261w261
01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Make sure the climate control is on "fresh" and not "recirc." If you don't smell gas when you are stopped with the engine running that's good. Park the car and let it idle, open the hood and give it a good sniff. If you don't smell gas that's good. Put the car in reverse and back slowly up for 100 feet and see if you smell raw gas (you'll probably smell the exhaust). If you don't that's good too. Park the car and leave it for an hour in a garage if you can, then get down and see if anything is dripping or you smell gas. If not, that's good.

Fill the car up and note the miles on the odometer. Drive it till it's almost empty and fill it up again. Divide the miles driven by the number of gallons and see what your mileage is. Don't bother with the partial fills and the "almost empty" stuff. You need a full tank to full tank with a couple of hundred miles in between to get a better idea. If there's a problem come back to us.

If you smell some gas, it could be several things. If it's a real strong smell park the car and get help or post another message here.