PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel/flexplate broken?

luvestoospooge
01-31-2010, 08:35 PM
on my automatic 89 lxi auto yesterday i was getting on the highway, and when i started to accelerate the transmission felt like it "popped into neutral" like it was just reving and not going anywhere, so i coasted it into a nearby parking lot and cut it off. tryed to restart and the starter engaged the ring gear and spun it but it seems to not be in contact with the engine, was wondering if its possible for the flexplate to fail or come unbolted?

a little history on the car..... 6k miles before this (2 years time passed since repair) cv boots, new torque converter, tranny flush and new starter, at a honda specialty repair shop. thanks in advance!

AccordEpicenter
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
i guess it could happen, i would pull the small cover between the engine and trans and slowly turn the engine to make sure that there are still 8 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate. The starter ring gear is welded to the torque converter in these cars.

luvestoospooge
02-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Anybody know where to find a flexplate other than a junkyard? im really not feeling tearing into 2 cars for a 15 dollar part which may not be any better than the one that broke!

i really prefer a new one if anybody knows any good websites, or a specialty store in the northern houston area? all they sell at o'reillys is flywheels for manuals.

Bluntman
02-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Anybody know where to find a flexplate other than a junkyard? im really not feeling tearing into 2 cars for a 15 dollar part which may not be any better than the one that broke!

i really prefer a new one if anybody knows any good websites, or a specialty store in the northern houston area? all they sell at o'reillys is flywheels for manuals.

I believe the Honda part numbers are still active and available. Make sure you tear it apart first to make sure that's what you need. I didn't find anything new other than dealer.http://bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KL4AT&catcgry5=AT+TORQUE+CONVERTER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List+All&prdrefno=&quantity=0&act=&count=0&hidSwitch=&hidIrno=

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I had one fail years ago. I had "help" installing my rebuilt transmission and in the fun, one of the dowel pins got wedged between the bell housing and block. It put the trans out of alignment just enough to cause cracking around the crank bolts. It also made the outer bolts hit the sides of the bellhousing and give off the most amazing clatter you've ever heard. Those plates can stand a hell of a lot of torsional load, but very little bending stress. I've never heard of them just up and breaking though without something weird going on.

The new flex plate should definitely come from the junkyard, but you shouldn't drop a tranny to get one. Take your time and find the car that someone else have taken the tranny out of and get that one. If you find you can't get the bolts out because the crankshaft keeps turning, just drop a 3/8" socket extension down a spark plug hole and you'll be good. Don't throw money away on a new one. It's completely not necessary

cygnus x-1
02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
You know, I might actually have one I could sell you for cheap. A few years ago I bought an '88 A20 to rebuild and put into my Prelude. The engine happened to be from an automatic and I have a manual so I didn't use it. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll see if I still have it. The guy I bought the engine from was a Honda dealer mechanic so I trust he knew what he was doing when he removed it from the car.

The cheapest place to get a new one will probably be here:

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/

$101 doesn't exactly sound like a bargain to me.

C|

luvestoospooge
02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
thanks for the replys! i really appreciate the help, ill keep yall informed on the progress!

luvestoospooge
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
sweet, found a a20a3 complete motor with flexplate and headers for 60$ on craigslist :) 120k miles and 140-155 psi compression across the board, got lucky on this one! gonna go pick it up tomorrow hopefully!

cygnus x-1
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
sweet, found a a20a3 complete motor with flexplate and headers for 60$ on craigslist :) 120k miles and 140-155 psi compression across the board, got lucky on this one! gonna go pick it up tomorrow hopefully!

Compression is kind of on the low side but the variation is good. Sounds like you found a bargain. Buy it before someone else gets it.

C|