PDA

View Full Version : Sudden accellerations in '86 Accords

TheWatcher
02-02-2010, 02:41 AM
I was reading the Wikipedia article about Toyota's recall, and I came across a reference of "sudden acceleration" in 1986 Honda Accords.

Here's the url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_acceleration

1986 Honda Accords were documented to have had sudden acceleration incidents due to the Vehicle Speed Control component, as reported to the NHTSA.

Wikipedia referenced this url: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=DP88008&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

HTSA Action Number : DP88008 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
HONDA / ACCORD 1986
Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
Component :
VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:LINKAGES
Date Investigation Opened : January 13, 1988
Date Investigation Closed : March 30, 1988
Summary:
ACCORD SUDDEN ACCEL-SEE DP87-026

I don't remember reading about "sudden acceleration" in 1986 Honda Accords when I lurked/posted here, so I thought I post to give '86 Accord owners the 411.

My apology if this has already been posted and/or if this is already well known among '86 Accord owners.

BTW, sorry I haven't posted more detail, but evidently, you have to pay for them to "research it" and print it for you ... and I don't own an '86 Accord.

Peace.

stat1K
02-02-2010, 08:23 AM
vehicle speed control component = throttle cable.

i've had a throttle cable stick, it's not really the end of the world when it's a mechanical malfunction. put fut under pedal and pull up, otherwise blip the pedal and then do the first part.

but you're right i never saw this before at least as a reported problem, but i'm sure honda just reissued throttle cables.

lostforawhile
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I think it was because of the throttle cables on carbed cars melting where they got neat the exhaust manifold if the clips broke,

stat1K
02-02-2010, 01:34 PM
that would make sense... wire would pull on acceleration, jacket would melt and then the wire would not be able to return to closed position.

lostforawhile
02-02-2010, 01:44 PM
that would make sense... wire would pull on acceleration, jacket would melt and then the wire would not be able to return to closed position.

it's mostly binding, the carb cable is longer so it goes near the exhaust manifold, if those little clips break the cable can melt

stat1K
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
right so exactly what i just typed because i was agreeing with you. if the jacket melts then the cable can't move freely in and out of it (read binding).

lostforawhile
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
right so exactly what i just typed because i was agreeing with you. if the jacket melts then the cable can't move freely in and out of it (read binding).

yep except on our cars you can turn off the key, take the car out of gear, or push the clucth, unlike toyodas which run out of control while you try and turn them off.

stat1K
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
iknorite!

DBMaster
02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
You've got to be kidding. I don't think these cars are even capable of "sudden" acceleration. LOL