PDA

View Full Version : hood release cable is broken

Edison Carasio
02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I think my hood release cable is broken. The hood shuts and the latch catches, but if I put my hand in the grill and pull up it's like someone just pulled the release in the car. Are these difficult to replace? I looked through the shop manual and my Haynes but neither really talks about the cable. I'm gonna try and look at it this weekend to see if maybe there's an issue with the latch (was dark out last night) but I don't think so.

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
It's possible that it's sticky. If it were broken broken, you wouldn't be able to get the hood open. And that's a lot of fun. Check the adjustment of the latch first though.

Bluntman
02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
I sprayed the spring on the latch assembly with some lube, and it works very well.

1989accordaz
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Mine broke just a few days ago. And the hood would not open at all. So I ended up removing the front bumper, then a front crossbar that is under the bumper, then the latch assembly.

At the latch, there is a plastic thing that holds the cable end in place. If that plastic part brakes like it did mine then your cable will more than likely come loose and you will not be able to open it at all.

I haven't fixed my problem yet.

Like others suggested, spray the latch assy wiith WD40, that may help.

senor honda
02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
When mine broke at the handle inside the car, I went to the fender and cut the outer cable in two places. That gave me a wire to wrap around my hand and pull, to open the hood.

In another instance, I unbolted the latch mechanism...one bolt at the bottom
and 2 at the top.....that let me lift up the hood......-Bob

Edison Carasio
02-12-2010, 08:15 AM
I can shut the hood and open it, but it's not tight and I don't want it flipping up when I get on the highway. I'll check it out later today since I only have a half day at work.

senor honda
02-13-2010, 02:46 AM
To keep my hood tight and as a safety backup device, I use hood pins.-Bob

MessyHonda
02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
To keep my hood tight and as a safety backup device, I use hood pins.-Bob

i dont like the way they look...i seen some nice flush ones but they are too much money

Edison Carasio
02-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I sprayed the spring with some WD40 and let it sit and it works like new! Thanks guys. I did the trunk latch for good measure.

Bluntman
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I sprayed the spring with some WD40 and let it sit and it works like new! Thanks guys. I did the trunk latch for good measure.

I was hoping that was it.:cheers: