PDA

View Full Version : RockAuto Introduction

RockAuto
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
RockAuto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) is an online auto parts store founded in Madison, Wisconsin in 1999 by the Taylor family. RockAuto.com now ships thousands of auto parts from over 100 manufacturers to customers on every continent except Antarctica.

The RockAuto.com catalog is updated daily with mechanical parts like brake pads and shock absorbers, body parts like bumpers and mirrors, interior trim like door handles and carpets, and major assemblies like steering gears, CV axles, and engine long blocks. Service manuals and CDs are available to help customers learn how to perform a repair. The RockAuto.com catalog is expanding constantly. Someday it may be possible to build an entire car using parts from RockAuto.com!

RockAuto.com prices are low every day! Order online at RockAuto.com 24 hours a day. Parts are conveniently delivered to your door. Have parts questions that must be answered accurately? RockAuto.com has excellent customer service agents ready to help you get the parts you need. E-mail service @ rockauto.com or call Toll Free, 1-866-762-5288. (7am to 10pm Mon-Thurs, 7am to 9pm Fri, 8am to 4pm Sat -Sun, Central Time).

mushroom_toy
02-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Too bad my rad support that I bought for my toyo pickup rusted through in like 2 months. :(

Tomisimo
02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Now we get 5% off discount on any purchase from RockAuto.com. We made a deal with them so Our members get parts even cheaper. RockAuto is already a nice price autoparts store.

A18A
02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
cool beans. i was wondering why this was important lol

2ndGenGuy
02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Too bad my rad support that I bought for my toyo pickup rusted through in like 2 months. :(

Did you paint it? I'm pretty sure that parts like that need to be primed and painted for corrosion protection. At least the last radiator support I bought was like that. Just came with a light primer for shipping...

cubert
02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Yea..they definitely saved my ass when it came to getting stock springs for my mums mazda...dealer wanted to screw me on that.

Nice to know theres even more of a discount now :thumbup:

ghettogeddy
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Now we get 5% off discount on any purchase from RockAuto.com. We made a deal with them so Our members get parts even cheaper. RockAuto is already a nice price autoparts store.

were does it say that

and did anyone notice he has 10 post but really only has 2 lol

A18A
02-03-2010, 01:51 PM
the rest must be in teh omgtopsecretmod/admin forum or something :P

mushroom_toy
02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Did you paint it? I'm pretty sure that parts like that need to be primed and painted for corrosion protection. At least the last radiator support I bought was like that. Just came with a light primer for shipping...

Was prepainted, not just primer, but gloss paint. Its just a lot of the metal replacement parts are so thin, that even painted they will rust.

carotman
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Was prepainted, not just primer, but gloss paint. Its just a lot of the metal replacement parts are so thin, that even painted they will rust.

Metal thickness affects it's ability to resist surface rust?

This "black paint" is protective primer. All Honda OEM brand new parts come with the same paint. It NEEDS to be painted before it's installed.

The reason for this is that it allows the buyer to have the item painted to match his car color.

Welcome here Rockauto guys!!!. Everything will be fine as long as you carry a long selection of parts for our cars :D

Edison Carasio
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM

This "black paint" is protective primer. All Honda OEM brand new parts come with the same paint. It NEEDS to be painted before it's installed.

The reason for this is that it allows the buyer to have the item painted to match his car color.

Welcome here Rockauto guys!!!. Everything will be fine as long as you carry a long selection of parts for our cars :D

Ok so that explains why the exhaust I yanked from a RSX Type-S to put on my Fit is an ugly flat black color.

mushroom_toy
02-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Read my post. It was a primer and the paint, i had to remove some before I spotwelded and I had two layers; a primer layer and a painted layer. Dont ask me why but thats how mine was. It was not just primer, Ive painted enough stuff to know what a unprimered unpainted piece feels and looks like and what a unpainted primered surface feels and looks like.

lostforawhile
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Read my post. It was a primer and the paint, i had to remove some before I spotwelded and I had two layers; a primer layer and a painted layer. Dont ask me why but thats how mine was. It was not just primer, Ive painted enough stuff to know what a unprimered unpainted piece feels and looks like and what a unpainted primered surface feels and looks like.
that black primer looks just like paint but it's really primer, a lot of people think it's paint, if something is properly prepped and painted it shouldn't rust period, how thin the metal is has no bearing on if it will rust. what you are looking at are actually two different layers of primer.

2ndGenGuy
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
What does this look like to you? It's shiny, and there's a coating beneath it, but guess what... it's called an e-coat. It's not designed with any serious, long term corrosion protection in mind, only for storage and shipping, it needs to be stripped or painted over. It will not last.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/miatafuck/S6301335.jpg

lostforawhile
02-03-2010, 04:45 PM
What does this look like to you? It's shiny, and there's a coating beneath it, but guess what... it's called an e-coat. It's not designed with any serious, long term corrosion protection in mind, only for storage and shipping, it needs to be stripped or painted over. It will not last.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/miatafuck/S6301335.jpg
most of the time a good sanding with 220 to take off the gloss and it will take primer pretty good.

Tomisimo
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM
were does it say that

and did anyone notice he has 10 post but really only has 2 lol

Dont be so skeptical ;) We done a deal with them, for our members.. But we still figuring out how to distribute discount code. It will come soon enough.

Me been busy with this project for past 2 weeks making it possible, I'm looking into more Web based companies at the moment, that might be willing to do the same for our members..

lostforawhile
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Yea I don't think this is spam or anything, this is just a discount they are offering us which is a good thing and can help everyone here. A lot of sites work deals with auto parts retailers to get discounts for their members.

snoopyloopy
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
sweet, i just placed an order with them this past weekend! had my own discount code already, but now it's good to know that i don't have to worry about mine expiring anymore! :)

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Woohoo! Five percent beats a sharp stick in the eye any day. Welcome to you RockAuto!! I love your site. I love the prices and I love the parts!

ShyBoyCA6
02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
wow i never since a site with all the list of cars even down to the early 80's and prices are great and the relays are like half price i think i might get one

ShyBoyCA6
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=2ndGenGuy;1001422]What does this look like to you? It's shiny, and there's a coating beneath it, but guess what... it's called an e-coat. It's not designed with any serious, long term corrosion protection in mind, only for storage and shipping, it needs to be stripped or painted over. It will not last.[QUOTE]

can it be a hood for a 2nd gen accord??

2ndGenGuy
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep, the discount should be pretty sweet! Maybe we can put it in a thread that only members can view. Kind of like the HowTo section is not visible to non-members.

mushroom_toy
02-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Ok heres what i said. It wasnt ecoat on my product you fools. Like i have continued to say it was actual primer and paint. I have ordered other metal parts with that on it for other cars and i have cleaned prepped, primered, and painted! My core support had primer underneath a real paint not that stupid shit. I can tell the difference!!!! Unfortunately no one obviously believes me. Well thats how my product came, it was probably one in a million, i was just throwing it out there. If I could dig the part out of the dumpster I threw it in over a year ago I would show yall, but then you probably wouldnt look with your own eyes and believe me.. Doesnt matter anyway. I have bought other stuff from rockauto and it has been great product for the money. Was only speaking about one item I received./end. Dont get your panties in a bunch when its not your product you received.

Civic Accord Honda
02-04-2010, 12:50 AM
LOIL I LOVE TYOU MAN but yeahh rockautoo is the shit!!! <3 them!

Nio
02-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Wow sweet. :D I think I now have a site I can go to online.

DBMaster
02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I have been using Rock Auto for a few years now. What I like best is that there is usually a range of options, depending upon how much you're willing to spend. I have purchased quite a few OEM equivalent parts from their site. The catalog is easy to use and the photos really help. If it's something I don't need in a hurry I check there first before going to Majestic. My Moog front UCA's were a closeout deal from Rock Auto.

accord1989
02-09-2010, 02:06 AM
how do we get a discount ??? or is that bull ?

Tomisimo
02-09-2010, 05:47 AM
find a thread in How To section.. and read.. there you find how and where to post a discount code. its not a Bull!!

87accordlxi
02-09-2010, 07:49 AM
how do we get a discount ??? or is that bull ?

There is an announcement at the top of every forum

http://www.3geez.com/forum/announcement.php?f=14&a=75

car6289
02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I just compared some prices of various 3G parts I have purchased locally versus Rockauto.com prices. Holy Shit!!!! Time to give the local auto parts stores their pink slips. Plus a 5% discount. Thank you Tomisimo et al.