PDA

View Full Version : I revved it to high...

Mike Me-z
10-06-2002, 02:32 PM
last night, i was with a bunch of my friends, and we were leaving the house. somebody behind me decided to rev their engine, and me, being an idiot, decided to bury mine into like 8,000 rpm's. I quickly had to pull over, as my perfect condition 89 started running like my old buick: coughing, idling funny, DYING!

Today my dad looked at it and found something in my engine bay that looked like its missing a cap. Its underneath the air intake and right next to the fuse box. It has about two vaccum hoses going into it, but theres nothing on top. my dad thinks i might have blown a cap off.

Any help would be appreciated.

njpeter
10-06-2002, 02:49 PM
start with the big one on the drivers side..sound like one may have slipped off..and why run to 8,000?...max power is at 6300...of course if a shift costs you your car, run it that high

A20A1
10-06-2002, 02:58 PM
max power is at 5,500 rpm... the redline is at 6,200 - 6,300 rpm

pass the redline and thing start breakin.

Let me tell you why your car died... and then you will have to hope you didn't break anything else...

Your car has an RPM fuel cut... when you reach a high rpm the fuel pump shuts down and your carburetor won't get anymore gas... so it dies, sometimes not right away. You have to turn the car off wait a while and refill the float bowl by turning the key to the second position then turning it off... do this a few times (10 perhaps).

A20A1
10-06-2002, 03:02 PM
Oh and yes that is a vacuum solenoid... it has a plastic cap with a filter in it. If you lost the cap it's not too big a deal... if you look on the right side of your car, by the powersteering resivoir you can see a simmilar solenoid with the same type of cap on it.

dXsquared
10-06-2002, 03:54 PM
he didnt shift there he just reved it to that!
Travis

Mike Me-z
10-06-2002, 04:13 PM
yeah, i was parked

Mike Me-z
10-06-2002, 04:17 PM
so is there any possibility that i might have ruined my fuel pump in the process?

A20A1
10-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Most likely you did not damage the fuel pump... but the valves and oil seals and pistons and bearings and ignition coil may have been damaged.

You may have heard how I rev to 7,500 rpm constantly... but I've done a few mods to make reving high a bit safer.