PDA

View Full Version : Setting timing on Build... Backfire!

parkersnine
02-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Well...Long time since last post..Now engine is all reassembled but when I tried to start for the first time the thing backfired and will not start. I looked at the shop manual and it tells how to set timing on a RUNNING engine. Can someone help in the best way to make sure I get it in the ball park on an engine that has been previously disassembled to get it started. I wimped out and paid a reputable mechanic install the timing belt and adjust the valve lash . I can see the old mark were it was previously set but it does not work there. Thanks!

nswst8
02-06-2010, 12:43 PM
The cam gear has alignment marks that align with the head.

The crank shaft aligns of the flywheel. You can sight it in with the #1 cylinder to TDC, I'd just throw the flywheel on and align it with the timing mark.

parkersnine
02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Soo...Number 1@tdc on compression stroke;The distributor only goes in one way...Correct? Cannot go on 180 degrees out..The flywheel and trans are all assembled..Should the marks on flywheel and pointer then be visible through the site hole @ this point?

LX-incredible
02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Correct. Check that marks on the the cam gear align with the top of the head when T on the flywheel aligns with the pointer. UP on the cam gear will face up when at TDC #1, down at TDC #4. Firing order is 1,3,4,2.

stephensimmons
02-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Make sure you wire it clock wise on the dizzy and not counter clockwise bc ive done that before and it will backfire also.

parkersnine
02-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I rechecked that and its correct. Will look at the previous suggestions soon. Thanks!

senor honda
02-12-2010, 12:10 AM
The Hitachi distr on my '89 Accord cannot be put in 180 degrees off.

However the cap might be used on several types of cars. Plugging in the wires
where the numbers said they went was not where they went on my Accord.....the wires were 270 degrees off....

It would not run at all with the incorrect setting...when I got it right, it cranked and ran REALLY well.
----------------
1-get the firing order right.
2-if it doesn't run well to start, move the wires over by one position....
if it doesn't run well, move the wires over one more position....
repeat until it runs good.-Bob