PDA

View Full Version : Leaking power steering line@rack...

parkersnine
02-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Replaced the rack while the Accord was dismantled . Upon refilling the power steering fliuid one of the four fittings that screw into bottom of the rack now leaks(drip,drip). The only thing is that the leak is not were the threads are @ the rack but were the line and the fitting meet( ya know the fitting rotates on the line in order to tighten it and there is a flange inside that it is supposed to be tightened against).This line looks like a brake line . The thing is screwed very tight into the rack . I guess the fluid has to be drained and am wondering if I must get a new line or another remedy....

LX-incredible
02-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Remove the fitting with a line wrench of the correct size, check for foreign objects or damage, and retighten. You will not get the lines tight enough with a regular wrench.

stephensimmons
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Also when you take the line loose slide the nut up and inspect the line real good where the nut rests up against to keep the line tight and make sure there isnt a hair line crack rite above the flang up under the nut.

senor honda
02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
About 3 years ago I removed the entire power steering from my '89 Accord. Hoses, reservoir, pump, belt,... I made a lightweight aluminum blockoff plate to cover where the hoses connected to the rack.

A person doesn't need power steering on a small car.
It is a myth that power steering fluid lubricates the rack.
More things mean more things to break.....or leak....-Bob

lostforawhile
02-12-2010, 12:01 AM
About 3 years ago I removed the entire power steering from my '89 Accord. Hoses, reservoir, pump, belt,... I made a lightweight aluminum blockoff plate to cover where the hoses connected to the rack.

A person doesn't need power steering on a small car.
It is a myth that power steering fluid lubricates the rack.
More things mean more things to break.....or leak....-Bobit's not a myth on these cars the fluid is the lubricant for the rack.

senor honda
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
If power steering fluid lubricates the rack on a power steering rack,
instead of grease......

1. What does a person believe lubricates the rack on a manual rack?
2. What does a person believe is the miracle that allows my car to
operate manually for years?

Inquiring minds want to know....-Bob

it's not a myth on these cars the fluid is the lubricant for the rack.

lostforawhile
02-12-2010, 12:31 AM
If power steering fluid lubricates the rack on a power steering rack,
instead of grease......

1. What does a person believe lubricates the rack on a manual rack?
2. What does a person believe is the miracle that allows my car to
operate manually for years?

Inquiring minds want to know....-Bob

a manual rack is different and takes grease, these are not a manual rack, do a search this has been covered over and over. the holy grail for these cars is a true manual rack, but it involves a non US car and cross member and I still haven't seen one done.

senor honda
02-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Keep it quiet, but a power steering rack is also lubricated with grease
when a person takes it apart to look. If a power steering rack were lubricated with power steering fluid, it would be apparent when the boot is removed.
We see grease lubricating both racks when the boots are removed.

Power steering fluid reduces the effort to turn the wheel slightly,
but does not lubricate the rack, otherwise my rack and many others would have ceased to operate a long time ago..........but I don't object that some people spend their money to buy a "recirculating kit" when all they need is a blockoff plate......and I really don't have to convince anyone of
anything....-Bob

a manual rack is different and takes grease, these are not a manual rack, do a search this has been covered over and over. the holy grail for these cars is a true manual rack, but it involves a non US car and cross member and I still haven't seen one done.

AZmike
02-12-2010, 10:26 PM
it's not a myth on these cars the fluid is the lubricant for the rack.

A power rack from our cars will work fine without fluid. The small amount of residual PSF left inside is enough to keep the piston and a few seals from dragging. All of the mechanical parts that are common between manual and power steering racks are still greased (bushings, bearings, rack and pinion).

The weakness of a converted power rack is the slack that the pinion holder adds to the system. The pinion holder is free to rotate a little so not all steering motion is transfered to the rack. This small motion modulates the power assist in a functioning power rack. This slack can be eliminated with some epoxy putty carefully added to the control valve assembly for a more thorough manual conversion.

senor honda
02-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the info, Mike.-Bob

parkersnine
02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Well....purchased correct tool to tighten the lines with. Was going okay till that horrible moment when it gets suddenly easy. Bottom line is that one line on the reman rack was cross threaded and the housing cracked.Bummer...The good thing is that we did not return the old rack for the core and was able to unbolt the area of rack that all the lines bolt into and replace it with the old one. Thanks for all the suggestions....

russiankid
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Keep it quiet, but a power steering rack is also lubricated with grease
when a person takes it apart to look. If a power steering rack were lubricated with power steering fluid, it would be apparent when the boot is removed.
We see grease lubricating both racks when the boots are removed.

Power steering fluid reduces the effort to turn the wheel slightly,
but does not lubricate the rack, otherwise my rack and many others would have ceased to operate a long time ago..........but I don't object that some people spend their money to buy a "recirculating kit" when all they need is a blockoff plate......and I really don't have to convince anyone of
anything....-Bob

Inside the boot is a ball joint which does take grease.

luvestoospooge
02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
kinda had a similar problem, my power steering pump loosened up, so i took the belt off, and when i had the time to re tighten the belt it blew some seal (honestly havent even messed with it yet) and spewed 15 dollars of fluid out a seal from my rack when i started bleeding it it :( oh well, i randomly get 50-80 miles to a tank more, idk if the power steering had something to do with it or if it was a coincidence, but its a good workout now and i get better mileage, so im not touching it :)

mward
10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I may have to do this. My rack is barfing fluid out when I turn it to lock. I don't want to replace the rack or put a ton of money into the car so maybe just disconnecting everything is in order. Seems about half of you say it'll cause cancer, and the other half say it won't.